CL Round of 8

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Imagine if Ronaldo misses the penalty, how do you Juve fans react to the selfish idiotic Buffon reaction?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
your posts are boring because you just say the same thing over and over without any semblance of critical thought
Critical tought? I was pulling for Juve but as a referee I also admire good refereeing first...and I know the rules and how to interpret them.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Penalty or not. The question is why did the ref allow the play for 11 more seconds after additional time were already done?

3 minutes of stoppage time
The foul occurred at 92:22
Kickoff after the goal was at 98:13
Final whistle at 98:49

In other words 2:59 of "live" stoppage time, and the extra couple second were irrelevant given that it ended on an RM goal kick and it's better to blow it dead there versus let the keeper launch the ball and have players foul each other in an already hot environment.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
No issue with the extra time, it's just hilarious that it had to happen on the last minute, I was actually waiting for Sergio Ramos to run into the pitch and scoring it himself, these f***ers always get away with it somehow

Reactions: KJS14

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So when the ref makes a good call ("for RM") it isn´t a good call any longer because RM are getting too many calls they shouldn´t in general?

I wanted Juventus to win almost as much as Buffon did, but that is just silly.

Reactions: Pouchkine

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So when the ref makes a good call ("for RM") it isn´t a good call any longer because RM are getting too many calls they shouldn´t in general?

I wanted Juventus to win almost as much as Buffon did, but that is just silly.
Whether it's a good call or not, it's certainly remarkably close. As Hatterson said, this same contact is ignored 99% of the time. Obviously, in my opinion, that means it should be ignored here. Reasonable minds can disagree to that, but that's fine. Edit: I meant that my opinion has been made obvious, not that the outcome is obvious.

What becomes a problem is that every single time Real Madrid is on the ropes over the last years, particularly in UEFA and particularly at home, a questionable call goes their way. Inevitably.
This is especially galling when players like Casemiro are consistently allowed to foul without any repercussions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evilo

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
This same contact is called 99% of the time you mean.

And you must have missed the numerous times this game the referee didn't fall for the Real player dives and sometimes even slight fouls...

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Everyone now apart from Real and Bayern fans want Bayern-Real and Liverpool-Roma in the semis.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I envision 99% of the people calling that a soft penalty, clamoring for a penalty in the same situation for their team. If that happens to Morata, Chelsea fans would be losing their shit that the ref didn’t call it. Same for Barca, Bayern, Liverpool. I just can’t imagine anyone seeing that play happen in the 92nd minute of a do or die game and go, “nah that’s a good no call”.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Just imagine if Varane did that to Higuain in the 92min. Everyone here but maybe a couple of Real fans would say 100% penalty.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Whether it's a good call or not, it's certainly remarkably close. As Hatterson said, this same contact is ignored 99% of the time. Obviously, in my opinion, that means it should be ignored here. Reasonable minds can disagree to that, but that's fine.

What becomes a problem is that every single time Real Madrid is on the ropes over the last years, particularly in UEFA and particularly at home, a questionable call goes their way. Inevitably.
This is especially galling when players like Casemiro are consistently allowed to foul without any repercussions.

I have no issue with someone disagreeing with the call. I think it is a penalty, but I can see why some might disagree. That is different than not liking it because RM are getting all these calls in general (even if they didn´t get Isco tonight of course).

I believe there is done research on this. Big teams (relative to the opponent) get calls especially at home. RM are big. I don´t personally believe it is specific to RM - just that they are the "big dog". I certainly don´t believe one team can consistently influence so many different refs, assistants etc. year after year by doing something that I guess the conspiracy theorist are implying.

I might be wrong of course. But other than claiming it I have never seen even a suggestion of substantiating the claim so.... repeating it over and over again on message boards doesn´t make any more true with time.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
It's just hilarious your appeal to a faux authority.

Sure, it was given as a penalty. That doesn't make it proper. Just like Sane's goal yesterday should have counted.
You don't see why that was called a penalty? You don't have to agree with it, but you don't see why?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The real questions are why Juventus stopped attacking at around the 75min. mark and why did Allegri didn't make any subs.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Imagine if Ronaldo misses the penalty, how do you Juve fans react to the selfish idiotic Buffon reaction?

The departure of a legend, unworthy or not it's almost above all criticism.

_41874388_redcard203.jpg

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Whether it was a penalty or not depends how hard was Vasquez pushed from behind, the leg did not do anything. Considering how easy these players fall down (it is an art really, specially when they're in the box) I am a bit skeptical about the decision.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
So sorry for Gigi.
I hope Oliver will soon follow Clattenburg's example and go to the Saudi Arabia and will leave the EPL.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I believe there is done research on this. Big teams (relative to the opponent) get calls especially at home. RM are big. I don´t personally believe it is specific to RM - just that they are the "big dog". I certainly don´t believe one team can consistently influence so many different refs, assistants etc. year after year by doing something that I guess the conspiracy theorist are implying.
I mean, yes, that's true, but that's the aggravating part. Big teams are consistently helped by the referees and none moreso, seemingly, than Real Madrid. That's why people are annoyed by it. I don't think people are seriously thinking that Real Madrid is paying referees beyond the lavish gift baskets that are apparently commonplace

Whether it was a penalty or not depends how hard was Vasquez pushed from behind, the leg did not do anything. Considering how easy these players fall down (it is an art really, specially when they're in the box) I am a bit skeptical about the decision.
This is essentially my view, too.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It's not important at all if it's really heard, a bit hard or not very hard. The fact is he pushed him from behind. Also he didn't get the ball with his kick so that's a 2nd reason for the penalty.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
It's not important at all if it's really heard, a bit hard or not very hard. The fact is he pushed him from behind. Also he didn't get the ball with his kick so that's a 2nd reason for the penalty.

Of course it is, don't be silly. Players touch during the game all the time. Maybe "push" is the wrong word because it suggest intentionality. Clearly the contact was not intentional and I am skeptical that it was hard enough to make Vasquez fall down. Most likely he went down at the sign of the slightest touch. That's what soccer player do, don't act as if this is some new development. Diving and feigning injury is in the repertoire of any good football player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad