Player Discussion Chris Tanev, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Hey guys, Flames fan coming in peace. Just wanted to know what we're getting in Tanev? I know he's a more defensive guy, but that's about it.

Crispy clean with the puck in his own end. Plays well under pressure. Not afraid to take hits or block shots. Can be injury prone, and isn't big on scoring.

Reactions: GAMO1992

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Oh this one hurts. But it was the right decision to let him go. I fear what kind of knee jerk signing we will see Benning do. At the least we should circle back to the durable Stecher.

Was it a decision or were they forced to let him go?

Benning wanted him back and wasn't able to make the numbers work. That he could justify Myers' contract and think Tanev expendable is par for the course.

----------------------------------------

Will miss Tanev. Smart and humble hockey player that was a gift to this organization. Thank you for all of your hard work Tanman.

Sad to see him go.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013

Thank god they got rid of this locker room cancer. The Canucks are better off with character guys like Eriksson, Sutter, Ferland, Beagle, Roussel, and Myers.

:sarcasm:

Just because they signed a bunch of bad contracts before, you want them to continue to sign bad contracts and not improve?

4x4.5m is sketch for Tanev given his history.

• Haha
Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Just because they signed a bunch of bad contracts before, you want them to continue to sign bad contracts and not improve?

No, but any person with half a brain would rather give that kind of contract to Tanev than the names I listed. Also, if you're not going to seriously try to re-sign a player with value then trade them for assets. Don't just let them walk for nothing.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

It is, but if you want to keep your UFAs typically you will have to overpay for term or contract and in some cases both. Nucks need to fill holes on their backend via UFA now which can be difficult with a team that has cap problems.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Definitely sad to see him go..I had hopes that he would re-sign, and retire a Canuck...He did the heavy lifting for the team (there's a lot of mileage on that body), and was a fearless player...

I'm sure most of the Flames fans will come around to appreciate this player.

Reactions: iceburg

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
No, but any person with half a brain would rather give that kind of contract to Tanev than the names I listed. Also, if you're not going to seriously try to re-sign a player with value then trade them for assets. Don't just let them walk for nothing.

Been a bit Nuckles, nice to see you still around bud.

On another note, if you can't stomach Tanev for 4.5 for 4 years but defend Ferland/Beagle/Myers, not sure what to tell ya

Reactions: Nuckles and vanuck

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
This stings 10 (edit: 100) times more than Markstrom.

tanev.0.jpg

Reactions: yvrtojfk

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If you asked me if I would rather have 30 year old Tyler Myers for 6 million or 30 year old Chris Tanev for 4.5 million, I'd take Tanev 10 times out of 10.

The only real issue is health.
Agreed.

Based on our current situation, letting Tanev walk was the right decision.

Yet if you had asked me last offseason whether I'd rather have Tanev for 4 more years or Myers for 6... I take Tanev. Make no mistake, this was between those two guys.

Sad to see him go, he sacrificed himself night in and night out for us and was such a quality defender for us for all those years. Good luck Tanman.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
One of my favourite recent Canuck players. Quietly effective good glue guy with character. Seeing him his first few years anyone could see why he would have problems staying healthy. Always gave up his body to make the play/outlet. Also him getting run at constantly probably didn't help any.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I have said this a lot of times on this board... but all a couple of years back when he was younger.

The Canucks losing this guy are losing a whole bunch. We will now spend the next years searching for a guy on the right side who can do the things he can do, just like so many other teams (Edmonton, Toronto, etc.) have been doing for so many years.

I just don't know how you replace this guys hard minutes or what he can do for a guy like QH.

Very sad and really concerned how our shit defence just got so much worse. Not sure how to fill this hole as a hockey player or how you subtract a human being like that from your room and continue to have the right mix.

Me thinks this is a HUGE loss.

Calgary didn't have the same mix and won't need him as badly. But we have a massive hole now.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE Green Man

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
We just cant afford to sign Tanev to a long term deal. He probably has 2 good years left. Probably bought himself out of VAN.

This. I too love him to pieces but his injury-pronedness will only get worse and this is waaaay too rich a contract for us. Best wishes to him and happy trails...

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Seems like Benning is going from one extreme to another. Signs player after player (someone would say dud after dud) to outrageously long term deals and now won't sign anyone wanting any term at all.

Lack of any overall or long term strategy guiding free agency signings and non-signings seems absolutely evident. Everything just appears so randomly.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
the closes thing to a Chris Tanev right now, is actually Travis Hamonic who is a right handed dman just 1 year younger, stay at home reliable defensive dman, that's pretty much it, other then that, there isn't much out there for right handed shooters. I believe Shattenkirk might have been Benning's plan A.

Myers, just one year older then Chris gets a 5 year deal worth 6 million, Chris Tanev gets an insulting 2 year 4 million what a goof ball Benning is.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
How's his mobility against guys like MacKinnon, McDavid, etc these days?

When healthy, very mobile still. Not healthy often enough over the years but still can keep up with the best. But the injuries and over use in such tough minutes would sometimes catch up with him and make him look laboured for stretches.

I am just so sad that this happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad