Player Discussion Chris Tanev, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Sign Schenn for cheap and pair with Hughes.

Resign Stecher and let Tanev walk.

Personally would try and trade Myers but that’s not happening.

Benn and Rafferty can battle for bottom 6 spot.

Personally I don’t think there would be much drop off from Tanev to Schenn and he would be a lot cheaper with much less term.

Resign Toffoli and possibly Markstrom if it makes sense.

I also think we can sign a bounce back player for relatively cheap this off-season I.e Vatanen.

Last edited:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Sign Schenn for cheap and pair with Hughes.

Resign Stecher and let stance walk.

Personally would try and trade Myers but that’s not happening.

Benn and Rafferty can battle for bottom 6 spot.

Personally I don’t think there would be much drop off from Tanev to Schenn and he would be a lot cheap with much less term.

Resign Toffoli and possibly Markstrom if it makes sense.

I also think we can sign a bounce back player for relatively cheap this off-season I.e Vatanen.

Schenn is no more than a 6/7 D. Hugh downgrade from Tanev. Even with Tanev declining, he is still a top 4D and Schenn is not.

Reactions: Levch

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Well at least that would make our decision about whether or not to re-sign him for us. Zero chance even anyone on this board would think a 5 year contract for him would turn out very well. This is exactly the type of contract we should be avoiding........yet there always seems to be one brainy GM who thinks otherwise.

Thanks for your service Tanev but we just ain't gonna come close to matching that.

The problem is we're really not in a position to let Tanev walk. Who comes remotely close to replacing him? We can probably talk him down to four years pretty easily but unless we're able to trade Virtanen for Carlo or something similar to shore up the right side. We may have to eat a longer term than we'd prefer.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The problem is we're really not in a position to let Tanev walk. Who comes remotely close to replacing him? We can probably talk him down to four years pretty easily but unless we're able to trade Virtanen for Carlo or something similar to shore up the right side. We may have to eat a longer term than we'd prefer.

What do you think about Adam Larsson to replace Tanev? He's not a shutdown player, but his net effect is of a top4, I believe.

Also, if Tanev leaves, I will miss watching him play. Consummate pro that deserves full respect for his work here. Wish him the best.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
We just cant afford to sign Tanev to a long term deal. He probably has 2 good years left. Probably bought himself out of VAN.
more like 1 year left with the way he plays. body breaking down too much. and he gets crunched so much on the forecheck.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

If it's a choice between signing him for 4 years or finding an alternative I go with the latter every time. 3 years would be my max for him (and that would have to be at a discount). Every year this guy is signed is a gamble - I mean he's a warrior and all and he still would be very useful piece but players in his position make me very nervous. Between Rathbone, OJ, and Rafferty I feel someone there is going to step up and become a top 4 guy. There are other younger options as well. If him and Markstrom walk and we can shed anything we can go get a guy.

If Pitts is gonna offer 5 years then let him go make some money and play with his brother - good on him. And at least if we are gonna have to offer a longer term to someone do it to someone who is 27 (Demelo) then to a well worn 31 year old. These are the types of contracts you want to try to avoid.

Seeing as he hasn't gotten an offer yet he's as good as gone. I think the only guy certain to return is Toffoli (Benning has to save face there - just like Gudbranson (doubling down and re-signing him) he's not gonna let Tofu go). I think Markstrom gets the the same treatment Edler got in negotiations - and we will see how badly he wants to stay here. (Sure he can go get rich somewhere like Detroit but does he really want to leave here to play there? He likes Van........we are soon gonna find out just how much).

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
If Tanev walks...trade for/offer sheet Erik Cernak. Will Benning actually do an offer sheet...I don't think so, but I've been shocked before.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think that barring some blockbuster deal that brings in another d-man, the Canucks seem destined to try and replace Tanev from within the organization.

That means more prominent roles for Juolevi, Rathbone and Rafferty. It's hardly an ideal situation trying to integrate three rookie d-men into the lineup at once. But looking at the list of UFA's on Cap Friendly, there's really nobody who could come in and replace Tanev at a price they could ever afford.

Sadly for the money they're paying Eriksson, Roussel and Sutter they could easily bring in someone like Pietrangelo. But that's only wishful thinking.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Looks like the Flames snatched him up.

Incredible how we've just let so many assets walk away for nothing.

It's almost like our GM is inept and constantly makes the worst of the choices in front of him. :sarcasm:

Best of luck to Tanev. Guy was a warrior for us and fought hard. From being undrafted to being a regular in the NHL, pretty amazing story.

Reactions: I am toxic

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
It's almost like our GM is inept and constantly makes the worst of the choices in front of him. :sarcasm:

Best of luck to Tanev. Guy was a warrior for us and fought hard. From being undrafted to being a regular in the NHL, pretty amazing story.
You would have been the first to complain if we gave him 4 years x 4.5.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
TSN is reporting four years at $18m for Tanev from the Flames...basically $4.25m a season......seems like something the Canucks could have handled, but I guess the term was the sticking point.

With Stecher and Tanev now gone, you'd like to think Benning has some sort of 'Plan B' for the blueline. But I'm just not seeing it. If they knew in advance they'd walking away from both guys, it makes you wonder why they didn't try harder to get Tryamkin under contract.

But seems the owner is probably clamping down on big money contracts with term for guys 30 and older. Too bad he didn't bring the hammer down before Benning went out and signed guys to ugly contracts in seasons gone by.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
You would have been the first to complain if we gave him 4 years x 4.5.

Because you're me, right?

If you have been following my posts, you would have known that I wanted Tanev back. I would have taken him at 4 years and 4.5 without a problem. Do you hazard a guess why we couldn't sign him for that contract? His name starts with a J and its ends with a im.

Losing our premiere defenseman is awful for this team. This guy was literally our rock, matching up against the top lines in the NHL and succeeding while bleeding blue and giving it his all. This motherf***er has NEVER hesitated to block shots for this team, and we cast him aside like a piece of trash to sign real mentors like Ferland, Roussel and Beagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad