Player Discussion Chris Tanev, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
None of these players will be replacing Tanev...If Tanev walks, there will have to be a trade.
I’ve read on HF (and heard that JD Burke guy on 1040) talk about how Stecher’s analytics are better than Tanev’s. Maybe Myers and Stecher can make up Tanev’s minutes, and we don’t lose much?
Myers picks up the PK minutes, and D zone 5 on 5 starts, and Stecher takes the 5 on 5 O zone starts?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Gold Five to Red leader: lost Tryamkin, lost Tanev.
Red Leader: I copy, Gold Leader.

ac68f421-d19b-4c10-a0b2-2963e9d758ea_screenshot.jpg

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
None of these players will be replacing Tanev...If Tanev walks, there will have to be a trade.
like i said in my previous posts before. you do NOT go into next year whenever it starts with the same starting Defense... that is utter stupidity. tanev/stecher gone. and NO the kids aren't even ready unless One or two of them blows the management teams socks off at training camp and exhibition play. vancouver needs pucks movers like a damon severson or whomever to help quinn hughes and the team breakout better. and a younger stay at home defenseman to replace tanev.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Isn't this tampering?

A team can not do this, leak something like this, expressing interest in another teams player while they have negotiation rights, to the press- it changes the negotiation with the Canucks. The Canucks should go to the league with this.

It's not tampering because it didn't directly come from anyone specific from the team. "A team source" is ambiguous enough that there is plausible deniability from the team they could say that "the reporter is making it up we never said that" etc.

If Jim Rutherford came out in an interview and directly said "Yeah we like Chris Tanev and we're going to sign him come free agency." That's tampering.

Leaking things through the media or the media reporting on things they may have heard or expanding on parts of information they've received, not tampering.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's not tampering because it didn't directly come from anyone specific from the team. "A team source" is ambiguous enough that there is plausible deniability from the team they could say that "the reporter is making it up we never said that" etc.

If Jim Rutherford came out in an interview and directly said "Yeah we like Chris Tanev and we're going to sign him come free agency." That's tampering.

Leaking things through the media or the media reporting on things they may have heard or expanding on parts of information they've received, not tampering.
Plus the Pens have Chis’ brother on their team. Pretty sure it’s okay for brothers to discuss options if where to play.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I’ve read on HF (and heard that JD Burke guy on 1040) talk about how Stecher’s analytics are better than Tanev’s. Maybe Myers and Stecher can make up Tanev’s minutes, and we don’t lose much?
Myers picks up the PK minutes, and D zone 5 on 5 starts, and Stecher takes the 5 on 5 O zone starts?

I'd do the opposite. Stecher has the best PK ga/60 on the team for defencemen the last few years, but is bad at generating offence on the PP. For some reason most of Stecher's PK minutes were given to Myers this year, even though he isn't as good as Stecher on the PK.

Both Stecher and Myers have struggles as top shutdown guys for extended stretches in the past. If Tanev leaves, we should bring in someone like Demelo.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I'd do the opposite. Stecher has the best PK ga/60 on the team for defencemen the last few years, but is bad at generating offence on the PP. For some reason most of Stecher's PK minutes were given to Myers this year, even though he isn't as good as Stecher on the PK.

Both Stecher and Myers have struggles as top shutdown guys for extended stretches in the past. If Tanev leaves, we should bring in someone like Demelo.

We have to bring in SOMEONE. Even as someone who advocates for Stetcher and yeah his advanced stats happen to be good, but I don't trust him to be a shutdown defenceman. Yes I know this is eye test but he was propped up in the playoffs by crazy goaltending and the refs actually letting our bottom 3 hook and hold like crazy because STL was doing the same and then because the whistles gradually get put away as rounds go by in the playoffs.

Demelo sounds good on paper, I trust those who have watched him more.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

DeMelo only weighs five more pounds than Troy. Maybe he’s just another Stecher?

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
DeMelo only weighs five more pounds than Troy. Maybe he’s just another Stecher?

Demelo's just the best defensive RHD available through agency that we can afford, and looked decent in a top pairing role in Ottawa. He probably would be more suited for a second pairing role though.

Carlo would be a good target, if he can be acquired for Virtanen+.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Well at least that would make our decision about whether or not to re-sign him for us. Zero chance even anyone on this board would think a 5 year contract for him would turn out very well. This is exactly the type of contract we should be avoiding........yet there always seems to be one brainy GM who thinks otherwise.

Thanks for your service Tanev but we just ain't gonna come close to matching that.

I agree no way Tanev holds up for 5 years.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I've said this many times. Dmen who leave Vancouver tend to drink from the fountain of health upon leaving here. I won't be surprised if Tanev 70+ games over the next 3 seasons.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've said this many times. Dmen who leave Vancouver tend to drink from the fountain of health upon leaving here. I won't be surprised if Tanev 70+ games over the next 3 seasons.
Not sure I'm seeing this. In addition to Ohlund who never could stay healthy after signing a big contract with Tampa, you can add Sopel, Hamhuis, Bieksa and even Jovanovski who spent some years in Phoenix. They never replicated the durability and success they had with the Canucks.

Call it a gut feeling, but I'm not certain that the post-30 Tanev will age well given the punishment he's received over the years and his injury history. And if the Pens are offering a five-year contract as rumored, then good-bye and good luck.

Reactions: Hit the post

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I doubt he holds up for 3. Time to move on from him if some sucker like JR is offering at 5x5. DeMelo, or Severson and Cernak if we want more size are good targets to aim to acquire.
Agreed, and would go further by saying Tanev's health has never stood up here. He missed games every year before this year and was hurt just before stoppage this year. Tanev's money already went to Myers.

Reactions: Luckylarry

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

I beg to differ, but come to the same result.

With the reports are saying Jim Rutherford is willing to give Tanev 5 years, it looks like someone has sent a message he shouldn't be sending.

Otoh, the problem is proving it.

The horrid thing is that it allows a team to tamper. For example, say Rutherford tells some underling to tell some other underling to leak without identification that the Pens are willing to pay Tanev for 5 years. Tanev sees the reports, then gets an offer from the Canucks that is for less term and refuses it because he knows he can do better. Clearly tampering, but almost impossible to prove.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

? Like who?

Most dmen who leave vancouver tend to be marginal players that have difficulty earning minutes with ther new teams even when they are healthy. Sbisa, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Pouliot...

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Tanev has been one of my favourite players in the NHL for a long time now but looking at it objectively, I doubt he's going to be worth his next contract.

Yeah, as much as I love Tanev... letting him walk and signing someone like DeMelo to replace him, as mentioned above, is probably the hard-headed thing to do. DeMelo hasn't been nearly as good as Tanev in the past, and he may not even be as good as Tanev on a per-game basis for the next year or two, but given what their respective contracts are likely to look like and factoring in age and Tanev's injury history... it'd probably be a reasonable swap all things considered.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
This is blatant tampering but unless the journalist gives up his source I don't know that much can be done about it.

Its common practice to do it like this, although I think its probably even more likely to happen while GMs talk with agents about other players, its easy to drop certain options for player B while you are actually discussing things about player A with the agent.

Yet some few GMs are dumb enough to tamper in public and on TV....

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Is Pittsburgh still in the running for Tanev now that they have Matheson? Would give then 6 dmen who make over 3 million. Although I guess they can try to trade someone like Johnson. Even then they would have 5 d over 4 million of Tanev gets 5x5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad