Clutterbuck Very Disappointing in Debut, But Getting Better???

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Wow not what I was expecting. I don't think this guy could knock over a scarecrow. Hope he plays better or ship him off the team asap.

It was his first game of the year, missed a couple weeks without practice because of injury, in a new system, with new players, have to give the guy a few games at least.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It was his first game of the year, missed a couple weeks without practice because of injury, in a new system, with new players, have to give the guy a few games at least.

this....If he still plays like this 10 games in then we have a problem

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I agree...he didn't look as we expected, but if you did watch him play, he was playing with effort, which is MORE than I can say about some of our other players. At least he was driving the boards and trying to be physical.

He doesn't know out system, he hasn't had time to build chemstry. Honesty, Clutterbuck, right now, is the least of our worries.

nyislesx23

Oct 4, 2008
It was his first game of the season. Even he said he was winded in the first period. Calm down

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Clutterbum!

I agree he looked terrible out there. He looks like he can't even knock a player over with a hit which is about all he is good for.

I love having him on this team but he should sit until he feels healthy enough to play his game.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
The guy said he was winded during the 1st period. How about let him get his conditioning back before calling him terrible?

Some of the worst over reactors on this forum. Forgot how absurd people can get during the season.

tomthestone*

Wild fan here coming to this thread in peace.

I've been casually paying attention to NYI since the draft day trade, and have been anxiously awaiting Clutterbuck's debut. Bummer to hear he disappointed the fans, but in shape, accustomed to systems or not, he likely provided a preview of what he brings to the table.

Clutter will play his heart out pretty much every night, there's no denying that part of his game. That said, he doesn't bang and crash anywhere near enough to warrant his reputation as a feared hitter in the league. His offensive game is non-existent (no real passing ability, frequently misses the net) outside of his straight-line speed, which can be considered plus. It's very early, but Matt Cooke has shown up in Minnesota and been exponentially more effective than Clutterbuck in the same role. Not positive off the top of my head, but I believe their contracts are very comparable.

I also see Bouchard has zero points and a staggering one shot while sporting a -1 through four games. My deepest apologies to all of you for having to watch him wear your colors. He'll certainly push your patience -- any fan who sticks with their squad while 96 is on the roster should be commended. And may want to look into insuring his or her television set.

And then there's Nino. Kid looks like a real player. Have to think he could have helped in some capacity last year during the playoffs. It must be frustrating following the Islanders knowing they're inches away from making a serious run with a gamebreaker like Tavares in the lineup, only to see curious moves made.

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
And then there's Nino. Kid looks like a real player. Have to think he could have helped in some capacity last year during the playoffs. It must be frustrating following the Islanders knowing they're inches away from making a serious run with a gamebreaker like Tavares in the lineup.

"real players" don't pout when they don't get called up for training camp. "real players" don't demand trades

tomthestone*

"real players" don't pout when they don't get called up for training camp. "real players" don't demand trades

Say what you will. That's water under the bridge now. I'm just saying your front office should have pulled Jason Zucker, or some kind of prospect of quality in exchange for someone who carries the toolbox that Nino does to work every day.

Instead, your guy Garth took in a bender (Clutterbuck) on an expired contract. Then he paid that plug more than UFA Matt Cooke, who is twice, maybe three times the player and plays the same game.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Wild fan here coming to this thread in peace.

I've been casually paying attention to NYI since the draft day trade, and have been anxiously awaiting Clutterbuck's debut. Bummer to hear he disappointed the fans, but in shape, accustomed to systems or not, he likely provided a preview of what he brings to the table.

Clutter will play his heart out pretty much every night, there's no denying that part of his game. That said, he doesn't bang and crash anywhere near enough to warrant his reputation as a feared hitter in the league. His offensive game is non-existent (no real passing ability, frequently misses the net) outside of his straight-line speed, which can be considered plus. It's very early, but Matt Cooke has shown up in Minnesota and been exponentially more effective than Clutterbuck in the same role. Not positive off the top of my head, but I believe their contracts are very comparable.

I also see Bouchard has zero points and a staggering one shot while sporting a -1 through four games. My deepest apologies to all of you for having to watch him wear your colors. He'll certainly push your patience -- any fan who sticks with their squad while 96 is on the roster should be commended. And may want to look into insuring his or her television set.

And then there's Nino. Kid looks like a real player. Have to think he could have helped in some capacity last year during the playoffs. It must be frustrating following the Islanders knowing they're inches away from making a serious run with a gamebreaker like Tavares in the lineup, only to see curious moves made.

It's fine if you want to post about Clutterbuck.... But can we please not bring up niño when talking about Clutterbuck?:shakehead

As for Clutterbuck, give him time. He is coming off an injury where he has been clearly rushed.

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
Say what you will. That's water under the bridge now. I'm just saying your front office should have pulled Jason Zucker, or some kind of prospect of quality in exchange for someone who carries the toolbox that Nino does to work every day.

Instead, your guy Garth took in a bender (Clutterbuck) on an expired contract. Then he paid that plug more than UFA Matt Cooke, who is twice, maybe three times the player and plays the same game.

do you understand the concept of value? nino had none. the fact that we got an nhl player in return for an overgrown baby is commendable.

i'd rather not have trash like cooke and nino on my team thanks.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

I don't know if Matt Cooke is 2 or 3x better than anyone

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I really hope Niño can put points up playing with Parise.... Niño did not fit with this team at ALL with his lack of speed. Calling Clutterbuck a bender makes you look idiotic and he was a RFA... The NYI then signed him to a a contract since he really opulent sign anywhere else anyway.

Enjoy Niño and your superstar Matt Cooke that the Pens didn't even resign and we will enjoy Clutterbuck.

tomthestone*

do you understand the concept of value? nino had none. the fact that we got an nhl player in return for an overgrown baby is commendable.

i'd rather not have trash like cooke and nino on my team thanks.

Totally get you on value. I'm just certain that a prospect with any kind of
upside would have been a better pickup. Let's not forget NYI weren't parting with a member of the big club, even if Nino was easily one of the best 12 forwards in the organization.

Nino probably wasn't worth much on the trading block, but Clutterbuck has been overrated for years. Guys like him are a dime a dozen and he was set to get a raise. Talk about value? Nino and his sub $1 million salary versus Clutterbuck and his $3M+ with a low cap. How's that look?

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
upside would have been a better pickup. Let's not forget NYI weren't parting with a member of the big club, even if Nino was easily one of the best 12 forwards in the organization.

Nino probably wasn't worth much on the trading block, but Clutterbuck has been overrated for years. Guys like him are a dime a dozen and he was set to get a raise. Talk about value? Nino and his sub $1 million salary versus Clutterbuck and his $3M+ with a low cap. How's that look?

You are also forgetting the team chemistry dynamic. One of the isles greatest strengths is the culture in the lockeroom. Niño was apparently not very well liked by Doug weight, Cooke is a turd, and clutterbum is a friend of JT

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009

nino couldn't prove he was better than colin mcdonald last season. your point about his value is moot since he did not return a prospect with any kind of upside. we're talking about a gm that loves to grab young players off of waivers, if you think he didn't try to get a solid prospect. no one is going to trade a young prospect for a headcase. clutterbuck fits in with the team and is one of JT's boys as well. i wouldn't be surprised to see him on the top line as JT and him had some chemistry in junior.

clutterbuck is making 2.75M for a team that will never reach the cap ceiling. nino is still on his entry deal. judging by his character i can see him holding out for money he doesn't deserve.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

We don't have any cap issues other than trying to be above it...

Players like Nino could be good, but they could also be a cancer for a locker room. Something a young team like the Islanders do not need. If he's demanding trades because he had one point in almost a full season and was the lowest or 2nd lowest in terms of +/- in the entire league, it's a good idea for the organization to move him.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Then he paid that plug more than UFA Matt Cooke, who is twice, maybe three times the player and plays the same game.

I've watched Matt Cooke play in our division for five years now. If you're really expected him to be three times the player Clutterbuck is you're going to be incredibly disappointed.

Stick to your own board if all you're going to do is come here and tell us how great the Wild are. Yeah, I wish we got more value for Nino. But for whatever reason he didn't fit here, and now he's gone. What he does doesn't concern us.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
You know guys, trolls starve to death if you don't feed them. If some Min fan comes by to gloat, why not just ignore?

This is not a thread about Nino or Bouchard and gloating about either player is an obvious attempt to start trouble.

Clutterbuck will be fine. I watched him a lot over the years. Reminds me of Trent Hunter with better wheels and a mean streak. I am not saying he will be a star, but a big asset on the third line for sure.

Anybody who was expecting him to be in game shape after missing camp, was probably expecting a tad too much. That is especially true for a player who is not a natural talent.

I am worried about lots of issues with the team, but Cluterbuck will be a given.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
It's a long season. Not 48 games.

Clutter was not the problem last night. I saw effort and rust.

Too many threads are started way prematurely. If he looks bad after 10 games, start the woe is me.

Until then, please chill out.

(it's worse when this happens on the main boards)

as for the happy Min fans about the trade...not wishing Nino bad, but wait until 20/30 games in and see what you have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad