Chychrun Megathread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Florida now needs to shed salary, and needs LD.

Assuming Knight anchors the deal and Hornqvist comes the other way, what is the ask? Nause? Florida is out of picks.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
With Weegar gone Florida needs a top 4 Dman

Chychrun
for
Hornqvist
Luostarinen
Ludwig
2023 2nd

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
With Weegar gone Florida needs a top 4 Dman

Chychrun
for
Hornqvist
Luostarinen
Ludwig
2023 2nd

That's closer to the price just to dump Hornqvist.

I'm thinking Knight, Nause, Samoskevich, 2nd is closer.

I bet they really like Sourdif too.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I never thought Lundell was a real possibility. But you’re right, I wouldn’t have been happy with any trade that didn’t have Knight, Samoskevich and a 1st.

I’ve seen Greig play quite a few games. And also Samoskevich. So that’s what’s driving my prospect rankings. Greig wins faceoffs, hits, fights, stirs the pot, is a dual threat offensively and a dedicated two way player.

Samoskevich is a nifty winger who does cool things with the puck. I like him. I actually consider myself to be a big Samoskevich fan. But I wouldn’t trade one Greig for two Samoskeviches. That’s just me. :dunno:
I posted in a different thread but if the Coyotes didn't have the worst timing possible, Lundell wouldn't have been an absurd idea (personally I still don't think it but whatever) but of course as soon as rumors started flying around Lundell had a ridiculous January. Rumors died down and he immediately went back to normal numbers. Classic Coyotes!

1658553515194.png

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At the TDL I wanted Knight+Samoskevich+1st for Chychrun and I said I’d still puke if it happened. Now I think we’re going to get Knight+Samoskevich+2nd and we have to eat Hornqvist on top of that.

Now, I will be dunked on by many. However, in my defense, I was always talking about how I saw it. Me. I don’t value goalies that highly. I have a strong suspicion that BA very much does. We aren’t the same. And I’ve suspected and been worried about him being secretly obsessed with adding an A+ young goalie asset. And I suspect it’s been the driving force of a lot of the rumors we’ve heard. While I’d hate a Chychrun for Knight deal, I wouldn’t be surprised if BA would love it.

I don’t see how Florida fixes their cap situation and their blueline situation without doing Hornqvist and Knignt for Chychrun. They get the local kid home. And they can spin it as moving Huberdeau and Weeger out for younger upgrades.

Bob is 10aav and has a NMC and 4yrs left. He’s not going anywhere. They don’t have any 1sts left to attach to him. And he’s really good again. So they might as well roll with him.

This Chychrun to Florida thing has been going on for like 9 months now. Suddenly the perfect opportunity has materialized to make it happen finally. The coyotes literally only have one NHL goalie in their entire system. Haha.

I think this is happening.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Helpful Cats just reminded me that Duke was a no-show in the playoffs twice, is hurt until January, and they can’t fit his cap when he comes back.

Knight+Duke+Hornqvist+whatever futures they have left for Chychrun makes sense. Duclair can rehab here. Use Jan-Apr as an easing in and then work hard in the final year of his deal to get moved to a playoff team ahead of UFA. Hornqvist can be the new Loui Eriksson. But this time a huge pain in the ass version that plays like BA likes.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
It won’t be Lundell. If FLA didn’t trade Lundell for f-ing Matt tkachuk, they won’t trade him for chychrun.

Also I’ve been on vacation and saw this trade as the first thing in my feed after getting service back. My jaw hit the floor!

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They would have seen plenty of Samoskevich with the Steel and Sourdif with Edmonton. I think Nause needs to be in the deal.

I'd ask Pittsburgh if they want to swap Hornqvist@50% for Zucker and a pick. Laundering Tarasenko is also an option to get another pick.

With Weegar presumably out of the picture, Klingberg is the last stumbling block to getting max value out of these teams going for it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It won’t be Lundell. If FLA didn’t trade Lundell for f-ing Matt tkachuk, they won’t trade him for chychrun.

Also I’ve been on vacation and saw this trade as the first thing in my feed after getting service back. My jaw hit the floor!
Florida had to make the salary work, and they are already giving up a lot of talent.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I don't know.

The thing about the FLA / CGY trade is it completely fixes FLA's long term cap issues in a way that none of us would've expected. Next year they have close to 11m coming off the books (11m!) in terms of Hornqvist / Keith Yandle buyout. So while they don't really have a contender-level D this year, they just extended their window indefinitely for as long as their 24-26 year old core stays good. Which is what, another 5-7 years-ish?

Anyway given their cap situation this team no longer needs to be "win this year or risk becoming irrelevant again." And if they don't care as much about this year, that would explain why they gave up both Huby AND Weegar -- that's not a trade that makes your team immediately better esp when your defense was weak to start with.

And there's no real issue re: cap compliance this year, worst case they could just buy out Hornqvist and basically call it a day esp since Duclair is going on LTIR once the season starts. And with a Horn buyout instead of 11m coming off the books next year they'd only have 9m coming off instead. Who cares.

So yeah, if they ARE playing the long game, they don't need to trade for Chychrun, they can try to go after him when he becomes a UFA. If they want to win this year, obvi they should try to make that trade. But I don't think they necessarily need to given they have a 24 year old Matt TK locked up alongside a 26 year old Barkov through 2030 (Ek is also 26 and will not need much of a raise if any)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't know.

The thing about the FLA / CGY trade is it completely fixes FLA's long term cap issues in a way that none of us would've expected. Next year they have close to 11m coming off the books (11m!) in terms of Hornqvist / Keith Yandle buyout. So while they don't really have a contender-level D this year, they just extended their window indefinitely for as long as their 24-26 year old core stays good. Which is what, another 5-7 years-ish?

Anyway given their cap situation this team no longer needs to be "win this year or risk becoming irrelevant again." And if they don't care as much about this year, that would explain why they gave up both Huby AND Weegar -- that's not a trade that makes your team immediately better esp when your defense was weak to start with.

And there's no real issue re: cap compliance this year, worst case they could just buy out Hornqvist and basically call it a day esp since Duclair is going on LTIR once the season starts. And with a Horn buyout instead of 11m coming off the books next year they'd only have 9m coming off instead. Who cares.

So yeah, if they ARE playing the long game, they don't need to trade for Chychrun, they can try to go after him when he becomes a UFA. If they want to win this year, obvi they should try to make that trade. But I don't think they necessarily need to given they have a 24 year old Matt TK locked up alongside a 26 year old Barkov through 2030 (Ek is also 26 and will not need much of a raise if any)
I love part of Florida’s core. They do need to figure a way out of Bobrovsky though because that contract is an anchor.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I love part of Florida’s core. They do need to figure a way out of Bobrovsky though because that contract is an anchor.

100% agree it's an anchor but they no longer need to do anything. No big raises coming up and starting next year they'll even have a bit of cap space to get a free agent D (assuming they don't re-sign Gudas).

Even including Bob's contact, this team's cap is no longer a tire-fire, they also don't have to give big contracts to their close to ~30 year old UFAs. And if Bob keeps playing the way he did last year (or even returns to Vezina form) this team will be fine once they get another D or two. Starting next year they should easily be able to afford one

Reactions: Jakey53

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Does anyone see us actually getting another 1st round pick in 2023 ? I am starting to think not . So I can see us trading to Florida to take on Hornqvist plus a 2023 2nd plus some jumble of other players/prospects and losing Chychrun

Would not Edmonton be the place to look ? They still need to sign 5 players , they are right at the cap and still have their 2023 1st?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Does anyone see us actually getting another 1st round pick in 2023 ? I am starting to think not . So I can see us trading to Florida to take on Hornqvist plus a 2023 2nd plus some jumble of other players/prospects and losing Chychrun

Would not Edmonton be the place to look ? They still need to sign 5 players , they are right at the cap and still have their 2023 1st?

I don’t see us getting a first rounder until the draft. Meaning BA guns for everyone’s 2nd this year and then moves up

Chychrun to FLA

For Hornqvist, 2023 2nd, Knight, 2031 1st, Samoskevich

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It doesn’t make sense for Florida to further open their contention window just to throw away next year. They will still look to compete next year. Jobs are always at stake. Look how badly they f***ed over Brunette for instance.

Re: Bobrovsky, they’re stuck with him. No way out of it. But he was good enough last year. I think they have greater priorities.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hornqvist + 'FLA '23 2nd + Nause for '24 7th

Chychrun to EDM for Broberg, Puljujarvi, '23 1st, Barrie

FLA '23 2nd to SJ for Adin Hill

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know.

Buying out Hornqvist doesn't get them to Compliant. And they have come closer to not having Cap issues, but they did it by getting worse on the ice and the D is still not good. Plenty of time to fix it but they are not as good on paper as they finished playoffs.

Reactions: Jakey53

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
FLA is so stupid (and it was so predictable at the time) for them to have spent the assets on Chiarot + Giroux so they could load up for one year only, rather than packaging the return for both of those guys and putting that towards Chychrun.

Although they've been leery to move Knight or Lundell, I think given how much pressure they're under right now, and how aggressive they've continued to be with this Tkachuk trade -- as well as their necessity to clear cap space -- it's really hard to take them out of the JC sweepstakes just yet.

Maybe it's going to have to be a return built around Knight, 2023 3rd + 2025 2nd + 2026 1st at this point. And let them also throw in a conditional 2027 1st rounder if they win a Cup before then! :laugh:

Reactions: PainForShane

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Buying out Hornqvist doesn't get them to Compliant. And they have come closer to not having Cap issues, but they did it by getting worse on the ice and the D is still not good. Plenty of time to fix it but they are not as good on paper as they finished playoffs.
I am more and lore in favour to implement a Logan’s Run rule and strategically plan to jettison any player once they get close to that 30 age mark.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I am more and lore in favour to implement a Logan’s Run rule and strategically plan to jettison any player once they get close to that 30 age mark.
And only in very rare occasions would I give out a large Cap long term contract. Personally I would rather have 4 second lines than a 1st line and 3 third lines. Over 30 I would be dealing in 1 or 2 year deals at best.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
To Columbus and taking back Nyquist

To Florida and taking back Hornqvist
To Calgary and taking back Lucic

Any other examples of trading him to a team and taking back bad cap to improve the return?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't know.

Buy out window has closed. They don't have any players who filed for arbitration. They can put Duclair on IR and go with 21 skaters, but they'll have to find a solution before Duclair returns in JAN, and even before then any short term injuries kill them.

They will clear cap. It's just a matter of how well they do it and how bad it hurts.

Reactions: PainForShane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland