GWT: CL Match Day 1

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sancho started today in the Champions League at 18 years old. Didn't perform well, but he's been pretty good this season, and is getting closer to being a regular starter. Could you imagine that happening at Man City or any of the best English clubs?

More of the best English players should see this opportunity that Sancho is getting, Nelson is getting, Lookman got, and use it. They can always transfer back to England within 2-3 years after they've established themselves. Every other countries best players move around from league to league. Why is it a must that the English players remain in England?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Sancho started today in the Champions League at 18 years old. Didn't perform well, but he's been pretty good this season, and is getting closer to being a regular starter. Could you imagine that happening at Man City or any of the best English clubs?

Um some 19 year old English RB just stopped Neymar and scored in the CL last season. Started in the final too. Younger than Lookman btw.

So yes I could totally imagine it because it is happening.

If you're good enough to play you'll play.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Um some 19 year old English RB just stopped Neymar and scored in the CL last season. Started in the final too. Younger than Lookman btw.

Dier, Kane, Alli all broke out as starters when they were 21 or younger as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

You gave one example. How many minutes has Foden played so far this season? What about Loftus-Cheek? Gomes? Solanke? Odoi?

Most of these players aren't playing. Good for Klopp that he gave TAA a chance, but the next players should be looking to follow the example of Sancho, Nelson, Lookman instead of hoping that they'll get in the team over the next 40M signing.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You gave one example. How many minutes has Foden played so far this season? What about Loftus-Cheek? Gomes? Solanke?

Most of these players aren't playing. Good for Klopp that he gave TAA a chance, but the next players should be looking to follow the example of Sancho, Nelson, Lookman instead of hoping that they'll get in the team over the next 40M signing.

I'm not at home but Gomez has started literally every game. Please learn the subject before commenting.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not at home but Gomez has started literally every game. Please learn the subject before commenting.

Gomez started at a lower league team, played a season of games, and then transferred to Liverpool. Not remotely the same situation. But lets use the example. He got 10 games in all competitions his first two seasons at Liverpool. What would he have gotten had he chose to go abroad?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He blew out his knee after starting every game then too. When you blow out your knee you miss games. He played every week until having a major knee injury, one so bad he could only rarely play reserve games when he came back the following season.

Please...stop talking...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Still so high on that Firmino goal. What a damn legend. One of the very best players in the world, period.

Loved van Dijk redeeming his poor tackle with a goal saving block on Draxler.

Wijnaldum, Milner and Henderson were incredible today. So were Trent and Robbo. Mane and Salah still look off but the way we've been playing without them in top form is so encouraging.

Reactions: New Jersey

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That it took a late Firmino free kick for Liverpool to win despite being slightly better than PSG. Now imagine if PSG had Verratti

That's not what happened either lol what is going on here today. The goal was from free play after VVD fed him a good pass and he created it all alone.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That it took a late Firmino free kick for Liverpool to win despite being slightly better than PSG. Now imagine if PSG had Verratti
Now imagine Firmino started? Or Salah played or Neymar for that matter.

One could do this all day but LFC got 3 points and they were deserved end of story.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That's not what happened either lol what is going on here today. The goal was from free play after VVD fed him a good pass and he created it all alone.
Sorry been a long day and honestly thought the Messi goal was the Firmino goal because I’ve been studying all day :laugh: now that free kick goal makes more sense. Still the point stands without the free kick.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Now imagine Firmino started? Or Salah played or Neymar for that matter.

One could do this all day but LFC got 3 points and they were deserved end of story.
I agree that Liverpool were better for sure. I don’t think the gap was as big as some would say. I think this is a conversation that will have to wait until the next game where hopefully Neymar, Mbappe, and Salah all show up and Verratti, Firmino, Fabinho and Keita all play.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Really was expecting more from Neymar.

The commentators on the feed I was watching pointed it out, but it was shocking how open TAA was for those out balls to relieve pressure. Basically left unmarked.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

The commentators on the feed I was watching pointed it out, but it was shocking how open TAA was for those out balls to relieve pressure. Basically left unmarked.
TAA really impressed me today. Not only in defense which I already knew he could do but also in attack where there were a couple times that he carved open PSG.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Neymar was completely useless defensively. Mbappe wasn't much better though. These two are offensive stars but definitely gave Liverpool a lot of room to work with on the ball.

I wonder if Neymar still thinks we aren't top 4 material.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Very good second half from Barça. Messi's second was very well taken and once again quality goals from him all three. Dembele clearly playing with confidence (Umtiti's half time talk to him in the tunnel no doubt) which is great to see. I think I've seen smile twice now too. He just needs to get better in the final third. Suarez worked his ass off and nearly scored a golazo. Good to see Arthur get some minutes. Valverde better make use of him with the fixture crunch we're now in.

I love watching Barca play. The problem with them is that half the time they aren’t playing and they’re flopping all around or *****ing at the ref. You have one of the best teams in the world and you’re playing a Dutch side that is definitely good but should be no where near your level. If you can’t beat them without the refs help, then they shouldn’t be in the CL.

Sorry mate, but that's bullshit. They weren't flopping all around and the few times they bitched at the ref they had a point. A PSV player did the same thing to Alba that earned Umtiti a second yellow card and didn't even get whistled for the foul. And Umtiti's first card was presumably for allowing an opponent to tug his shirt. They didn't need the ref's help nor did they get it. The only player you could remotely accuse of this was Suarez and that's how Suarez approaches every ref and linesman every match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad