CL Round of 8

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Sure it was intentional please the guy was completely beat on the play. I agree Vazquez made the most of it but on that particular play it don't matter at all. The foul is already there and very obvious. The defender came in very late pushed the guy in the back ( how hard don't matter) and kicked away while missing the ball and further impending the player.

Don't forget the play happens at full speed not in slow motion like on the replays. Live it's even more obvious. As a referee you have to call it.
Of course Real get most of the big calls just like every other big teams does all over the world at different level, that I agree, but this one wasn't in doubt.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So sorry for Gigi.
I hope Oliver will soon follow Clattenburg's example and go to the Saudi Arabia and will leave the EPL.

Well he deserved what he got. I have all the respect in the world for Gigi, he’s one of the best goalies to grace the sport, but you can’t jump into the refs face and push him multiple times. Easy red.

Reactions: Elliman

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I envision 99% of the people calling that a soft penalty, clamoring for a penalty in the same situation for their team. If that happens to Morata, Chelsea fans would be losing their **** that the ref didn’t call it. Same for Barca, Bayern, Liverpool. I just can’t imagine anyone seeing that play happen in the 92nd minute of a do or die game and go, “nah that’s a good no call”.

Oh 100 percent doesn't make it okay though.

I have to say I've seen the play about 10 times, and don't see a penalty. Would love a another angle on it.

Vazquez never got hit in the chest

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015

I have to say I've seen the play about 10 times, and don't see a penalty. Would love a another angle on it.

He got pushed in the back first. You should be able to see it first time now even with your Barca glasses.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
This was an afterthought at the time but that miss by Ronaldo near the end of the first game turned out to have a huge impact on the tie.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Nahh he's the best ref in England.

1) He isn't
2) Even if he was, that don't make him a good ref.

Well he deserved what he got. I have all the respect in the world for Gigi, he’s one of the best goalies to grace the sport, but you can’t jump into the refs face and push him multiple times. Easy red.

Mandzukic, Chielini, Benatia were doing the same.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
This same contact is called 99% of the time you mean.

I meant that force of contact is ignored most of the time on corners, spots barely inside the box, when the player is moving away from goal/has their back to goal, etc.

More in general, and because I'm waiting on hold and have time to type:

I'd say that exact situation, hitting a player from behind (even lightly) when that player is receiving the ball and has a wide open net, is called a penalty the vast majority of the time.

I'd also say that type of play is very frequently called a foul outside the box. Defender moving to the ball, check up, attacker lightly contacts him in the back, defender goes down. That almost always results in a free kick for the defensive team.

I'm fine with having a difference in how certain contact is called based on the overall context of the play. There's going to be some jostling on corners and FKs and that's fine. But that's a different situation than denying an almost sure goal.

If you don't think the context should matter, I suppose that you have the right to believe that, but then you should be calling for a penalty on basically every corner or FK near the box.

Reactions: Pouchkine

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Coming through or jumping over the back of someone isn't a legal play. Benatia pushes Vazquez in the back and wraps his leg around his chest, you can't do that, that's clearly an illegal play. If Manolas did the same thing to Messi you'd be screaming penalty, just like I would be if that happened to Martial.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I meant that force of contact is ignored most of the time on corners, spots barely inside the box, when the player is moving away from goal/has their back to goal, etc.

More in general, and because I'm waiting on hold and have time to type:

I'd say that exact situation, hitting a player from behind (even lightly) when that player is receiving the ball and has a wide open net, is called a penalty the vast majority of the time.

I'd also say that type of play is very frequently called a foul outside the box. Defender moving to the ball, check up, attacker lightly contacts him in the back, defender goes down. That almost always results in a free kick for the defensive team.

I'm fine with having a difference in how certain contact is called based on the overall context of the play. There's going to be some jostling on corners and FKs and that's fine. But that's a different situation than denying an almost sure goal.

If you don't think the context should matter, I suppose that you have the right to believe that, but then you should be calling for a penalty on basically every corner or FK near the box.
I agree with you on the whole.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He got pushed in the back first. You should be able to see it first time now even with your Barca glasses.

Who is this guy?

Coming through or jumping over the back of someone isn't a legal play. Benatia pushes Vazquez in the back and wraps his leg around his chest, you can't do that, that's clearly an illegal play. If Manolas did the same thing to Messi you'd be screaming penalty, just like I would be if that happened to Martial.

Oh, I know I'd be screaming for one... again that's not the point the point is if it was a legit penalty. That i'm not sure about.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I thought the penalty was harsh to call at that moment of the game. I wouldn’t have given it. IMO it was a 50-50 call and the ref went with a PK.

Buffon didn’t deserve a red. A yellow, absolutely bit not a red. If anything, with the call being a weak PK benatia should have been sent off instead.

Onto the semis

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I feel bad for juventus but it was a penalty all day. Sucks the game was decided by a penalty. Juv was waiting for the OT, they stopped playing. The ref was good all day. He let them play. Juv was really aggressive all day and he didn’t call hardly anything on the constant tries by Ronaldo.
Buffon would’ve been looking dumb if they go to OT and something happens because he wasn’t there. He’s all he way on the other side, not the best view.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Who is this guy?

Oh, I know I'd be screaming for one... again that's not the point the point is if it was a legit penalty. That i'm not sure about.
Then you have no clue about the rules of the game. That's a CLEAR CUT PENALTY. Even with your JuveBarca glasses on.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
All the butthurts talking about the penalty, how come you ignore the phantom offside for a perfectly good goal? Oh right, because it doesn't fit your agenda to bitch and complain. Calls go both ways, get over it and respect the biggest and best club in the world.

Anyone can win, but I'm hoping to see a Madrid vs Liverpool final.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I feel bad for juventus but it was a penalty all day. Sucks the game was decided by a penalty. Juv was waiting for the OT, they stopped playing. The ref was good all day. He let them play. Juv was really aggressive all day and he didn’t call hardly anything on the constant tries by Ronaldo.
Buffon would’ve been looking dumb if they go to OT and something happens because he wasn’t there. He’s all he way on the other side, not the best view.
Now that's the best post in the whole thread. Thank You

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If my team didn't get that penalty call I would go absolutely insane. Now why RM always gets every borderline penalty call? That's a good question indeed.

As for everyone wanting to play Roma in the next round, I will leave with this.

Doesn't concede at home against Atletico.
Doesn't concede at home against Chelsea.
Doesn't concede at home against Shakhtar, who beat City.
Doesn't concede at home against Barcelona.

Actually has a massive xG advantage over Barcelona over the two legs, which means their victory was no fluke. They dominated them over the course of two legs and had some fluke own goals go against them, in combination with bad finishing at Camp Nou.

If someone said Liverpool or RM or Barcelona or Juve or PSG or Bayern did all that, and that it was a different team than Roma, would you want to play them? I have no personal preference for who I want Liverpool to play, but I do think that Klopp knows Bayern's players the best and that could be an advantage.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Of course it's the point. You'd be screaming for that to be a penalty because it's a f***in penalty. You'd have to be a complete hypocrite to say that you'd want that to be a penalty for your team, but it's debatable for another team.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Juve fans should be more upset at the €90 million ghost that only shows up in Serie A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->