CL Round of 8

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Well he deserved what he got. I have all the respect in the world for Gigi, he’s one of the best goalies to grace the sport, but you can’t jump into the refs face and push him multiple times. Easy red.

Buffon has only the CL left to win. It’s his last season and last chance. If I were him I would also be very mad.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Buffon has only the CL left to win. It’s his last season and last chance. If I were him I would also be very mad.

Oh I'm not saying I don't get why he reacted the way he did. I'm sure any of us would've reacted the exact same way, I'm just saying it was a deserved red card.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
This BS rhetoric needs to stop. Higuain has been worth every penny for Juve since he joined and has been good in both Serie A and CL. I’d define Dybala as a bigger choke artist than Higuain tbh.

Doesn't even average 0.5 GPG in the UCL for Juve. Might be good for €9M but not €90M. Higuain disappears when the lights shine brightest. He was terrible in the UCL for Madrid, isn't much better for Juve and chokes in the biggest games for Argentina.

Reactions: le_sean

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This BS rhetoric needs to stop. Higuain has been worth every penny for Juve since he joined and has been good in both Serie A and CL. I’d define Dybala as a bigger choke artist than Higuain tbh.

People seem to freak out every time a big purchase is made and the player doesn't turn out to be good enough to win the Ballon d'Or. I suppose I understand the logic to some extent, but not everyone's going to be a top five player in the world all the time. If Messi and Ronaldo do the lump sum of jack shit in the two games they just played it can happen to anyone.

Juve had to do the impossible today, nearly did it, and Higuain did really well in his role. Sometimes I wonder if people even understand his role, which is pretty similar to Diego Costa or Firmino. A poacher he is not.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Of course it's the point. You'd be screaming for that to be a penalty because it's a ****in penalty. You'd have to be a complete hypocrite to say that you'd want that to be a penalty for your team, but it's debatable for another team.

Theres wanting a penalty and then there's legit penalties. I'd be screaming for just as Chelsea fans were in 09 but it doesn't make legitimate. Hope that helps.

Hes definietly worth it because Juve bought out the competition. As for the rest of the post well... lets see who was the player to choke in 3 straight finals?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
People seem to freak out every time a big purchase is made and the player doesn't turn out to be good enough to win the Ballon d'Or. I suppose I understand the logic to some extent, but not everyone's going to be a top five player in the world all the time. If Messi and Ronaldo do the lump sum of jack **** in the two games they just played it can happen to anyone.

Juve had to do the impossible today, nearly did it, and Higuain did really well in his role. Sometimes I wonder if people even understand his role, which is pretty similar to Diego Costa or Firmino. A poacher he is not.

Higuain rightly had that label prior to his big money move. His main purpose is to score goals unless being a 9 is different in 2018. If so, nobody told me.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Hes definietly worth it because Juve bought out the competition. As for the rest of the post well... lets see who was the player to choke in 3 straight finals?

Argentina also has him play a role that doesn't suit him that well. I think a #9 who is best dropping that deep is incompatible with the rest of their players and I think it is incompatible with his skills to have him play as a regular #9.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Higuain rightly had that label prior to his big money move. His main purpose is to score goals unless being a 9 is different in 2018. If so, nobody told me.

It depends now. Would anyone say that's Firmino's job? Not really. All I see whenever I watch Higuain is his role being such to bring other players like Costa, Khedira, Dybala, and Mandzukic into the game. That does present a different problem because he rarely wins anything in the air, unlike the aforementioned Firmino.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina also has him play a role that doesn't suit him that well. I think a #9 who is best dropping that deep is incompatible with the rest of their players and I think it is incompatible with his skills to have him play as a regular #9.

Maybe, not what suits him but what does that have to do with him missing sitters?

Let's not mistake in thinking Higuain is amazing at build up play. Guy, is good at holding up the play but his passing what ever, so is his vision and he can barely run with the ball. He's definitely not a false 9.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Maybe, not what suits him but what does that have to do with him missing sitters?

Let's not mistake in thinking Higuain is amazing at build up play. Guy, is good at holding up the play but his passing what ever, so is his vision and he can barely run with the ball. He's definitely not a false 9.

False 9 isn't what I would say. A defensive forward, yeah. Fat boy is pretty good at all the things that role requires.

I don't think the one he missed today was a sitter either, that was a pretty tough chance considering how close Navas already was to the ball.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It depends now. Would anyone say that's Firmino's job? Not really. All I see whenever I watch Higuain is his role being such to bring other players like Costa, Khedira, Dybala, and Mandzukic into the game. That does present a different problem because he rarely wins anything in the air, unlike the aforementioned Firmino.

Not sure I understand your post. Higuan broke the Serie record in goals with Napoli... his job is to score goals. He gets fed countless times a game and in the box he's the main target. Is he a good player f*** yeah. Is he good under pressure f*** no.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I thought there was some rule that suspended players/coaches can't be on the bench but Ramos was on the bench (granted not suited up or anything)

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
False 9 isn't what I would say. A defensive forward, yeah. Fat boy is pretty good at all the things that role requires.

I don't think the one he missed today was a sitter either, that was a pretty tough chance considering how close Navas already was to the ball.

I didn't see the first half so, can't comment on the sitter for today. From the comments that could be sensationalized it looks like it was a bad miss. However, his track record speaks for itself... numerous sitters all missed. At some point you just accept it. Today isn't going to make or break his career.

Defensive forwards? Is that what we are calling strikers who aren't that good now lol? I'm sure Juve looked at that goal scoring record and said man he'd be a beast defensively.

Honestly, not even sure what this debate is about. Is it Higuain isn't a choker? Or is it that he's worth the money. The answer isn't the same TBH.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Ronaldo knew he was going to score, there was zero doubt in his mind, they could have spent another 10 minutes arguing. To go top corner in that situation with all that adrenaline, a less confident scorer would never have tried that. So easy to hit the bar or miss entirely.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Ronaldo knew he was going to score, there was zero doubt in his mind, they could have spent another 10 minutes arguing. To go top corner in that situation with all that adrenaline, a less confident scorer would never have tried that. So easy to hit the bar or miss entirely.

Yea that was a spectacular penalty under big pressure. You can’t blame the sub goalie at all. No one is stopping that shot.

Honestly a good play by him to knock that ball down before the penalty too. I was expecting him to try to loop a header back post, but he saw that run well and laid it perfectly for the finish.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

You're the only Argentina fan who isn't permanently mad at him for spoiling Messi's World Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad