Clutterbuck Very Disappointing in Debut, But Getting Better???

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I'll take 4 points, snarl, winning attitude and a true competitive spirit over A meaner Papineau, thanks. A cancer in the lockerroom with 45-55 points is not appealing. Glad he's gone.

That said, I'd LOVE a John LeClair on the team. I hope Nelson is he.

LMAo 4 pts and snarl.. Enjoy Spring baseball cause no way the Isles are gonna make an impact with a 4pt snarl guy.

Still no proof he was a "cancer" (a word we throw around freely on these threads BTW) yet Nabakov wanted nothing to do with the team and Viz wanted to stay in Europe for less money. Nino just wanted to play in the pros. Cant fault a kid for wanting to play in the big leagues.

In the mean time we are still searching for a winger for JT and have done enough experiments on RW to last a life time and still no results. I wonder how Nino would of measured up but we will never know. So lets enjoy our 4 pts snarl

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
LMAo 4 pts and snarl.. Enjoy Spring baseball cause no way the Isles are gonna make an impact with a 4pt snarl guy.

Still no proof he was a "cancer" (a word we throw around freely on these threads BTW) yet Nabakov wanted nothing to do with the team and Viz wanted to stay in Europe for less money. Nino just wanted to play in the pros. Cant fault a kid for wanting to play in the big leagues.

In the mean time we are still searching for a winger for JT and have done enough experiments on RW to last a life time and still no results. I wonder how Nino would of measured up but we will never know. So lets enjoy our 4 pts snarl

40....my keyboard is broken.:D

Nino is a little *rick and I am so thrilled he's gone, it's euphoric. Poor kid.....he had one point and skated like a leper. But he had a Papineauphoric preseason!!!!:yo:

Clutterbuck plays HOCKEY....hits, scores, plays D, skates, attacks....I've watched his game and we HAVE HIM! Nino....well, he plays when he wants to. Tell him he doesn't get his chocolate cake and he sulks and disappears, as we all witnessed last year at the prisonBridge.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
First time poster, long time Islander fan from Long Island; I was very upset when they traded Nino, I actually liked the kid. But it’s time to move on, although this is the venue not to move on and replay this scenario ad nauseam. What disturbs me however is that Kabanov and Pedan look like they could be a replay of the Nino narrative. Am I upset by the Nino Trade, yes, but as my son who posts here occasionally said to me: “This wasn’t the worse trade the Isles have made, and there probably will be worse in the future”. Time to wish Nino well, and move on.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Nino is a little *rick and I am so thrilled he's gone, it's euphoric. Poor kid.....he had one point and skated like a leper. But he had a Papineauphoric preseason!!!!

so much frustration in one post, I think that makes it pretty clear, thanks.

potvins4cups

Aug 23, 2007
Calling people trash sounds pretty much like that overgrown baby you mentioned.

I don't know about the Value of Clutterbuck etc. and I'm not here to say how awesome he plays in Minnesota, but watch your words in regards to Nino.
He NEVER had any issues with his mentality before, he even was a Fan favourite in Chur, Davos, Portland and they seem to love him in Minni too.
Think about that and maybe you realize that the problem was the Isles Management, not the player. He didn't force a trade because he hated the Isles, but because they didn't even invite him to camp after a good AHL season!

:handclap:

Bravo. The kid had no issues with His attitude when he was drafted. If he did, snow would not have drafted him because supposedly snow is all about players attitudes. Although you can say they really blew it with their assessment of mr rapist Corey Trivino but that's for another thread.

Truth of the matter is and islander fans continue to deny it because they prefer to stick up for snow rather than call him out. He did a terrible job with asset management on this trade.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
40....my keyboard is broken.:D

Nino is a little *rick and I am so thrilled he's gone, it's euphoric. Poor kid.....he had one point and skated like a leper. But he had a Papineauphoric preseason!!!!:yo:

Clutterbuck plays HOCKEY....hits, scores, plays D, skates, attacks....I've watched his game and we HAVE HIM! Nino....well, he plays when he wants to. Tell him he doesn't get his chocolate cake and he sulks and disappears, as we all witnessed last year at the prisonBridge.

Ill Cal scores 40pts this season you are more them welcomed to bring back this thread and I will gladly eat crow.

If Nino is a bust and is the next Scott Sissions (hoping he is, all this considered) I will also say this trade was a wash.

Bit if Nino becomes Bertuzzi part 2, you and the rest "analysts" on this board will need to man up and say Garth Snow is a terrible GM and this trade ranks up there with some Mike Milbury moves.

MJP

Jul 27, 2009
ny
What did you expect? Clutterbuck is awful. Has always been. As is PMB so don't be shocked when he does nothing this year too. Guys are certified bums

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Ill Cal scores 40pts this season you are more them welcomed to bring back this thread and I will gladly eat crow.

If Nino is a bust and is the next Scott Sissions (hoping he is, all this considered) I will also say this trade was a wash.

Bit if Nino becomes Bertuzzi part 2, you and the rest "analysts" on this board will need to man up and say Garth Snow is a terrible GM and this trade ranks up there with some Mike Milbury moves.

one trade backfiring badly doesn't make someone a bad GM. it's not just the bertuzzi/mccabe trade that made milbury a bad GM. it's that he made the same mistake — growing impatient with young players rapidly; gambling just for the sake of gambling — again and again.

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
Calling people trash sounds pretty much like that overgrown baby you mentioned.

I don't know about the Value of Clutterbuck etc. and I'm not here to say how awesome he plays in Minnesota, but watch your words in regards to Nino.
He NEVER had any issues with his mentality before, he even was a Fan favourite in Chur, Davos, Portland and they seem to love him in Minni too.
Think about that and maybe you realize that the problem was the Isles Management, not the player. He didn't force a trade because he hated the Isles, but because they didn't even invite him to camp after a good AHL season!

sorry i don't like players who destroy the livelihoods of other players and players who can't handle not being in the nhl at age 20. sounds like he got his way in chur, davos, portland and minnesota. and as mentioned before he wasn't the only upcoming youngster who didn't get a call up, but he was the only one who cried about it.

No, that only shows that he's ready to fight, and would do everything to play in the NHL.

really? i would think not having a horrid second half would show that he would do everything to play in the nhl

Oh c'mon, everyone has his hot and cold phases. It's not like he demanded an NHL spot free handed, he only wanted the Chance to fight for it in camp. Not inviting him there and seeing dozens of scrubs up there must be pretty disappointing.
There is no worse way to demote a youngster than by saying "you got no chance this season, don't even try it".

again, you're showing that you don't even know went on last season. the only players who were called up were colin mcdonald, jon landry, ty wishart, strome, and reinhart. 2 of those were junior players who had little chance of making the team and were just here to get some nhl experience, the rest are ahl-lifers who would've been playing bottom line/pairing roles which nino had already shown to be incapable of doing. none made the team except mcdonald who was projected to be a 4th line player but played himself to the 3rd line. pretty weird though that nino's "cold phase" coincided with the islanders not calling him up, though.

wow a guy who wants to play and he is labeled a cry baby??? He demanded a trade cause he wanted to play in the big leagues and was confident he could turn it around. Yet he has issues???

Viz and Nabby held out and shamed our organization but they now have multi-year deals and dont seem to be a distraction to anyone.

I know this trade is over and we need to move on but I dont care for Steve Webb on steroids. I want a John Leclair type prospect who needed to be groomed better. Something this organization failed to do.

So regardless if Nino is a 45-55 pt player for the rest of his career, he will always have more points then Cal would in all of his years combined.

I dont care if its game 55 of the season - Penalty in minutes and leading the league in checking means jack squat to me.

if he was confident he could turn it around why didn't he turn it around in the ahl when he didn't get called up? the difference between nino and viz + nabby is that 2 are proven nhl vets and the other is an entitled baby who hasn't proven a damn thing. nino may one day score 25 goals but that doesn't mean we should've kept the headcase.

so much frustration in one post, I think that makes it pretty clear, thanks.

you seem to be pretty frustrated that some people actually DO NOT like a swiss player

Bravo. The kid had no issues with His attitude when he was drafted. If he did, snow would not have drafted him because supposedly snow is all about players attitudes. Although you can say they really blew it with their assessment of mr rapist Corey Trivino but that's for another thread.

Truth of the matter is and islander fans continue to deny it because they prefer to stick up for snow rather than call him out. He did a terrible job with asset management on this trade.

i blame snow for keeping here for his now rookie season and for drafting him in the first place. but not for jettisoning him when he started acting like a huge baby.

1 bad trade would not make a bad gm. but i'm sure that won't stop you from calling him one

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Totally get you on value. I'm just certain that a prospect with any kind of
upside would have been a better pickup. Let's not forget NYI weren't parting with a member of the big club, even if Nino was easily one of the best 12 forwards in the organization.

Nino probably wasn't worth much on the trading block, but Clutterbuck has been overrated for years. Guys like him are a dime a dozen and he was set to get a raise. Talk about value? Nino and his sub $1 million salary versus Clutterbuck and his $3M+ with a low cap. How's that look?

It's fair you've given Clutterbuck and PMB time to show what they are made of but you need to the same with Nino. I don't know why you think you've got an ace in the hole there. I've been watching him play and I don't think you should be counting your chickens yet. He's got major holes to his game and his character is up for question. Don't get too excited yet....

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

It's possible that the market value for Nino was Clutterbuck. Why is this poor asset management? Where are the reports that other GMs offered anything more? What did Filatov get traded for?

How Nino became "the one that got away" is a bit mysterious.

He has 2 pro goals. He's likely the next Kyle Beach. Has he ever looked like he was going to be a great NHL player?

We like to think Nino was worth something, but he was not. What was Grabner worth when Florida let him walk away?

Snow's made a lot of mistakes but trading Nino for Clutterbuck was not one of them.

Keeping Moulson is another story, but, like Trivino, for another thread.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
It's possible that the market value for Nino was Clutterbuck. Why is this poor asset management? Where are the reports that other GMs offered anything more? What did Filatov get traded for?

He has 2 pro goals. He's likely the next Kyle Beach. Has he ever looked like he was going to be a great NHL player?

We like to think Nino was worth something, but he was not. What was Grabner worth when Florida let him walk away?

Snow's made a lot of mistakes but trading Nino for Clutterbuck was not one of them.

He actually has three now. Came to check on how clutterbuck and Bouchard were doing. Also Matt Cooke leads wild with points off topic.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
He actually has three now. Came to check on how clutterbuck and Bouchard were doing. Also Matt Cooke leads wild with points off topic.

Nino's goal was so lucky, I thought it was Parise's goal. If he can't get it done with Koivu and Parise he may as well just go play in Europe. Even redbull could play on that line and score 20 goals. :)

I've seen 3-4 minny games this year, Cooke has been excellent. And he was really good for the Pens last year down the stretch and in the playoffs. Playing some solid hockey.

I can't believe how horrible Heatley has become. That line of Nino-Coyle-Heatley was headed for a collective -50 if they were left together.

Bouchard has been terrible.

Clutterbuck is "as expected" but coming off injury hasn't played much. I expect Isles fans will love Clutterbuck and hate Bouchard after 2- games, or sooner.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

It is poor asset management because Snow managed to turn his own recent 5th overall into CC+ a 3rd.

Are you saying that if on the morning of the 2010 draft, Snow had dealt that 5th overall pick for CC+ a 3rd, you would have called that a good trade?

I look at CC and see a high end 3rd liner, a grinder. I sure as hell don't see someone worth giving up a 5th overall pick for.

Snow passed up Skinner, Gormley Tarensenko and Knutsenov(sp).

Now after screwing up Nino's development and trading him away for a low return, we get leak rumors thru Staple that " Snow was not sold on Nino" or " Nino may have been drafted too high".

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Nino's goal was so lucky, I thought it was Parise's goal. If he can't get it done with Koivu and Parise he may as well just go play in Europe. Even redbull could play on that line and score 20 goals. :)

I've seen 3-4 minny games this year, Cooke has been excellent. And he was really good for the Pens last year down the stretch and in the playoffs. Playing some solid hockey.

I can't believe how horrible Heatley has become. That line of Nino-Coyle-Heatley was headed for a collective -50 if they were left together.

Bouchard has been terrible.

Clutterbuck is "as expected" but coming off injury hasn't played much. I expect Isles fans will love Clutterbuck and hate Bouchard after 2- games, or sooner.

Pretty good summary with the caveat that 20-30% of NHL goal are "lucky". Throwing the puck at the net, looking for a rebound is never a bad thing. Sometimes it goes in. One aspect of Nino's game so far that doesn't show up in stats lines is his battle level. He's been really working hard. Hearing islanders fans and I hope this compete level remains high for a season. It's possible that the Wild are a beneficiary of a Garth Snow-sized chip on Nino's shoulder.

Clutterbuck is as advertised. He loves to throw the body around and finish checks. He's a great agitator and will draw penalties, but he has a rep with refs and will be called for quite a few as well. He has great anticipation and is a good skater so he's in on a few breakaways. His shot is a bit of an enigma -- quick release catches goalies napping, but he's got this annoying habit of missing far side and causing a breakaway back the other way. Maybe smaller goalie equipment leads to him getting the confidence to bring his shot down and in. With his quick release, you'd think the five hole would be open now. And he kills penalties which is something niño isn't trusted to do yet.

Lets all hold off on evaluating this trade for a bit. Cal had a long layoff and it takes time to get game legs back. Plus he's on a new team. Same for Niño. He looks more than legit, but he's a young kid and sometimes kids are streaky.

Peace be with you.:hockey:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Circumstances change over 3 years.

Snow drafted Nino.

Snow choose to keep the struggling 19 yr old up in the nhl, when it was clear he was in over his head.

Nino and his agent had no leverage to force a trade and had publicly backed off their trade demand.

Nino had just finished up a strong WJC and told interviewers , he was focusing on coming to camp and winning a nhl job.

The players have to attend 3 nhl prospect camps. The 2013 camp would have been Nino's 4th camp. It was an optional camp for Nino and he announced he would not attend. Several weeks later, Snow dealt him in a buy high, sell low trade.

Snow had reportedly shopped Nino to LA for Bernier and Vancouver for Schnieder, with both teams saying no thanks. Both Nino and Snow share responsibility for Nino's low trade value.

Snow alone has the goat horns, for pissing away a recent 5th overall pick.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
There's plenty of blame to go around. The bottom line is that the circumstances had changed. His value was no longer that of a top prospect.

I agree with that.

We are just going around in circles here, with some fans unwilling to admit Snow bought high and sold low on a recent 5 th overall pick.

Below are comments from Nail, the 2012 1st overall pick. Edmonton's coaches are growing frustrated with his open resistence to developing a more complete game.

He says he is not changing his game. He does not like forechecking, physical play. When will the Oilers be dealing him in a buy high, sell low trade ? Cause 19/20 yr olds are always mature and can't go on to put past struggles behind them right?

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/10/14/4829842/edmonton-oilers-nail-yakupov-problems-healthy-scratch

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Cause 19/20 yr olds are always mature and can't go on to put past struggles behind them right?

Sometimes it's just a bad fit. Things don't always work like you think they should on paper. The draft is littered with players that don't work out for whatever reason. The team and Nino made mistakes. Sometimes it's just best to move on.

Snow has shown that he doesn't take **** lying down. Once the malcontent garbage started showing it's head from the Nino camp, I knew his days were numbered on the Island. No team has a flawless record with draft picks and the Isles definitely mishandled Nino. But, they have a guy they like and who wants to be part of the team. Perspective. It's not the end of the world.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
one trade backfiring badly doesn't make someone a bad GM. it's not just the bertuzzi/mccabe trade that made milbury a bad GM. it's that he made the same mistake — growing impatient with young players rapidly; gambling just for the sake of gambling — again and again.

No it doesent but failing to provide proper talent for an elite all star and relying solely on rookies and waiver wire picks is!!

I guarantee Nino will flourish because he will be teamed with great players to allow him time to develop properly. Not placed in the 4th line with AHL jobbers

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
Disappointing to hear about Yakupov, I liked him a lot. As for Clutterbuck, dont be surprised if you see him next to JT at some point. Clutterbuck needs to play with some talent to be effective in my opinion. Lets see what happens

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009

It's a very typical NHL goal, giving the puck a chance to go in. Even if it was Parise's goal, who cares?

I see, this discussion will probably never end, so let's just agree to disagree. I just wanted to make clear that he is no locker room cancer and never said a bad word about the Isles. I know that this whole situation didn't end well for you, simply because you changed a 5th overall pick into a grinder/third liner. But throw this frustration towards the management, not the player.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

So let me get this straight...

We're all idiots, because we believe the rumors that Nino was a problem.

And you're a genious for believing the rumors that Nabokov and Visnovsky didn't want to come here?

I'd tell you exactly where to go, but it would result in an infraction. If you know where I'm talking about, you can go straight there though... you'd make great time on that high horse of yours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad