GWT: CL Match Day 1

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because he wasn’t good enough?

Maybe if Kane hadn’t gone through Spurs academy we wouldn’t have him.

I still don’t get your point because it seemed like your point was young English players shouldnt go to big clubs but go to Germany instead.

Then when people pointed out that was wrong you seemed to try take a shotgun approach to ignoring guys that didn’t fit your narrative, poking small holes in terms of injuries and other garbage or focusing on other players.

Now you seem to be on about academies but again when pointed out how it is wrong go again into one off players that don’t really have much to do with anything.

It seems more like you are a German fan trying to take a shot at English teams more than anything.

I am not a German fan. Please don't distort my argument, otherwise I am not going to respond any further to poor attempts to back English clubs against clear evidence.

I am making the very real point that the best English teams have done a bad job with young English products from their academies. They bring in too many players for large sums, and the young Englishmen are now leaving to other countries.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
No, thats your incorrect interpretation. I didn't say they are forced to stay in England.

Dele was given a chance because his team wasn't bringing in signings for large sums that will play over him. If he came through the Spurs academy, he might be playing for Milton Keynes now instead of the other way around.

Sancho will probably end up playing more this season by himself than all his teammates that played with him at the Youth World Cup, but I guess lets just ignore that, and act like some of the best English talents aren't now leaving for other countries.

United have spent ungodly sums of money and Rashford still played more than anyone the last two years. Liverpool have bought a bunch of players but didn't splash tens of millions on an RB but instead trusted TAA (looks like rightfully so).

Those are just two easy examples of big English clubs trusting young players even as they're bringing in talent.

And which best young English talents are leaving for other countries? Basically every national team player from senior squad down to u16 plays for or is owned by an English squad. Sancho and Panzo are basically the only ones who aren't.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I am not a German fan. Please don't distort my argument, otherwise I am not going to respond any further to poor attempts to back English clubs against clear evidence.

I am making the very real point that the best English teams have done a bad job with young English products from their academies. They bring in too many players for large sums, and the young Englishmen are now leaving to other countries.

Sorry I thought you were a BVB fan.

Is this based on anything other than Sancho and Edwards?

They are leaving because they aren’t good enough. The actual good young players are staying in England.

I am not sure the top English have ever done a better job of using young English players than they do now. England was just one of the younger teams at the WC made up entirely of English based players.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

LOL

Sorry to missed the “clear evidence” gem.

Are you serious? People have posted clear evidence that you are wrong and you either ignore it or move the goal posts.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
No, thats your incorrect interpretation. I didn't say they are forced to stay in England.

Dele was given a chance because his team wasn't bringing in signings for large sums that will play over him. If he came through the Spurs academy, he might be playing for Milton Keynes now instead of the other way around.

Sancho will probably end up playing more this season by himself than all his teammates that played with him at the Youth World Cup, but I guess lets just ignore that, and act like some of the best English talents aren't now leaving for other countries.
I'm confused on your premise of criticism.

If I get it correctly, is it that the top English teams don't develop youth all the way through to their senior team?

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
For me it is interssant to point out how historically English players abroad, excluding rare exceptions, have never done waves.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
For me it is interssant to point out how historically English players abroad, excluding rare exceptions, have never done waves.
It's also fair to point out the best English players rarely go abroad, especially in their primes.

Even so, Steve McManaman was man of the match of a Champions League final playing for Real Madrid.

If you want to expand to the UK as a whole, look what Bale has done for Madrid. Paul Lambert started in CL final for Dortmund.

There are also examples of success

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
It's also fair to point out the best English players rarely go abroad, especially in their primes.

Even so, Steve McManaman was man of the match of a Champions League final playing for Real Madrid.

If you want to expand to the UK as a whole, look what Bale has done for Madrid. Paul Lambert started in CL final for Dortmund.

There are also examples of success

You made a good point and it is true there are also example of success. First one I think is Gascoigne, anyway for a Bale there is always a Ian Rush :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad