Player Discussion Chris Tanev, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I have vivid memories.

Kurtenbach. My first Canucks hero (Steve Shutt was my first hockey hero).

Kearns.

Dailey.

Snepsts.

Lindgren.

Lanz . . .

Bubla.

Butcher.

Petit.

Lidster.

Lumme.

Diduck.

Ohlund.

Salo.

Bieksa.

Hamhuis.

Got to know a few.

Tanev belongs on that list. Didn't get to know him, but will never forget him. He was, is, and always will be a Canuck.

Reactions: iceburg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The NHL is a young man's league now. Handing out contracts with term to players over 30 almost never works out in the end. Certainly the Canucks are living proof of that with a bevy for bad contracts for players over 30 who are in serious decline.

So I've resigned myself to idea that breaking the bank to sign either Markstrom or Tanev to long-term contracts would have been a mistake.

The trouble is their prospect d-men are mostly unproven. Which means they'll have to go into the UFA market for another couple of 'stop-gaps'. And Benning's track record of signing UFA d-men is beyond depressing.

Reactions: wetcoast and Peen

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Little disappointed we lost Tanev for what Flames gave him. However, if we manage to grab Pietangelo now with dropping Tanev, Stecher and Toffoli I'll gladly be happy. Seems like Pietrangelo overplayed his hand and not many teams left that can even afford him now.
Unless he takes a big big discount say 2 yrs 6 mill or something.

member 328930

Omfg. They are not getting f***ing Pietrangelo. Gawd.

Benning is talking Juolevi and f***ing Chatfield in his d Corps. They are going to be a joke in their own zone next year. Not that they have ever been great under Benning.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
This one hurts and not because I wanted us to sign that deal.

We only have Edler left of the old guard and that hits different. These transitions are always hard.

Reactions: m9 and Bleach Clean

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
This one hurts and not because I wanted us to sign that deal.

We only have Edler left of the old guard and that hits different. These transitions are always hard.

Feel the exact same way, was a deal we probably couldn’t make, all the best Tanev! Thanks for always giving 100% and thanks for all the memories!

Reactions: Dave Ayers

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
This is so f***ing stupid. Markstrom I can see letting go for what he was asking. 6x6 full NMC? Okay. Thanks for being an MVP, Marky. Enjoy Cowburg. Helps that we have a guy called Thatcher Demko waiting in the wings.

But to lose Tanev? For nothing, to the Flames? For that contract? I'm sorry, if that's what Tanev wanted, I'd have signed him in a second. I mean, jesus. The guy's only the best defensive defenseman the team has by a mile. Someone has to do the heavy lifting back there. The Canucks just made the playoffs for the first time in five years, and now...oh, here's the star goalie and best shutdown dman gone for nothing to a team in the same damn division. Yeah, there's some great planning there. It's like Benning experiences physical pain at the idea of getting value out of a player leaving the team.

Reactions: wetcoast

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
God damn I’m gonna miss him so much. All effort all the time. Of all the “mentors” we acquired, he actually did it every f***ing day. Hughes loves him, everybody did. I can only hope he stays healthy and happy while also losing everytime he plays us. Cheers tan man, thanks for everything

Reactions: Rumsfeld

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Agreed.

Based on our current situation, letting Tanev walk was the right decision.

Yet if you had asked me last offseason whether I'd rather have Tanev for 4 more years or Myers for 6... I take Tanev. Make no mistake, this was between those two guys.

Sad to see him go, he sacrificed himself night in and night out for us and was such a quality defender for us for all those years. Good luck Tanman.

I agree except letting Tanev go this offseason was tougher than last offseason for me. Last offseason, we were looking at Tanev having played 53, 42, and 55 games the previous 3 seasons. It would be reasonable to expect that trend to continue given his style of play and the fact that he isn't getting any younger.

If you put stock in Dom Luszczysyn projected player value model, both Myers (his contract is for 5 not 6 years btw) and Tanev's contracts were poor value signings. His model actually projected Myers to be the better contract.

It sucks seeing Tanev leave. Benning's reported 2 year $4M deal was a bit of an insult but from a Canucks' fan perspective that was the right offer, at least in terms of term.

The reality is that Tanev's ability to stay healthy is still a question mark. Both Dayal and Luszcysyn basically peg Tanev as a #4/#5 Dman for next season and basically a replacement level Dman by the end of his contract. Now I don't believe that but I think it's clear that Tanev has declined from the days when many Canucks fans were suggesting that Tanev should be recognized as one of the best shutdown Dman in the league.

Reactions: sting101 and Peen

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Hey guys, Flames fan coming in peace. Just wanted to know what we're getting in Tanev? I know he's a more defensive guy, but that's about it.
Being a rival fan, you only hear on this stupid website how brittle he is.

Having him on your own team, you love the guy so much you’ll go to hfboards WAR in his honour because he’s such a f***ing great guy for your team.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Meh, nobody is scared of Calgary anyway. Giordano is on his last legs, and Hanifin-Andersson is not an intimidating top pairing. Tweeners upfront, good luck Marky.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Meh, nobody is scared of Calgary anyway. Giordano is on his last legs, and Hanifin-Andersson is not an intimidating top pairing. Tweeners upfront, good luck Marky.

Yep. Their top guys up front haven't proven that they can deliver come playoff time. Giordano is 37. Maybe they will go out and add Taylor Hall.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This is how I see it...
In a vacuum, not signing Tanev for 4x4,5 was the right move. Love Tanev but I would have been ok with 2 years then year to year after that. Would have been great if he stayed a Canuck.

But, even being the right move, I don’t see it as JB being prudent and learning from past mistakes. I see it as being forced into not signing him because of mistakes of the past. It has caught up to him.

Beagle, Ferland, Myers, Roussel, Eriksson equals 21.5M.
If none of these guys were signed Tanev and Markstrom would be Canucks, the team would be better, and they’d have $10M ish in extra cap space.

I would not have signed markstrom for six years or Tanev for four years. But if the choice was between these two contracts and what remains on the books, it’s not even close.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
This is so f***ing stupid. Markstrom I can see letting go for what he was asking. 6x6 full NMC? Okay. Thanks for being an MVP, Marky. Enjoy Cowburg. Helps that we have a guy called Thatcher Demko waiting in the wings.

But to lose Tanev? For nothing, to the Flames? For that contract? I'm sorry, if that's what Tanev wanted, I'd have signed him in a second. I mean, jesus. The guy's only the best defensive defenseman the team has by a mile. Someone has to do the heavy lifting back there. The Canucks just made the playoffs for the first time in five years, and now...oh, here's the star goalie and best shutdown dman gone for nothing to a team in the same damn division. Yeah, there's some great planning there. It's like Benning experiences physical pain at the idea of getting value out of a player leaving the team.

4 years is too much for Tanev on that deal. He's already 31 years old. Every year counts. Canucks core isnt done after just 2 years. You have to play for the long run. What if in 3 years Tanev is heavily declined and we need to re-sign Bo/Brock when their deals are up?

As for going to the flames. Both Marky and Tanev cashed in to the highest bidder. Unfortunately it was the flames. It's their last major contract. There's no hard feelings there.

The team may take a step back next year but it's not the end of the world. The team needs to continue to draft and develop / and not give out terrible contracts.

Reactions: sting101

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I agree except letting Tanev go this offseason was tougher than last offseason for me. Last offseason, we were looking at Tanev having played 53, 42, and 55 games the previous 3 seasons. It would be reasonable to expect that trend to continue given his style of play and the fact that he isn't getting any younger.

If you put stock in Dom Luszczysyn projected player value model, both Myers (his contract is for 5 not 6 years btw) and Tanev's contracts were poor value signings. His model actually projected Myers to be the better contract.

It sucks seeing Tanev leave. Benning's reported 2 year $4M deal was a bit of an insult but from a Canucks' fan perspective that was the right offer, at least in terms of term.

The reality is that Tanev's ability to stay healthy is still a question mark. Both Dayal and Luszcysyn basically peg Tanev as a #4/#5 Dman for next season and basically a replacement level Dman by the end of his contract. Now I don't believe that but I think it's clear that Tanev has declined from the days when many Canucks fans were suggesting that Tanev should be recognized as one of the best shutdown Dman in the league.

My mistake, Myers' contract was 5 years and not 6. I agree however that Tanman has declined (probably to a #4-5 defender now, especially in the last 2 years) and isn't likely to play full seasons going forward, which is why trading him also should've been in the cards a few years back.

Can you post a link to Dom's projection? I'm curious to see how far off the difference between those two contracts would be, even though I also expect a decline from Myers who I see as a #4/5 guy as well.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Tanev was a great defensive defenseman. Now he is a good defensive dman. He is not the player he was. Hughes made up for his decline and more. Hughes will do the same with any competent partner. He made Luke Scheen look good. The main issue with him leaving is team does not have replacement right now, but nhl wise he is replacable hopefully with a younger healthier version of him.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Tanev was a great defensive defenseman. Now he is a good defensive dman. He is not the player he was. Hughes made up for his decline and more. Hughes will do the same with any competent partner. He made Luke Scheen look good. The main issue with him leaving is team does not have replacement right now, but nhl wise he is replacable hopefully with a younger healthier version of him.
This isn’t true. He actually didn’t. Luke Schenn looked bad and they got torched but he face washed a few guys.

Reactions: wetcoast

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
It's going to suck seeing Chris in a Flames jersey. I don't think some of the younger posters really grasp how absolutely despised the Flames were to Canucks fans from '89 through the early 2000s. The animus between our respective fanbases was pretty intense.

I have never cheered for a team to fail or hated another team like I hated the Flames and their redneck, Vancouver-hating fans.

Good luck Chris, try to stay healthy. True Canuck and a true warrior.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

It's really not a debate that Benning's offer was the right one.

Tanev was literally one of the best defensive defenseman in the league for like three or four years.

I don't think I would have been able to name ten guys I'd rather have facing the kind of QOC he was facing when he was ~25-26

His decline has been sharp. He's still a warrior but you have to imagine that him not getting injured much last year was more of a fluke. He wore down a lot by the time we got to the vegas series as well and it showed.

Wouldn't have touched that contract with a ten foot pole. Happy for him. Dom's modeling is pretty impressive.

Myers sucks. He's big and that's it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Within five games Tanev will pull up Lame, and head to LTI. Love how he played for us, but now he’s on a hated team. :fight:

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Just because they signed a bunch of bad contracts before, you want them to continue to sign bad contracts and not improve?

4x4.5m is sketch for Tanev given his history.

HOW is is "sketch" ?

You know the money comes off the books when they're injured right?

This is nothing but idiocy.

Tanev at 4.5 is a steal. The term is fine considering his age. This is a giant step backwards to lose the best defensive defenseman on a team that was just routinely hemmed into their own net relentlessly these last play-offs.

Terrible asset management, terrible cap management, terrible player management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad