GWT: CL Match Day 1

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean...you can talk about breakdowns or whatever but you have to give Firmino credit for that goal there were plenty of players in front of him and there to defend. Absolute class.

At the end of the day the vast majority of all goals come from some kind of defensive breakdown.

Liverpool absolutely deserved that win (not that PSG were bad or anything), and with Napoli tying that win was absolutely massive.
Yeah, but you did the same with Salah remember.
Most goals start from defensive mistakes, and in fact both the 2-2 and 3-2 look similar : awful giveaway by one of the main offensive players inside their 30-35 meters, and a defensive mistake by a defenseman on the ensuing play (Bernat/VVD). Class finish and bang.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Thats a really weird thing to say and probably why PSG aren't (yet?) in the class of Barça, Real, Bayern etc. Those never expect to lose even if they're missing some guys.
The reason they lost tonight is because they drew Barca/RM

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Champions League single season assist record holder James Milner creating the turnover

His transformation is the most dramatic of everyone.

I was really disappointed with the potential draw as I thought Liverpool deserved a victory and had done everything they were supposed to do to get it. They'd completely taken Neymar out of the game, the PSG goal had came after Cavani was offside, and PSG hadn't had any other big chances until Salah passed it to them and VVD missed a challenge. That last goal sits very well with me and I thought it was a deserved victory.

PSG played well in midfield, but their front three was really kept in check. I have a hard time seeing Lovren getting his starting position back.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Thats a really weird thing to say and probably why PSG aren't (yet?) in the class of Barça, Real, Bayern etc. Those never expect to lose even if they're missing some guys.
Damn, you guys need to read the whole post before answering. It goes far beyond missing 3 players, as explained mutiple times.

Reactions: Gecklund

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
PSG has never replaced the big losses in a prime-Silva and prime-Matuidi, so it clearly shows on the Europe campaign.

Liverpool is getting really fortunate that every good team they've played so far has had the injury-bug.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Salah seemed pissed on the bench after Firmino scored :laugh: A game to forget for him, Neymar as well.
Didn't see him on the bench, but I'd imagine if he was upset it was at himself for how poorly he played. He's still a very good player, but nowhere near as good as what people were hyping him up to be last season. He's still necessary to the way we play but it's also why I really wanted to get in another rapid threat from out wide to rotate with Salah and Mane this season. Sturridge and Shaqiri just aren't at that level and though Studge put in a decent shift today you could see that he's not going to be able to contribute in a significant role.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If you get the chance to see a replay, focus on Bernat. This is his side and he does absolutely nothing except look at Marqui trying to defend Firmino. Nothing. At some point he stretches his leg, but not even a full stretch :laugh:

Anyway, he's likely 3rd on PSG's depth chart after this game and once Kurzawa is healthy.

I auto dvr everything so I went back to watch it.

He bit so hard on Firmino’s fake shot that he just gave up on the entire play. Rabiot was also pretty lazy. Was right there for the turnover and gave some mild pressure to Gomez and VVD, but as soon as the ball went out wide he stopped running. I know that’s not his normal space, but he should have recognized the middle was still overloaded and there wasn’t much help outside. If he closes down Firmino earlier, then Firmino can’t come in as much to sell the shot with his left foot which means Marquinhos can cover more on the outside as opposed to being too worried about he cutback.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, but you did the same with Salah remember.
Most goals start from defensive mistakes, and in fact both the 2-2 and 3-2 look similar : awful giveaway by one of the main offensive players inside their 30-35 meters, and a defensive mistake by a defenseman on the ensuing play (Bernat/VVD). Class finish and bang.
Well, I think there's a bit of a difference in those situations. van Dijk and Gomez were essentially expected to defend a 2v2 against Neymar/Mbappé. PSG also didn't even have to win the ball back like Liverpool did; Salah gave it to them on a platter. At least PSG were still back in a defensive block and had at least 4 players in front of Firmino when he made that bit of space and got that perfect shot off.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And for the idiots who are going to masturbate themselves tomorrow, I also called a blowout for Lyon at City.
In fact I called all 3 losses.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Didn't see him on the bench, but I'd imagine if he was upset it was at himself for how poorly he played. He's still a very good player, but nowhere near as good as what people were hyping him up to be last season. He's still necessary to the way we play but it's also why I really wanted to get in another rapid threat from out wide to rotate with Salah and Mane this season. Sturridge and Shaqiri just aren't at that level and though Studge put in a decent shift today you could see that he's not going to be able to contribute in a significant role.

Um you are judging way too quickly. How many times did he win the ball away from the defender in the final third. Like six or seven?

PSG has never replaced the big losses in a prime-Silva and prime-Matuidi, so it clearly shows on the Europe campaign.

Liverpool is getting really fortunate that every good team they've played so far has had the injury-bug.

Lmao. Liverpool isn't even in good form yet.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And if PSG and Liverpool meet again in March, I call for a PSG win.

See, that's context.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

See, that's context.

We shall see. Keita and Fabinho should be playing at their best by then as well. I also have a suspicion Liverpool will try to make a league clinching type signing in January.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

See, that's context.
I don't think it's cut or dry either way, but I don't see how anyone would consider them favourites at least considering Liverpool looked the much better team today.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So Mbappe loses the ball in his own 30 meters and Bernat doesn't even try to help Marquinhos one on one.

Sums up the game pretty well.

Mbappe had a very disappointing game.

Liverpool deserved the win, they are playing some good football this season.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
That story has already been played this week, since crazy Egyptian fans threatened and harassed Mane on social media for being "selfish".

Glad Liverpool was able to fend off PSG's horde of shirtless male fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad