Chychrun Megathread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You've been watching the team up close and personal for years, BA was in St. Louis minding his own business. He could have just come in and blown everything up immediately, but by being patient he was able to correctly identify that players like Keller and Crouse were worth keeping even when most people on this board thought Keller had one of the worst contracts in the league.
BA knew 10X more going into this about the team and every player than me or anyone else. Keeping Keller who was still young and looked a bit over paid and keeping Crouse isn't rocket science. BA didn't figure out he should keep Bunting 50+ points did he?

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I still can't quote anyone without it adding my comments inside of the quote box, making it hard to tell what's what.

@cobra427 what if Bunting wasn't willing to sign here? He fell into a rare Group VI category of free agents that consists of players who have played at least three pro seasons, but have appeared in fewer than 80 NHL games prior to turning 25.

Edit: Sounds like he knows lots of people in the Leafs ganization too.

Last edited:

avco

Feb 10, 2007
BA knew 10X more going into this about the team and every player than me or anyone else. Keeping Keller who was still young and looked a bit over paid and keeping Crouse isn't rocket science. BA didn't figure out he should keep Bunting 50+ points did he?
As a regular on this board why have you continually ignored other posters when they have stated that Bunting was adamant that he was going to go to Toronto since he is from the area; no other team mattered to him - even the Yotes.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
As a regular on this board why have you continually ignored other posters when they have stated that Bunting was adamant that he was going to go to Toronto since he is from the area; no other team mattered to him - even the Yotes.

Because it doesn't fit his narrative. haha

Reactions: jmelm

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Why’s everyone acting like BA made no effort to keep bunting? They made him an offer and he wanted to go home. Add in that he’s a former greyhound and the leafs GM loves those there was no way we’d keep him.
Because no one is accountable for e-drivel they spew, unless they choose to be accountable.

:popcorn:

Reactions: jmelm

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Because it doesn't fit his narrative. haha
Because there is always a reason why we lost another good young player somehow, it needs to stop. Remember, BA was evaluating the first year, I guess he didn't see Bunting would turn into much.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I do miss him though

HTB11KgRnOMnBKNjSZFoq6zOSFXar.jpg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Because there is always a reason why we lost another good young player somehow, it needs to stop. Remember, BA was evaluating the first year, I guess he didn't see Bunting would turn into much.
Bunting wanted to go to Toronto, and he is also older than BA's target player demo. Not rocket science.

And there aren't any good young players we've lost that I'm sitting here thinking, "We could NOT afford to lose him." Not even Garland.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Bunting wanted to go to Toronto, and he is also older than BA's target player demo. Not rocket science.

And there aren't any good young players we've lost that I'm sitting here thinking, "We could NOT afford to lose him." Not even Garland.
Exactly, so much recency bias even though we’ve seen players we like to elsewhere and not succeed. We saw Dvorak have an awful year and wouldn’t help us in the slightest if we brought him back, yet some people are still so upset that we traded him.

It’s like Yandle all over again, where it always seemed like people were always campaigning to bring him back just for 2012 nostalgia, despite it never really making any sense

IrishFin

Jun 9, 2016
The picks/prospects we got back in the Dvorak and Garland/OEL deals could very well be the prize long term. Dvorak and Garland are great complimentary players but not guys to build a contender around. Keeping them around also could have cost us getting Cooley at 3 overall with more meaningless wins during the year.

Guenther + Cooley + Geekie (Dvorak pick packaged to trade up) or Garland + unknown 1st + Dvorak

When looking at the trades, I’ll take that 1st group with the prospects any day based on their potential.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
You've been watching the team up close and personal for years, BA was in St. Louis minding his own business. He could have just come in and blown everything up immediately, but by being patient he was able to correctly identify that players like Keller and Crouse were worth keeping even when most people on this board thought Keller had one of the worst contracts in the league.
Man I sound like a downer. Keller and Crouse played to be traded. That ship has sailed. This will be the telling year.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Is BA making it so any decent player will want to sign here? For the next 3 to 5 years? The weather only goes so far lol. Right now, if your are a UFA or a RFA why sign for the Yotes? Besides easy compilation for a roster spot? I truly am interested in your views :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't blame BA completely for losing Bunting, rather the organization in general. They could have brought him up for a look see much earlier.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I still think Keller has one of the worst contracts in the league. But he's got *checks notes* SIX more years at $7.15 mil a year to prove me wrong.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Already did considering he was a PPG player with Travis Boyd as his center.
One season doesn't at a PPG doesn't convince me. He got $7.1 for the year before and 35 points in 56 games. He's trending in the right direction, though. Hopefully for him that injury that terrified everyone in the building doesn't hinder him when he comes back.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Why’s everyone acting like BA made no effort to keep bunting? They made him an offer and he wanted to go home. Add in that he’s a former greyhound and the leafs GM loves those there was no way we’d keep him.
BA could have insisted on Tocchet playing him the requisite number of games to retain his rights. That probably would have only kicked the ultimate result down the road a year or two but Armstrong probably could have extracted a little something from TO if Bunting continued to show well in AZ.

Reactions: cobra427

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
We've circled back around to Bunting again eh? Thought we had moved through that, agreeing that there was little BA could have (or even should have) done to retain Bunting. Let's see how Bunting performs this season, then maybe we can chastise BA for a miss.

I may hate that we're rebuilding, but I think BA has made great decisions, even if some turn out wrong. There's no world where he's right about every move and wins every decision, there will be some losses. I'm interested in percentage of wins vs losses.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
One season doesn't at a PPG doesn't convince me. He got $7.1 for the year before and 35 points in 56 games. He's trending in the right direction, though. Hopefully for him that injury that terrified everyone in the building doesn't hinder him when he comes back.
Keller will be fine. Not worried about him or his contract. He turned a corner this year and from what I watched throughout the year I personally believe it’s sustainable.

Reactions: PainForShane

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
How old is Keller again? Oh, 24- geez give me a break...

Same age as Chychrun who everyone is trying to trade...

For me, I also thought Keller's contract might have become one of the worst in hockey, but he showed enough last season that at the very least the bet was worth making.

Basically point a game and almost thirty goals despite missing some time... with this offense? And much harder on the puck than previous years, much more consistent from game to game also. Seriously what more can any of us reasonably expect. And yes, only 24 and might still get even better. But at the very least he should stay the same and if so that's a good contract for a good core player

Reactions: Fyreman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille