jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
To Columbus and taking back Nyquist

To Florida and taking back Hornqvist
To Calgary and taking back Lucic

Any other examples of trading him to a team and taking back bad cap to improve the return?

I don't see CGY being a fit unless it's a 3 way trade with them moving out one of Hanifin or Kylington (both top 4 LD for them) for other picks/prospects that they would then include + more in a JC trade. They also don't necessarily need to dump Lucic.

CLB won't move Nyquist now. It was either Nyquist or Bjorkstrand and they moved the latter. They need Nyquist for next year.

FLA, sure...if they're willing to give up Lundell ;)

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Buy out window has closed. They don't have any players who filed for arbitration. They can put Duclair on IR and go with 21 skaters, but they'll have to find a solution before Duclair returns in JAN, and even before then any short term injuries kill them.

They will clear cap. It's just a matter of how well they do it and how bad it hurts.

RIght but when is the 2nd buyout window (I am assuming there is one but not 100%). Everything I've seen says the "first buyout window" closed July 12 but everything I've seen also implies there's a second buyout window, couldn't find anything about when that 2nd buyout window actually is incl capfriendly which has obsolete year old information for some reason.

Do you know when 2nd buyout window is? If so please include a source, very curious over here. My guess is it's right before the season starts (that would make sense) but I haven't seen anything to confirm (or not) either way.

100% agree FLA needs to find a better solution before Duke comes back in Jan or whenever he fully heals.

BUT, with context my point was that it's very different to say "must clear 10m+ of long term cap during offseason or not be able to sign your free agents" rather than "long term cap is mostly fine, must clear ~1.5m of cap this season before Duke comes back in Jan." One is desperate, one is not. The latter may not even require an outside move depending however many waivers exempt ELC ppl you have on your roster, or maybe it's a small move like waiving a 2-way tweener like Ryan Lomberg.

But yeah, they will likely need to clear cap sometime before January. I just don't think it's as much of a need as it was before the CGY trade, so I don't think we'll be able to bend them over in a trade like I previously thought before this CGY trade went down

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
RIght but when is the 2nd buyout window (I am assuming there is one but not 100%). Everything I've seen says the "first buyout window" closed July 12 but everything I've seen also implies there's a second buyout window, couldn't find anything about when that 2nd buyout window actually is incl capfriendly which has obsolete year old information for some reason.

Do you know when 2nd buyout window is? If so please include a source, very curious over here. My guess is it's right before the season starts (that would make sense) but I haven't seen anything to confirm (or not) either way.

100% agree FLA needs to find a better solution before Duke comes back in Jan or whenever he fully heals.

BUT, with context my point was that it's very different to say "must clear 10m+ of long term cap during offseason or not be able to sign your free agents" rather than "long term cap is mostly fine, must clear ~1.5m of cap this season before Duke comes back in Jan." One is desperate, one is not. The latter may not even require an outside move depending however many waivers exempt ELC ppl you have on your roster, or maybe it's a small move like waiving a 2-way tweener like Ryan Lomberg.

But yeah, they will likely need to clear cap sometime before January. I just don't think it's as much of a need as it was before the CGY trade, so I don't think we'll be able to bend them over in a trade like I previously thought before this CGY trade went down
The 2nd buyout window is only available to teams who had players elect for arbitration. If you don't have a player who filed.... then you only get the 1 window which is already over.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
The 2nd buyout window is only available to teams who had players elect for arbitration. If you don't have a player who filed.... then you only get the 1 window which is already over.

I believe you, but do you have a source for this? I literally couldn't find anything after significant poking around. Much appreciated over here.

EDIT: Think I am good after looking at capfriendly again, thx for your input here

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I believe you, but do you have a source for this? I literally couldn't find anything after significant poking around. Much appreciated over here

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period​

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

Requirements:
  1. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline
  2. The player must have a cap hit of at least $4,000,000 for the 2022 offseason

Reactions: PainForShane

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period​

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

Requirements:
  1. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline
  2. The player must have a cap hit of at least $4,000,000 for the 2022 offseason

We missed each other, thx for the quick response though

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Call me crazy, but I think that if Chychrun was really on the market he would have been traded by now.

I think he stays.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Do re really need to focus on Lundell? We need a top 10 in the league goalie and D. With our 23 pick, Cooley, Geekie, Hayton, Guenther, Keller Schmaltz, Crouse, McBain, Smith and the AHL forwards our front end should be set

Reactions: PainForShane

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Do re really need to focus on Lundell? We need a top 10 in the league goalie and D. With our 23 pick, Cooley, Geekie, Hayton, Guenther, Keller Schmaltz, Crouse, McBain, Smith and the AHL forwards our front end should be set

If you're offered a player like Lundell, you say yes first and ask questions later. He would be ever so slightly behind Cooley as the top C prospect, and far ahead of Geekie or Hayton.

I think Hayton could be an effective winger if we wanted to move him to that position. We've just never considered it before now because C has always been a position of weakness. But he's got the attributes to be an effective winger and overall swiss army type player that could move up & down the lineup and at C or W IMO.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I am not sure I understand the negativity towards BA in regards to chychrun. He isnt going to just give him away for crap pieces. No one knows what was offered or what pieces BA really wanted. It didnt help that he got hurt last year just before the trade deadline.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Chychrun really hurt his own value last season. I don't see why BA would apologize for not giving him away, just to accommodate him wanting out.

If anything I think the apology was this : "I'm sorry Bill, but I'd like to be traded."

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
I hear what you are saying but I believe that we could of got dollar for dollar, now we will be lucky to get 25 cents on the dollar for value. I would of been over the moon to get a great prospect and a first. That ship has sailed. Asset management. He blew it on this one.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t think Lundell was ever possible. I never did. Knight is likely the target.

I had a goofy idea recently about Driedger heading back to Florida via retention from us as part of a Knight deal, where Seattle gets a youngisj 30g Winger in Duclair as the return.

To FLA:
Chychrun
Driedger (50% retained via AZ)

To SEA:
Duclair

To ARI:
Hornqvist
Knight
Samoskevich
Nause
‘23 2nd

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Could it be that when Klingberg signs maybe interest will pick back up on chychrun? Idk, I’ve hyped myself up so much on waiting for this trade that I’m just really tired of it.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I am not sure I understand the negativity towards BA in regards to chychrun. He isnt going to just give him away for crap pieces. No one knows what was offered or what pieces BA really wanted. It didnt help that he got hurt last year just before the trade deadline.

He played the waiting game and got what he wanted for Kuemper. It wasn't risk free, but he did ultimately back Sakic into a corner and read the situation correctly.

There's no reason for him to panic or blink early. Chychrun has a reasonable cap hit and AZ can easily make the money work for any team. They just need to have the appropriate dosh and the stones to trade it. That simple. There are multiple teams out there slamming on the gas that need LD.

Klingberg for free is a better get than trading something that hurts for Chychrun. So until that shoe drops, I wouldn't expect much. But some teams also need to clear space, so there's this weird combination of logjam and waiting game going on.

BA hasn't given any reason to doubt him. That's a pretty good place to be.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don’t think Lundell was ever possible. I never did. Knight is likely the target.

I had a goofy idea recently about Driedger heading back to Florida via retention from us as part of a Knight deal, where Seattle gets a youngisj 30g Winger in Duclair as the return.

To FLA:
Chychrun
Driedger (50% retained via AZ)

To SEA:
Duclair

To ARI:
Hornqvist
Knight
Samoskevich
Nause
‘23 2nd

That might work if Driedger wasn't out for the season. And Duclair has zero value right now (probably even negative value).

I actually truly believed that FLA would trade Duclair this summer and use those assets in a JC package (or for another Dman). But that ship sailed when he tore his achilles. He may never be close to the same player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hear what you are saying but I believe that we could of got dollar for dollar, now we will be lucky to get 25 cents on the dollar for value. I would of been over the moon to get a great prospect and a first. That ship has sailed. Asset management. He blew it on this one.
How the hell did BA blow it? 25 cents on the dollar for value? Get real will ya.

Reactions: Prarievarg

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
BA hasn't given any reason to doubt him. That's a pretty good place to be.
While I have no problems with the way he has handled the Chychrun situation thus far, I don't think you can discount how he handled the OEL trade. He waited about an off season too long, did nothing with the roster including the coach staff the first year and just let OEL's value tank to the point where the team is now on the hook for paying retention and lost Garland for basically nothing. I feel we could have picked up easily another 1st & 2nd if OEL was traded initially or there was a coaching change at some point in the first season BA arrived.

Reactions: Mangosteen

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
While I have no problems with the way he has handled the Chychrun situation thus far, I don't think you can discount how he handled the OEL trade. He waited about an off season too long, did nothing with the roster including the coach staff the first year and just let OEL's value tank to the point where the team is now on the hook for paying retention and lost Garland for basically nothing. I feel we could have picked up easily another 1st & 2nd if OEL was traded initially or there was a coaching change at some point in the first season BA arrived.
I don’t disagree but if we deal OEL a year prior does Vancouver finish 10-15 and instead of Guenther we are looking at Cossa (who was taken at 15 which is where Van finished this past year). That deal goes from extremely good to a maybe very quick.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
How the hell did BA blow it? 25 cents on the dollar for value? Get real will ya.
BA will not find a trade partner for his asking price. Chychrun will come back and play half hearted and get injured. Will probably go public and demand a trade. We will get crap for him and look like fools.

I don’t disagree but if we deal OEL a year prior does Vancouver finish 10-15 and instead of Guenther we are looking at Cossa (who was taken at 15 which is where Van finished this past year). That deal goes from extremely good to a maybe very quick.
Ya hopefully Guenther will be as good as Garland was for us ;)

Once he gets 47 goals in three years and bleeds Coyotes then I will agree with you :)

Last edited:

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
BA will not find a trade partner for his asking price. Chychrun will come back and play half hearted and get injured. Will probably go public and demand a trade. We will get crap for him and look like fools.

Ya hopefully Guenther will be as good as Garland was for us ;)

Once he gets 47 goals in three years and bleeds Coyotes then I will agree with you :)
So you think Chychrun lacks integrity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad