Clutterbuck Very Disappointing in Debut, But Getting Better???

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
You said "so that Snow can show that he won't take ****." I didn't say that. What I meant is that Snow has demonstrated that he doesn't take malcontent/criticism of the organization lightly. Not that he made the trade to show anything. .

I agree with you too! I don't think Snow should take crap from his players - but selling low is never sensible.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I agree with you too! I don't think Snow should take crap from his players - but selling low is never sensible.

I'm not saying I agree with him, but I can understand the rationale. The asset could have continued to diminish into Filatov territory. Whatever. Either way, I'm fine as long as the team gets better. I hope Nino turns into Iginla. I just don't think it would have happened on Long Island.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I absolutely agree with you, Crew. It was almost Milburyesque that way Snow reduced a top five pick to an above average third liner (like the way Milbury essentially turned Redden into Dave Scatchard in an increasingly dumb set of moves)

lost in that is Scatchard was probably better than Redden, when all was said and done.

I like the sentiment that a top five pick was reduced to Clutterbuck. But Karl Alzner, Luke Schenn, Brayden Schenn, Strome and Morgan Rielly were the fifth pick before and after Nino.

He wasn't exactly tearing it up. Even Brett Connolly and Louis Leblanc have outscored Nino by a wide margin and are minor leaguers. Peter (should have picked him before Okposo) Mueller is in Europe. Filatov is shining shoes. If Brock Nelson scores a hat-trick on Tues, he'll be tied with Nino for career goals.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
lost in that is Scatchard was probably better than Redden, when all was said and done.

Redden in his prime was a elite top pairing dman. Scatch, as much as I loved him, never reached that level.
I like the sentiment that a top five pick was reduced to Clutterbuck. But Karl Alzner, Luke Schenn, Brayden Schenn, Strome and Morgan Rielly were the fifth pick before and after Nino.

He wasn't exactly tearing it up. Even Brett Connolly and Louis Leblanc have outscored Nino by a wide margin and are minor leaguers. Peter (should have picked him before Okposo) Mueller is in Europe. Filatov is shining shoes. If Brock Nelson scores a hat-trick on Tues, he'll be tied with Nino for career goals.

Actually, he'll be one ahead of Nino.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Nino was not that good....he got better when he was pushing for a job but when things didn't go his way again, he turtled and slumped and his attitude got worse. NOT THE KIND OF GUY YOU WANT LONG TERM.

Will he grow up? Maybe...worth waiting on if you wanna continue the rebuild for another six years.

But the team is shaping up and Snow deserved CREDIT. JT, Moulson scores thirty every year, Grabner is evolving further from breakaway artist to more complete player. Martin is a force. CMac a surprise depth gem. Hamonic getting proper notice. AMac unheralded calming presence on defense. Poulin and Nilsson coming closer. Strait a steal. Hickey a smallish but very caable cog. Bailey turning into a solid, SOLID 2nd liner {don't rule out return to center!}. Nielson is a valuable three zone piece. We needed a gamer, a physical scoring threat.....so.....

babysit the Swiss Miss or get a known solid core piece?

Glad Ms.Minus is on the Wild.

yea i have to agree with this 100%. as soon as i read the news about him requesting a trade, i knew he was bad news, and as good as gone. that kind of bs from a player that young should not be tolerated at all. to be completely honest, on the surface it seems like we got fleeced in the trade, but it just wasn't going to work out with him. i always felt nino was a reach at 5 overall, and i would have preferred someone else in that draft, but he can still end up being a good player, but in the long term it will prob end up being a wash.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
yea i have to agree with this 100%. as soon as i read the news about him requesting a trade, i knew he was bad news, and as good as gone. that kind of bs from a player that young should not be tolerated at all. to be completely honest, on the surface it seems like we got fleeced in the trade, but it just wasn't going to work out with him. i always felt nino was a reach at 5 overall, and i would have preferred someone else in that draft, but he can still end up being a good player, but in the long term it will prob end up being a wash.

Try selling a surf and turf....we got a great lobster....and the Filet was beautiful.....but the damned lobster had a tumor.....and the filet was Mad Cow.

So.....what do you charge for this $100 plate in a Manhattan eatery? $50 on LI?

You get whatever the hell you can and walk away. We got a nice asset for a screwup. He was never going to be worth the price on LI, but the Chinese kitchen is making Lo Main and Shrimp and Lobster sauce with the scraps. Maybe they'll get $40 from a couple eating out. Maybe more. We couldn't sell the friggen thing. We'd get sued for poisoning someone.

AS IN.....he was NEVER going to be worth the investment in time and roster space, and the primadonna would have been a risk in our tight lockerroom. We have better options without Clutterbuck being in the equation. Le works hard and might improve his skating. If not? Strome looks like he'll make Nino look like a scrub. Clutterbuck, in food parlance, is a beautiful hand rolled ravioli.

Nice to have a dish in return that will get people coming back for more rather than heading to the ER. Simply put, but it should say a ton. We got a hard hitting mofo who will not disappoint. This guy is NOT a Jason Weimer. He's gonna score more goals, hit hard and meaningfully and lead. That's his rep and he's been on Tavares' wing before.

We got a good return on a bad, UNSELLABLE surf and turf, in other words.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
He kinda had his hands tied. Try and imagine buying prime real estate in a swamp. You just have to get whatever you can for the thing before it sinks. Monty Python fans, enjoy the reference.:D

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Try selling a surf and turf....we got a great lobster....and the Filet was beautiful.....but the damned lobster had a tumor.....and the filet was Mad Cow.

So.....what do you charge for this $100 plate in a Manhattan eatery? $50 on LI?

You get whatever the hell you can and walk away. We got a nice asset for a screwup. He was never going to be worth the price on LI, but the Chinese kitchen is making Lo Main and Shrimp and Lobster sauce with the scraps. Maybe they'll get $40 from a couple eating out. Maybe more. We couldn't sell the friggen thing. We'd get sued for poisoning someone.

AS IN.....he was NEVER going to be worth the investment in time and roster space, and the primadonna would have been a risk in our tight lockerroom. We have better options without Clutterbuck being in the equation. Le works hard and might improve his skating. If not? Strome looks like he'll make Nino look like a scrub. Clutterbuck, in food parlance, is a beautiful hand rolled ravioli.

Nice to have a dish in return that will get people coming back for more rather than heading to the ER. Simply put, but it should say a ton. We got a hard hitting mofo who will not disappoint. This guy is NOT a Jason Weimer. He's gonna score more goals, hit hard and meaningfully and lead. That's his rep and he's been on Tavares' wing before.

We got a good return on a bad, UNSELLABLE surf and turf, in other words.

This is what I always wondered, you calling him a screwup and people questioning his character but what seems to be forgotten was that this was a 20 year old kid taking advice from his agent. The guy that he is supposed to trust and take advice from. To me this is all on the agent and the way Snow mishandled him more than Nino. To me there is three major things that screwed him up and they were:

1)Playing up here that year with Reasoner and Pandolfo. There isn't one player not named Crosby or Malkin that could do anything with these guys in any zone and people here trash Nino for how he played with them.

2)Not bringing him up to camp last year. He deserved it hands down. Much much more than Colin Mcdonald(and I like CM too). Nino would have brought a lot more to the team than him even playing with Cizikas/Martin(or maybe he ends up playing a bigger role).

3)No matter how it is Capuano not talking to him is Capuano's issue. Pro hockey is a business and you don't shun prospects like him. As a coach you need to keep working to reach him if it means you gain a hell of a player at your level.

Bad Handlings by the Isles on this one all around.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

I agree with everything said about Nino in this thread. The only thing you and I differ in is that I didn't think Nino was as good as gone. I thought Garth would make him stick and out and play into next year's training camp. I did not expect him to flounder and pout after his trade request. That was the writing on the wall right there. He was having a solid year up until that point.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I thought he looked ok, much better than last week, but still not 100%. Seems to be slowly getting his legs back. Same can be said for Okposo whom I think is improving every game.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Didn't watch the Sabres game but I saw he drew 2 interference minors.

Were they on the forecheck and how did he play otherwise?

Clutterbuck played well. High energy, finished every check, forced turnovers and he was on with Martin a couple of times, one shift they sandwiched Tallinder behind the net with a solid hit. Tallinder retaliated later in the shift and took a penalty.

He played inspired, like Colin McDonald. That's the way the team needs to play.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Clutterbuck played well. High energy, finished every check, forced turnovers and he was on with Martin a couple of times, one shift they sandwiched Tallinder behind the net with a solid hit. Tallinder retaliated later in the shift and took a penalty.

He played inspired, like Colin McDonald. That's the way the team needs to play.

He's been getting better every game since he came back. I like his game.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
I thought he was very solid last night. Hasn't shown much with the puck, but he hit and got under the Sabres' skin last night.

His skillset is really more away from the puck...active stick, forechecking, finishing checks, agitating/yapping, killing penalties. He's a perfect 3rd-liner/PK1or2.

Volek25

Apr 23, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Really liked what a saw from Clutterbuck yesterday. He missed some time so gotta give him a chance to get his game going. Yesterday was a good start, really got involved on the forecheck, made some big hits that got the crowd going and seemed to get under the skin of the slug players.

You could also tell that he was enjoying it and looks like thats what he needs to do to be effective and a player for us. I think the office will come soon for him, but he needs to really get his legs and physical play going first.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
His skillset is really more away from the puck...active stick, forechecking, finishing checks, agitating/yapping, killing penalties. He's a perfect 3rd-liner/PK1or2.

i thought martin czikas and clutter looked good last night when given the opportunity. I think I woukd put them together.

they lost last night but I thought they found some jump.

edit: looks like from todays practice Cappy wont be and is going to try mcdonald with martin and czikas. regin with clutter and moulson. my guess is nelson is out again...might be a demotion coming

Last edited:

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
At the game last night, first one this year, and have to disagree with the reviews on Clutterbuck.

Fist off this team doesn't need this type player, they have one his name is Matt Martin and he has more talent than Clutterbuck.

Yes, Clutterbuck was throwing himself all over the place but did so very recklessly. Three times I saw was more concerned with hitting then being responsible for his man. Once, mid 2nd period, it lead directly to a Sabre scoring chance.

Has the Isles not had Martin, then the need for a Clutterbuck type guy was warranted. In this case all he's doing is using air that others could benefit from.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
I agree, plus he makes millions a year, and is very little. I didn't know he was so short. We looked like shrimps in person.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
What was it you loved? Help me understand?

What I saw was a guy pinballing himself all over the ice with no regard for his on ice responsibilities. He was just hitting everything that moved. While that is great for the fans, it's not in terms of keeping an eye on your man in your zone.

Martin on the other hand hits where warranted and very rarely leaves his man just for the sake of hitting someone.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

What I saw was a guy pinballing himself all over the ice with no regard for his on ice responsibilities. He was just hitting everything that moved. While that is great for the fans, it's not in terms of keeping an eye on your man in your zone.

Martin on the other hand hits where warranted and very rarely leaves his man just for the sake of hitting someone.

He had a pulse so that's a start. If he plays like he did last night we are at least getting what I thought we were getting. He was a hitter and an agitator who drew a penalty. I'm not expecting Todd Bertuzzi in his prime.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Poor evaluation of his game last night.

I didn't think he 'left his man' just to make a hit. He also knew he was getting under their skin, so hitting them and keeping on them resulted in a PP for our team. He wasn't running around hitting early in the game, it wasn't until things started to escalate and Buffalo started acting stupid that he began throwing his body around. The team also played better after Clutterbuck, Martin, and CC started hitting things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad