Player Discussion Chris Tanev, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He's definitely not the player he was in 14-15, but this team is only 23 goals away from matching the full season total of Willie D's 2nd year, so he'd almost have to try not to put up more points than usual.
A lot of high scoring, close games this season. That stat puts it in perspective of how much this team changed in that span.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He's definitely not the player he was in 14-15, but this team is only 23 goals away from matching the full season total of Willie D's 3rd year, so he'd almost have to try not to put up more points than usual.

Looks like career years for 7 of their top10 scorers, plus excellent to good rates for Hughes, Edler and Gaudette. Quite the context for him to flourish.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Would love him on Leafs if possible.
Let’s hope that he gets to keep playing right where he is, well into May, along with several other Canadian franchises.
718179A3-1258-4CC0-8F8F-85B712D6AF1B.gif

There’s room​

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
So did Tanev start taking testosterone supplements?

I'm totally ok with it and would like to know what type please (for a friend).

muscu0.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tanev is a warrior, and bleeds Canuck blue and green....and it'll be a sad day when he inevitably walks in the off-season. But no amount of salary cap gymnastics is going to keep Tanev, Markstrom and Tofoli on this team going forward.

On a positive note, Craig Button on TSN 1040 saying Brogran Rafferty is a legit 3-4 NHL d-man in his opinion. Loves his game and composure with the puck.

That's Button's opinion, but I understand it's not shared by other posters. But at 24, Rafferty is at the right age cohort for this team as it continues to develop. And with some experience he might be a suitable fill-in over time.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Tanev is a warrior, and bleeds Canuck blue and green....and it'll be a sad day when he inevitably walks in the off-season. But no amount of salary cap gymnastics is going to keep Tanev, Markstrom and Tofoli on this team going forward.

On a positive note, Craig Button on TSN 1040 saying Brogran Rafferty is a legit 3-4 NHL d-man in his opinion. Loves his game and composure with the puck.

That's Button's opinion, but I understand it's not shared by other posters. But at 24, Rafferty is at the right age cohort for this team as it continues to develop. And with some experience he might be a suitable fill-in over time.

You got the link to buttons interview on TSN 1040? I rarely listen to the radio and Vancouver sports media these days.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You got the link to buttons interview on TSN 1040? I rarely listen to the radio and Vancouver sports media these days.
The Button podcast is up on the TSN 1040 site....I believe it's the afternoon show with Don Taylor and Bob Marjonovich...he's also predicting that both Podkolzin and Hoglander will crack the Canucks lineup without any time in Utica.

Lol!....he's more bullish on Canuck prospects than many of the posters on these boards.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The Button podcast is up on the TSN 1040 site....I believe it's the afternoon show with Don Taylor and Bob Marjonovich...he's also predicting that both Podkolzin and Hoglander will crack the Canucks lineup without any time in Utica.

Lol!....he's more bullish on Canuck prospects than many of the posters on these boards.

Lol he said they’re already better than some of the bottom 6 players currently playing on the team. High praise for Rafferty as well.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Report: Penguins likely to pursue Canucks' Tanev if he tests market

"Rutherford isn't opposed to offering the rearguard a five-year contract that would last as long as the pact he agreed to with Tanev's younger brother, Brandon, a team source told Rossi and Yohe."

Well at least that would make our decision about whether or not to re-sign him for us. Zero chance even anyone on this board would think a 5 year contract for him would turn out very well. This is exactly the type of contract we should be avoiding........yet there always seems to be one brainy GM who thinks otherwise.

Thanks for your service Tanev but we just ain't gonna come close to matching that.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Tanev has been one of my favourite players in the NHL for a long time now but looking at it objectively, I doubt he's going to be worth his next contract.
If we didn't have the trifecta of **** contracts (LE, Beagle and Sutter), I'd say, what the ****. Sign him. But with Myers also signed to a long-term deal..if it's a choice between a long-term deal & letting him walk. I'd say let him walk.

Reactions: mossey3535

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Report: Penguins likely to pursue Canucks' Tanev if he tests market

"Rutherford isn't opposed to offering the rearguard a five-year contract that would last as long as the pact he agreed to with Tanev's younger brother, Brandon, a team source told Rossi and Yohe."

Isn't this tampering?

A team can not do this, leak something like this, expressing interest in another teams player while they have negotiation rights, to the press- it changes the negotiation with the Canucks. The Canucks should go to the league with this.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Not shocking given that Pearson, Sutter will be off the books and the Canucks will have openings. Podkozlin will be 20 not 18/19, so more mature. Same with Hoglander who will be in Sweden this season.

Canucks are going to need elc guys once Petey/Hughes get paid.

that's the important aspect to this off-season is to make sure there is enough cap space to sign the cornerstones next season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Rutherford and the Pens are offering Tanev a five-year contract as rumored, than that's one less contract negotiation for Benning to worry about. Not a chance in the world they'd match, and justifiably so. Benn and Edler are into the last years of their contracts, and there's even a chance Benn gets dealt this off-season.

Looking more and more like the Canucks will have to go with two of Juolevi, Rathbone and Rafferty on the blueline next season and live with the results. Scanning the UFA list of d-men, there's really nobody who represents much of an upgrade.

Might have to take a step backward before they can move forward.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
If Rutherford and the Pens are offering Tanev a five-year contract as rumored, than that's one less contract negotiation for Benning to worry about. Not a chance in the world they'd match, and justifiably so. Benn and Edler are into the last years of their contracts, and there's even a chance Benn gets dealt this off-season.

Looking more and more like the Canucks will have to go with two of Juolevi, Rathbone and Rafferty on the blueline next season and live with the results. Scanning the UFA list of d-men, there's really nobody who represents much of an upgrade.

tell that to ownership. If they take a step back next year , The entire front office is gone. Benning knows that

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
5x5 or more for Tanev is a horrible deal. Better off signing Byfuglien to a one year deal and seeing if he can bounce back. I think Tanev has peaked and will start declining pretty rapidly.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
tell that to ownership. If they take a step back next year , The entire front office is gone. Benning knows that

I dont think so, but it would probably force ownership to go get an established president of hockey ops

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

None of these players will be replacing Tanev...If Tanev walks, there will have to be a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad