GWT: CL Match Day 1

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not go full studs in?
Reckless challenge, regardless of intention is a foul every time.

No idea how you'd think the contrary :dunno:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I dunno...they showed a bunch of replays and I think Sturridge's challenge was fair. Keeper dived at it with his body and Studge got the ball.

Fair enough I'm not really sure if there's a specific rule about it but I think the studs could definitely define it as excessive. Not upset about it but just wasn't sure.

Also Sturridge needs to do better.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Yea, we have already had it established that getting the ball means very little this year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Being biased is OK, but how is anyone claiming that is not a foul seems extremely far-fetched to me.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I dunno...they showed a bunch of replays and I think Sturridge's challenge was fair. Keeper dived at it with his body and Studge got the ball.

Fair enough I'm not really sure if there's a specific rule about it but I think the studs could definitely define it as excessive. Not upset about it but just wasn't sure.

Also Sturridge needs to do better.
Even if you do accept this premise, Areola then made the save and was fouled afterwards by a cleat to the groin.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Seems kind of weird given how talented he is and how well he's performed the last two seasons especially.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll be honest , I'm not a huge Mertens fan either. But yeah, under Sarri he was pretty much a false 9 , and Carlo doesn't roll like that.

He wants a direct outlet , and Mertens is way too small to offer that.

I felt they should've sold him in the summer , because Sarri made him a far more prolific player than he actually is. Seems my suspicions were correct, though, I didn't expect Carlo to bench him. I thought he'd take Callejon's position at RW.

He's pretty much a super-sub until further notice.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It was a foul and it was also offside so never should have gotten to that point.

Also, Sturridge's minimal athleticism seems to now be gone and he should be taken off. Wonder what could have been if his thighs didn't explode every two months.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Keep your damn studs down? Getting the ball isn't the rule
Sturridge got the ball played it down and the momentum took him into the keeper. Both players had a right to the ball. the keeper certainly didnt have it cleanly. If the arguement is that Areola saved it he also spilled it into Salah who scored the rebound.

Agree to disagree but I dont see what Sturridge could have done differently. Areola also took a lousy line to the ball. If he would have held it then it would have been a foul. If Sturridge didnt get the first touch it's a foul, but I dont see it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What the hell Sturridge that was awful. We would look so much better with Firmino out there. I wouldn't even mind Shaqiri at this point.
Even if you do accept this premise, Areola then made the save and was fouled afterwards by a cleat to the groin.
Fair enough. I've seen stuff like that let go before on that premise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad