GWT: CL Match Day 1

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
and how it is a stretch or even worse how one seems uneducated if they say Liverpool is a better team than PSG? what's so ridiculous and uneducated about this statement?
That's not his point.
And Liverpool was a better team today. Nobody said the contrary.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
PSG has had their problem exposed in Ligue 1, how it's the league's fault? Tuchel is a very offensive coach, his teams lack defensive balance especially when players still learning his playing style. They'll get better, but I think this is a team to really become a UCL contender in the next season, year 2 of Tuchel.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Also, I hope we are able to have this conversation later in the season when Keita and Fabinho are regular starters, and when Gomez is more used to playing CB and has improved more from his already quite high standard.

The irony of some of the grumbles that Liverpool are bad is no one will care because they got the three points they needed. Ugly or not, points are points.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was a really bad performance, but I guess we won, so thats better than losing.

The Pulisic goal was lucky, but he kind of deserved a goal for a really good performance. Not many other good performances. Buerki looked better today than the UCL struggles last season. Akanji was good until the late blunders that nearly cost us the game. Not much else good today. I'd say we weren't bad defensively, but Brugge posed almost no threat. The attack was so out of sync. The amount of poor touches was staggering, no one could weight their passes correctly, bad decisions when they got themselves into position to score. I'd say it was just an off day, but the offense has looked dreadful so far under Favre, so its not a one off.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also, I hope we are able to have this conversation later in the season when Keita and Fabinho are regular starters, and when Gomez is more used to playing CB and has improved more from his already quite high standard.
Let's hope for a tense final ;)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This was an early season game, the teams have just barely started. People should not judge too much from these games unless a team has a massive obvious weakness.

Spurs midfield and Napoli without Sarri are striking me as two of those kinds of weaknesses. Both teams look a level below their prior standard.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I would agree, but Bayern never really had this problem. Juve, Real and Barca don’t have to worry about 80-90% of their league matches either if we are being honest.

Some of it has to be put on the players.

Yeah but not really the same imo. German football in general, sure might lack the quality besides the top teams, but the way the game is played in Germany means they can't snooze their way through to the title as PSG can. Spain has Real, Barca, Athletico and a few teams that usually have a good season every now and then + just a way better league from top to bottom. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really think PSG playing in La Liga or Premier League for example would show in the Champions League aswell.

Do we need to talk about PSG being fairly reffed against Barca two years ago? Would you be signing this tune if PSG had eliminated them like they should have?

People need to stop saying crap like that. They whipped Barca 4-0. How does it work for your theory? Return leg should have been 3-2 (penalty, red card on Mascherano, by his own admission at 3-1).
Excuses, excuses, excuses. They haven't been able to make anything happen and that's a fact.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
yeah the Napoli draw is good for Liverpool and PSG.
If PSG beats them at home, they'll have 1 point with Pool at 6 and PSG at 3.

What a goal by Dembele BTW.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Excuses, excuses, excuses. They haven't been able to make anything happen and that's a fact.
No, YOU're ignoring FACTS. Because they fit your agenda.

How is what i said arguable?
If PSG had eliminated Barca two years ago after blowing them 4-0, would you say that? No you wouldn't. Your whole point would vanish. Well, they beat them on the field. Ref eliminated them.
They got punished by the ref hard in the first leg of the Real game as well. Offside on the penalty, etc... PSG was the better team in that game. At least, this one is arguable because Real was the better team in the return leg (without Neymar remember), but IMO, Real's CL was won there, in that home leg. They had been terrible until that point, and that win gave them huge confidence. Confidence that came from unjustified ref calls.

PSG has not disappointed in any CL campaign IMO except the City QF. They probably saw themselves in the semis before the game and paid for that. That was inexperience.
Other eliminations were close and everytime, a matter of circumstances eliminated them or put them on the brink (away goals against Barca and Chelsea, dramatic reffing at Barca, and bad reffing at Madrid).

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
PSG has had their problem exposed in Ligue 1, how it's the league's fault? Tuchel is a very offensive coach, his teams lack defensive balance especially when players still learning his playing style. They'll get better, but I think this is a team to really become a UCL contender in the next season, year 2 of Tuchel.
Their coach loaned out Lo Celso and bought a Stoke reject to play in a big CL game. He may be on the path to being a fraud.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, to be fair, this match was gravy for Liverpool. I don’t expect them to win their group, but they have to beat Napoli/Red Star at home and away to progress. They could draw away at Napoli, but I wouldn’t expect them to win at PSG (or draw to be fair). If you had offered Liverpool a point out of this one, they would’ve taken it

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I don't even know why I started this. Arguing anything French with you is like arguing with a wall.

I agree with you that right here and now they probably got some time until they reach their best getting used to a new system, new coach and all that. But since the PSG project started they have failed even though they have had the resourses and quality to go all the way. Blaming all those defeats on refs and bad luck are just pathetic.

Well I'm done now, god night.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I didn't blam ALL defeats for god's sake. Read what I wrote.
Since QSI took over they lost :
to Barca on away goals (QF). Barca better team. No argument.
to Chelsea on away goals (QF). 50/50. Late goal by a bad player sealed it. Shit happens.
to City (QF). THAT one was PSG sucking. As I said.
to Barca after dismal reffing. PSG should have been through. You'd be singing a different tune.
to Real. PSG better team in the first leg, refing killed them. Real clearly much better in the second leg, PSG much worst. Who knows how a different first leg would have changed the tie?

So after that you come up with "Blaming all those defeats on refs and bad luck are just pathetic".

Fact is your original argument doesn't stand.
First because Monaco, in the same league reached the SF. Of course, you don't seem to realize getting favourable draws actually matters as well.
Anyway, them reaching the SF with a bunch of kids ridicules your argument.
And as I said, if PSG had eliminated Barca after beating them 6-3 on agregate (fair reffing score), nobody would even try to use the weak ass argument you're using.

So, no your L1 argument doesn't stand. You know it and that's why you're resorting to nonsense sentences like "Blaming all those defeats on refs and bad luck are just pathetic".

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Well, it's my opinion obviously.
Liverpool isn't learning a new system under a new coach.
I believe March's PSG will be MUCH better than current PSG, who barely lost here away at Anfield (though Pool deserved the win, no argument here).

Yep, gotta agree with you here.
Obviously Liverpool and PSG are not playing at their best, but point being that PSG has a lot more room to improve in the current play than Liverpool. Then you consider that even with their poor play today PSG lost in the last minute playing away...

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Uhm your first paragraph is pretty much proving what I said about making up excuses. PSG hasn’t won or reached a final and that a big failure. On them, not refs or bad luck. My argument does stand. It might be right, it might be wrong, but it’s a factor that can’t just be dismissed like that.
Since when is reaching SF going all the way? And they weren’t in no snooze mode the entire season besides the Champions League. That shit is dangerous no matter what sport it is, some deal with it well and some not.

I'm not saying they don't have the quality, I'm saying there are other factors that might work against them that they may need to overcome

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't think it's possible to it to be a failure to make the QF in a competition with so many good teams.

Also, when was PSG ever better on paper than those better teams? Have we considered that part yet?

Even this year they could struggle. FB's are a bit weak sauce even when fit.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I don't think it's possible to it to be a failure to make the QF in a competition with so many good teams.

Also, when was PSG ever better on paper than those better teams? Have we considered that part yet?

Even this year they could struggle. FB's are a bit weak sauce even when fit.
City.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tuchel has a habit of bringing in former players of his that aren't good, and insisting that they get minutes. Did the same thing with Schurrle that he's now doing with Choupo-Moting.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That had nothing to do with anything tbh.

Main reason they lost if I had to pick something is Bernat. Second would be di Maria in midfield. Got tackled hard a few times and vanished.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I would call it a failure to not even have reached the semi's with all the money and quality invested for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad