CL Round of 8

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
You're the only Argentina fan who isn't permanently mad at him for spoiling Messi's World Cup

I think he gets undeserved crap compared to other strikers like Aguero who never did anything meaningful for Argentina. Higuain still remains a great goalscorer. As many others he will score and miss easy sitters. With Juve he gets something like 5 scoring chances a game, he’ll score 1. With Argentina he gets 1 or 2 scoring chances. And obviously when he misses it’s unforgivable.

Maybe it’s true he flops in big games, but he’s a guy that will help you get to the big game. For me I hope he gets over it whether it’s mental or psychological and wish He scores. And as I said in another thread, going to the WC between him, Aguero or Icardi, I’d go with him 100%.

It happens that I’m both Juve and Argentina fan, and generally speaking Juve fans are generally happy with him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
There are plenty of Argentina fans that can't stand Messi himself.

This is true and they are lost causes similar to Pouchkine.

I think he gets undeserved crap compared to other strikers like Aguero who never did anything meaningful for Argentina. Higuain still remains a great goalscorer. As many others he will score and miss easy sitters. With Juve he gets something like 5 scoring chances a game, he’ll score 1. With Argentina he gets 1 or 2 scoring chances. And obviously when he misses it’s unforgivable.

Maybe it’s true he flops in big games, but he’s a guy that will help you get to the big game. For me I hope he gets over it whether it’s mental or psychological and wish He scores. And as I said in another thread, going to the WC between him, Aguero or Icardi, I’d go with him 100%.

It happens that I’m both Juve and Argentina fan, and generally speaking Juve fans are generally happy with him.

Kun is never healthy at the end of a gruelling season but given the choice a healthy Kun is a much better player.

Icardi should definitely get a shot over Higuain. Regardless of being a bitchass, he has the right mentality on the pitch. Deserve a shot based on his play.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'd call that a penalty on Vazquez. Looks like he embellished, but I'd still make the call. Too many pushes like that go unpunished. Of course had the roles been reversed the chances of it getting called are certainly less likely.

I mean, I didn't see people complaining that the offside against RM was the wrong call.

LOL. Like I said, wrong club.

Must have hurt seeing Juve play that good without your boy.

You post some really stupid shit and then you go and post something like this and outdo yourself. Amazing really.

There are plenty of Argentina fans that can't stand Messi himself.

Yeah, and there are plenty more people than that who voted for Trump.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Icardi should definitely get a shot over Higuain. Regardless of being a *****ass, he has the right mentality on the pitch. Deserve a shot based on his play.

He also fits better with the other players and shouldn't get in their way.

I didn't see the first half so, can't comment on the sitter for today. From the comments that could be sensationalized it looks like it was a bad miss. However, his track record speaks for itself... numerous sitters all missed. At some point you just accept it. Today isn't going to make or break his career.

Defensive forwards? Is that what we are calling strikers who aren't that good now lol? I'm sure Juve looked at that goal scoring record and said man he'd be a beast defensively.

Honestly, not even sure what this debate is about. Is it Higuain isn't a choker? Or is it that he's worth the money. The answer isn't the same TBH.

I'm not sure about the debate really. I actually think he wasn't worth the money and is a choker. But for Juve he definitely plays as a defensive forward and is very, very deep. I think it's crazy to spend 90m on basically any striker that isn't as good as Lewandowski to begin with, but I think people are too harsh on his play for Juve considering what his role is. Every time I watch them and not only in the CL, he almost never plays on the back shoulder of defenders. There are only a few players who actually play this role well and I think he's one of them.

I also don't think he did anything to choke here, never had a real chance. He was playing so deep that on the first half goals he was nowhere near the ball and the chance was barely a chance at all. Navas was all over him. He also pretty much buried Monaco last year and Spurs this year. You'd think we were watching Andy Carroll or Zaza the way some people complain about him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm 100% with Bluesfan here.
Nobody thinks UEFA instructs refs to favor Real or Barca.
But they do because of multiple reasons :
1- the big team at home thing.
2- the pressure from the environment
3- the small details like UEFA ref ratings which will be positive for such a decisions, but I'm sure would be much less so if he had whistled for Juve in such a context.
4- the well known baskets.

There's a reason why Tapie lost a CL final and said afterwards "now I know how to win a CL". Next time they got to a final he sure did win it.
There's a reason some teams say they don't get "respected" by the refs.
Everyone in football knows the small details weigh heavily on the refs' shoulders.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Well, quite a game lol.

That was the worst Real I've seen in months and the best Juve I've seen all season.
Also, I'm glad Mandzukic is looking like he did last season, a defensive rock and a menace to full backs when he moves into the middle - in a season in which he's been struggling to gain form due to multiple small, but nagging injuries.

To be fair, Real was the better side in the second half, they calmed down and Juve was gradually losing intensity.
This is where I think Allegri waited too long with the changes, there were some dead tired Juve players out there after the 70th minute.
At that point, to me it was just a question whether Real will get one before extra time, and not if Juve can get another one.

Think this game also shows just how underrated Benzema is and how badly Real were missing him (not to mention Ramos, defense went down two tiers without him), and sadly, how Bale really doesn't fit in with that system anymore.
It's not only the injuries and the loss of form, Bale's just built better for a Mou-Real instead of the Zidane-Real.
I'd be shocked if he didn't move in the summer.

I thought Juve's midfield absolutely bossed the first half, I haven't seen Modric and Kroos outplayed like that since... Well, ever, really. Pjanic and Khadira were fantastic.
On the other hand, Modric's been Real most consistent player this season (he always is really), but he came back with a knock from the US where Croatia played their meaningless friendly, and has been struggling since. They have very little time to get him back to 100%, or it just isn't the same team. He did not look like himself last night.

Penalty at the end? Eh, I think you have to call that. It really was a 100% chance to score and he got impeded with a shove. Benatia had both his hands on Vasquez, and it's probably enough to impede the guy enough. And that's just the shove, he misses the ball and connects with Vasquez's chest as well.
It's not THE cleanest pen in the world, but the correct call. Very unfortunate for Juve after a great performance, but yes, ultimately, the right call.

I'm sorry Buffon's CL career might end like this, but he lost it at the end. Imagine if Ronaldo misses the pen and they had to play with 10 men in extra time...
Michael Oliver is overrated IMO, he's screwed over West Ham more than once, but that call was probably the correct one, and it took guts to call it - and I will give him one thing, he doesn't mess about with red cards when players get in his face and say the wrong thing to him, which is as it should be.
The Di Maria red card (when he was at ManUtd) was awesome and I like the stupefied looks on players faces when a ref actually has the balls to send them off after they get in their face, crowd them, mouth them off, etc.

Overall, Zidane needs to get the squad back to 100%, because yesterday they were lucky to survive that.
Yeah, they were missing Ramos and Benzema and Modric was playing with a knock, but they still got bossed around in the first half.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The Di Maria red card (when he was at ManUtd) was awesome and I like the stupefied looks on players faces when a ref actually has the balls to send them off after they get in their face, crowd them, mouth them off, etc.
/QUOTE]

It almost looks like Oliver is saying "Oh no, no, no" there in a "dude, why did you do that, now I have to give you another card" type way.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
what in the name of god happened last night

I don't really know. But whatever happened, makes it feel like the Roma-Barca game happened weeks ago, instead of tuesday.

Quite remarkable 2 days of CL games.
Especially if you add in the Man City - Liverpool game, which could've been even tighter had City had a bit more luck with ref decisions (Sane goal was clean as a whistle to be honest, should've been 2-0 by the end of first half - and I'm saying this as someone who was rooting for Liverpool).

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Italy-Australia 2006
Juventus-Monaco 2015-2017
Juventus vs. just about everyone in Serie A and many other times in Europe.
They are probably the club who received the most number of generous and gift calls in history and Buffon who was there all this time never said anything.

Yesterday they had Madrid beaten if they kept on playing, instead they went back in defence and got beat on a play which lead to a most clear cut penalty and Buffon acts like this= pathetic.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Italy-Australia 2006
They are probably the club who received the most number of generous and gift calls in history and Buffon who was there all this time never said anything.

Yesterday they had Madrid beaten if they kep on playing, instead they went back in defence and got beat on a play which lead to a most clear cut penalty and Buffon acts like this= pathetic.
Not to mention Calciopoli

Reactions: Pouchkine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I'm 100% with Bluesfan here.
Nobody thinks UEFA instructs refs to favor Real or Barca.
But they do because of multiple reasons :
1- the big team at home thing.
2- the pressure from the environment
3- the small details like UEFA ref ratings which will be positive for such a decisions, but I'm sure would be much less so if he had whistled for Juve in such a context.
4- the well known baskets.

There's a reason why Tapie lost a CL final and said afterwards "now I know how to win a CL". Next time they got to a final he sure did win it.
There's a reason some teams say they don't get "respected" by the refs.
Everyone in football knows the small details weigh heavily on the refs' shoulders.
Juventus are right there with Real Madrid and Barcelona. In fact historically they are much higher than Barcelona in that list. The past few years you complained, at times rightly, about gifts being given to Juventus vs. Monaco.

There is a lot of Italians involved in the refereeing leadership in UEFA-FIFA.

5- the big teams are usually better and thus attack more often which increases the chances of calls being made against the other team because they are in defence most of the time and without the ball.

When we see such a great refereeing performance as yesterday, we should applaud him and forget about all the crap.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Now there was a mistake yesterday and that's on the 4th referee, and that's Ramos being there, he should have been sent back to the stands right away, and he should most definitely be banned for the first leg of the 1/2's.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm not sure about the debate really. I actually think he wasn't worth the money and is a choker. But for Juve he definitely plays as a defensive forward and is very, very deep. I think it's crazy to spend 90m on basically any striker that isn't as good as Lewandowski to begin with, but I think people are too harsh on his play for Juve considering what his role is. Every time I watch them and not only in the CL, he almost never plays on the back shoulder of defenders. There are only a few players who actually play this role well and I think he's one of them.

I also don't think he did anything to choke here, never had a real chance. He was playing so deep that on the first half goals he was nowhere near the ball and the chance was barely a chance at all. Navas was all over him. He also pretty much buried Monaco last year and Spurs this year. You'd think we were watching Andy Carroll or Zaza the way some people complain about him.

He was worth it for Juve because it weakened their biggest rivals for the Serie A. That's what it came down to. Similar to Munich's business with Dortmund.

We're in a world where f***ing Morata was sold for 66 million. Could they have used that 90 million to buy a proper creative midfield and push Dybala further up the pitch where he belongs? Yeah, absolutely but there are plenty of other ways to piss away 90 million that would be worse than buying Higuain.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Saw a tweet from Balauge that said Ramos will get another match ban from watching the game in the tunnel which you cant do while suspended.

Between this and giving Carvajal his extra match ban, UEFadrid sure is coming down hard on their favorite.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Italy-Australia 2006

Yesterday they had Madrid beaten if they kept on playing, instead they went back in defence and got beat on a play which lead to a most clear cut penalty and Buffon acts like this= pathetic.

TF does an Italy result have to do with Juventus?

Hilarious a Madridista is going to call out another club for getting ref decisions when it's part of the culture in La Liga that Madrid get. Juventus have had calls for sure and are amongst the worst in Europe, but Madrid take that top prize all day long. 2016-17, 2006-07 and if I recall correctly 2011-12 are just recent examples. Did you ever say anything?

And to think you actually edited your post and what I quoted still remains. With posts like this you just know that somewhere in Spain there's a general buried six feet under the ground with a big smile on his face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad