Chychrun Megathread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Noticing that Klingberg is still out there got me thinking about Dallas. Seems like they could use Chychrun. He's the same age as Heiskanen, Oettinger, and Robertson. And they have a ton of young reinforcements coming up. Johnston was OHL MVP, Stankoven was WHL MVP, and Bourque was Q playoffs MVP. The just used their first on a big LHD in Bichsel.

That to me adds up to them potentially being able to offer Harley+2023 1st for Chychrun. They'd be able to keep 4 of their top 5 prospects. They'd have two star defensemen, one for the right side and one for the left, and a start goalie. All the same age as their top star forward Robertson.

They're adding talent for right now, like Mason Marchment, so they're obviously still trying to compete. The overhauled their coaching staff. They aren't moving Benn or Seguin. Radulov left, so they have the cap to make it work.

To DAL:
Chychrun

To ARI:
Harley
2023 1st

DAL is an interesting call, because they'll have Suter and Benn expiring when JC's contract is going to expire, making him re-signing there a real possibility.

Regarding the proposal: if Harley is the prospect/young player coming back, the return is way, way too light. In fact, it might be one of the only proposals you've made that I think is an underpay rather than an overpay :)

I get that Johnson, Bourque or Stankoven won't be included, but then the '+' they need to add needs to be very significant. If we look at the Hampus Lindholm trade, it was a young D, a 1st and two second rounders.

In addition to Harley and a 1st, I would want either another 1st, or Ty Dellandrea, or Antonio Stranges, or both the 2023 + 2024 2nd rounders. And I'm not sold on Harley. I might prefer Grushnikov.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Marek and Friedman said on 32T just now that they think Ottawa is no longer in on Klingberg. Also said they're not done, they're not satisfied. They're still looking for a defenseman. Hmmm....

Reactions: Grimes

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
There was a tweet from one of those twitter pages that just type out things insiders say on radio shows saying Buffalo showed interest at one point or something like that. From Dreger's mouth apparently.

Doesn't make sense for Buffalo. We already have Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson as top 4 LHD. Even if you push 2 guys to their off side to squeeze Chychrun in there, he's not worth whatever Arizona's gonna ask for in exchange to Buffalo.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
With all the decent mid tier players left over still, it seems like it would have been good to wait until day 2 before filling the entire roster with bodies off the scrap heap like we did. Guess it doesn't matter so much this year outside of the goalie spot. Just want the team to be competitive enough that the players go into each game like they have a chance to win and prove something, that the games matter. I do like that they got a lot of bodies though. I think that early part of the schedule is going to be brutal and they are going to have a ton of attrition. Maybe they should plan to cycle players just to keep them somewhat fresh. Just need to find an adequate goalie...

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Marek and Friedman said on 32T just now that they think Ottawa is no longer in on Klingberg. Also said they're not done, they're not satisfied. They're still looking for a defenseman. Hmmm....

Makes sense they wouldn't be in on Klingberg. He's great offensively and average defensively. He's older than their core and will be expensive.

They have enough guys who can play on the PP and need someone more solid defensively. I see Matt Dumba or John Marino being a better fit if they're really intent on getting a right-shot. Or if they think JC or Chiabot can play on their off-side....

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I see Matt Dumba or John Marino being a better fit if they're really intent on getting a right-shot. Or if they think JC or Chiabot can play on their off-side....
I think the Wild had to make a decision on who to keep between Fiala and Dumba. I don't think Dumba is going anywhere.
I think I would have kept Fiala but Guerin and Fiala were not the best of friends it seems.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think the Wild had to make a decision on who to keep between Fiala and Dumba. I don't think Dumba is going anywhere.
I think I would have kept Fiala but Guerin and Fiala were not the best of friends it seems.

I would have agreed with you 24-48 hours ago, but I think it was yesterday that Michael Russo (MIN beat reporter) said that Guerin is listening on Dumba.

Because he’s a UFA next year and will be costly to resign, couple witb MIN’s cap crunch and emerging prospects like Addison and Faber, I think Guerin will move him this year if he gets a decent enough offer.

But I don’t think he’s really affecting the JC market because he’s a RD and a pure rental who’s making a higher salary. So OTT has to decide if they want to go the Dumba/Marino route, or play JC or Chiabot on RD. But all the other teams we’ve talked about as suitors for JC would be looking for a pure LD anyway (EDM, LAK, STL, etc...)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Hanzal played in 391 games his first 6 years, Chych 337, I know there was a strike shortened season in there, but it's pretty comparable. I think being consistently injured every year effects his value, that along with one outlier year for goals and being average in his own end. BA hasn't been able to fool anybody.

Even with Hanzal's injury issues we managed to trade him for a 1st, 2nd, and another later round pick. And his contract was up so you got no term.

Chychrun might be injury prone and is not as much as he'd be worth otherwise, but he's still worth an awful lot.

Reactions: Nowotny

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Even with Hanzal's injury issues we managed to trade him for a 1st, 2nd, and another later round pick. And his contract was up so you got no term.

Chychrun might be injury prone and is not as much as he'd be worth otherwise, but he's still worth an awful lot.

Honestly he'll be worth even more at the deadline. Cup contenders always need players like him, and generally cup contenders have no cap space. Chych's cap is 4.6m which essentially gets lower and lower the later we trade him (cap hit for in-season trades is pro-rated), he'll be one of the cheapest / best D deadline upgrades in the entire league.

So, value will be high at the deadline too. At this point I'm comfortable with his injury risk and I trust BA to maximize his return like Sakic / Duchene, Yzerman / Drouin, just like what he did with Kuemper (who is also injury-prone). BA's made so many good moves that at this point I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt in keeping Chych's asking price so high.

Also, Chych might absolutely change his mind after he sees what Cooley and Guenther can do, at some point Chych has to see what the rest of us see, namely this team might / should be very, very good while Chychrun is still in his prime. So, imo keeping him for now (esp in the absence of an amazing deal) isn't the worst idea at all

Reactions: Jakey53

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Honestly he's worth even more at the deadline. Cup contenders all need players like him, and generally cup contenders have no cap space. Chych's cap is 4.6m which essentially gets lower and lower the later we trade him (cap hit for in-season trades is pro-rated), he'd be one of the cheapest / best D deadline upgrade in the entire league.

So, value will be high. At this point I'm comfortable with his injury risk and I trust BA to maximize his return like Sakic / Duchene, Yzerman / Drouin, and like what he got for Kuemper (who is also injury-prone). BA's made so many good moves that at this point I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt in keeping Chych's asking price so high.

Also, Chych might absolutely change his mind after he sees what Cooley and Guenther can do, at some point Chych has to see what the rest of us see, namely this team might / should be very, very good while Chychrun is still in his prime. So, imo keeping him for now (in the absence of an amazing deal) isn't the worst idea

You're right about deadline values going up, but I still think the window has not closed AT ALL for this summer (and even the next week or two).

I think for a lot of the JC suitors, they need to first see what UFA's they were or were not going to sign (to determine both need and how much cap space they'll have), and also which players may be get moved out to in other deals to make cap space and possibly get assets back to use in a JC trade.

For many of the teams we see as suitors, I think they need to make other deals -- such as STL with Krug & Tarasenko. These things will take time and while I think there's certainly a very good chance JC starts the season here, I still think it's more likely than not that he gets moved before training camp. I'd peg the odds somewhere between 60/40 - 70/30.

Also, while the deadline would be a motivating factor for teams to step up and pay the price, there are also going to be some teams in the first month or two of the season who are either underperforming expectations or have injuries to existing players, and that could also be a real catalyst for a trade. So I don't even think he makes it near the trade deadline if he starts the season here to be honest.

Reactions: Jakey53

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
You're right about deadline values going up, but I still think the window has not closed AT ALL for this summer (and even the next week or two).

I think for a lot of the JC suitors, they need to first see what UFA's they were or were not going to sign (to determine both need and how much cap space they'll have), and also which players may be get moved out to in other deals to make cap space and possibly get assets back to use in a JC trade.

For many of the teams we see as suitors, I think they need to make other deals -- such as STL with Krug & Tarasenko. These things will take time and while I think there's certainly a very good chance JC starts the season here, I still think it's more likely than not that he gets moved before training camp. I'd peg the odds somewhere between 60/40 - 70/30.

Also, while the deadline would be a motivating factor for teams to step up and pay the price, there are also going to be some teams in the first month or two of the season who are either underperforming expectations or have injuries to existing players, and that could also be a real catalyst for a trade. So I don't even think he makes it near the trade deadline if he starts the season here to be honest.

Yeah you might be right, I guess we'll see. I'm actually really curious to see how Florida starts off, their team is worse than last year and they never fixed their D after giving up a King's ransom for a Chiarot rental of all things. And then Chiarot signs with DET for the same AAV as Chychrun how crazy is that.

For me, Chych's contract is what raises his trade value to astronomical levels. I mean, Sergachev just extended 8.5m x 8, they are the same age and Chychrun is better (and making 4.6 for multiple years going forward).

Anyway every single team with cup aspirations / defensive needs should seriously considering this guy. Or even teams like Ottawa or NJ who want to speed up their rebuild and would be able to offer good young assets / prospects. Either way I would think BA gets an absolute haul if we decide to move him, and if not we have a stud 24 year old D to build around. Not the worst thing either way

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Dahlin prefers the right side. I think Buffalo usually used him on the left. But I remember him saying his draft year he liked the right side. And Frolunda played him there I believe. Almost exclusively on the right during his draft year, at least. I think he’d be happy to move over.

Also Chychrun played about half of last season on the right side if I recall correctly. Something he did a little of in Sarnia.
This is correct on dahlin. He played the right mostly before being drafted and was moved to the right last year…which was kind of a risk because he really started taking off on the left the second half of the season. And I think he was even better after the move. It’s the way he plays in the offensive zone…hes better over there. He also had a good thing going with Samuelsson where they were switching on the fly when they had to get back and it worked really really well.

if Buffalo were to go after Chychrun I think it would be to do a similar thing with Power.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Buffalo fan. Looking strictly at Chychrun’s games played, it seems like he’s missed games each season. How’s his injury history? Thanks

rt

May 13, 2004
Buffalo fan. Looking strictly at Chychrun’s games played, it seems like he’s missed games each season. How’s his injury history? Thanks
Remember the shortened seasons. People forget when they look at his stat lines. Another thing to consider is the end of last season was likely not 100% the injury. It was probably the tank.

But yeah, generally he’s had injury issues. Not a reoccurring chronic specific issue. More like a random assortment of bad luck. People around here have lately been throwing around Hanzals name. It’s a bad comp. Hanzal had horrible back problems. Specific and chronic. One issue that wouldn’t get better. That’s not Chychrun. His injuries are so varied that he could just as easily be healthy from now on. There’s no predicting it.

rt

May 13, 2004
To NYI
No Return
**signs Kadri

To ARI
Bailey
‘23 2nd
‘24 3rd

To BUF
Chychrun
‘23 2nd (NYI)**
**conveys only if ‘23 BUF 1st
‘24 3rd (NYI)**
**conveys only if ‘24 BUF 1st

To ARI
Paterka
Portillo
‘23 1st (T10 protected)**
**slides to ‘24

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimes

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
CBJ fan here

I just dropped by to say I wouldn’t be surprised if Jarmo and BA work out a hockey trade for Chychrun. Adding Johnny Hockey has expedited the reset for the CBJ and it has been mentioned in a number of interviews they think Jarmo isn’t done on the backend especially now. We also have to become Cap Compliant after resigning Laine (hope). We can do it other ways but it makes sense to try and work out a trade with BA.

Reactions: Prarievarg

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
CBJ fan here

I just dropped by to say I wouldn’t be surprised if Jarmo and BA work out a hockey trade for Chychrun. Adding Johnny Hockey has expedited the reset for the CBJ and it has been mentioned in a number of interviews they think Jarmo isn’t done on the backend especially now. We also have to become Cap Compliant after resigning Laine (hope). We can do it other ways but it makes sense to try and work out a trade with BA.
I just don’t see it happening. You guys would have to give up a really good prospect+ in order for us to take a cap dump in addition to giving up Chychrun. The only contract I can think of that needs to be offloaded is Nyquist. Unless you send Nyquist out in a separate deal, you would have to pay more than the already significant asking price that Armstrong has held firm on.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I just don’t see it happening. You guys would have to give up a really good prospect+ in order for us to take a cap dump in addition to giving up Chychrun. The only contract I can think of that needs to be offloaded is Nyquist. Unless you send Nyquist out in a separate deal, you would have to pay more than the already significant asking price that Armstrong has held firm on.
CBJ fan here

Well, CBJ did just draft top D prospects Jiricek and Mateychuk.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

Their was a reference to having a trade in hand at the draft and I have to believe it was Chychrun. I also know Jarmo would not pay that asking price so I think the trade would be something less than was has been all over the boards.

As for the Nyquist deal - we don’t know it is Nyquist and I can’t imagine Jarmo just doing a cap dump. He has mentioned Teams have already been in contact since the Johnny Hockey signing and he seems to have options ready but is focusing on the Laine signing (1-1.5 million apart on a 5-6yr deal).

Also Jarmo, JD and BA go waayyy back. They all know each other really well so again I don’t see either side killing it if a trade is put together, but this is the only thing that seems to fit criteria younger asset, team controlled contract and defense.

Well, CBJ did just draft top D prospects Jiricek and Mateychuk.
Both are probably 1-3 years out and we need a top d for the right side to play with Zach W. I know Chychrun is not a RD but he can play either side - I thought?

rt

May 13, 2004
Their was a reference to having a trade in hand at the draft and I have to believe it was Chychrun. I also know Jarmo would not pay that asking price so I think the trade would be something less than was has been all over the boards.

As for the Nyquist deal - we don’t know it is Nyquist and I can’t imagine Jarmo just doing a cap dump. He has mentioned Teams have already been in contact since the Johnny Hockey signing and he seems to have options ready but is focusing on the Laine signing (1-1.5 million apart on a 5-6yr deal).

Also Jarmo, JD and BA go waayyy back. They all know each other really well so again I don’t see either side killing it if a trade is put together, but this is the only thing that seems to fit criteria younger asset, team controlled contract and defense.

Both are probably 1-3 years out and we need a top d for the right side to play with Zach W. I know Chychrun is not a RD but he can play either side - I thought?
I think Ceulemans and the ‘23 1st would be the basis of any deal. The other piece might be Foudy or Texier and/or another pick, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad