Chris Kreider

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He was our 2nd leading goal scorer in both the regular season and the playoffs, a team that won the Presidents trophy and went to the ECF, so that's probably not completely accurate.

His reputation as a playoff star is a tad hyperbolic. 31 points in 60 games is decent, not great, but it is besides the point.

The point is that someone making millions has no excuse for not skating hard on every shift. If he's not scoring, he should at least be a physical presence. Every 4th game is not good enough.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
His reputation as a playoff star is a tad hyperbolic. 31 points in 60 games is decent, not great, but it is besides the point.

The point is that someone making millions has no excuse for not skating hard on every shift. If he's not scoring, he should at least be a physical presence. Every 4th game is not good enough.

Saying that jumping out of a pool is more of an accomplishment than those performances is more than a little hyperbolic. But yes he needs to be more consistent no question.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

He's not a playoff star but he's been an excellent playoff performer. Since he came up in 2012 he is 1st in playoff goals and 2nd in playoff goals per game, for a team that over a span of 4 years won 8 playoff rounds and went to 3 ECF's and one Stanley Cup Final.

To suggest he's been anything but outstanding in the postseason is ridiculous.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He's not a playoff star but he's been an excellent playoff performer. Since he came up in 2012 he is 1st in playoff goals and 2nd in playoff goals per game, for a team that over a span of 4 years won 8 playoff rounds and went to 3 ECF's and one Stanley Cup Final.

To suggest he's been anything but outstanding in the postseason is ridiculous.
He's not a playoff star.

He's outstanding?

Bottom line remains that anyone satisfied with Kreider's overall on-ice effort has a far different opinion than me.

The funny part is that he will be asking for a lot more money than even his supporters here think he is worth.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
He's not a playoff star.

He's outstanding?

You have to be a star to be outstanding? Here I thought you only had to stand out.

Talbot was outstanding last year. Raanta has been outstanding in his limited time this year. Are they stars now?

Bottom line remains that anyone satisfied with Kreider's overall on-ice effort has a far different opinion than me.

The funny part is that he will be asking for a lot more money than even his supporters here think he is worth.

I've already written (about a dozen posts ago) that I think his consistency problems are related to his on ice effort. So I am not sure who you are disagreeing with, but it isn't me.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
When comparing playoff Kreider to elite playoff performers like Kane, sure, he falls short.

When comparing Playoff Kreider to other Playoff Rangers, that's when he becomes very valuable to this team. Chicago has a team full of playoff performers. This team does not. That makes every good playoff performer on the Rangers extremely valuable for us.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Kreider is an outstanding postseason player, no question. He has a big penchant for coming through in clutch situations, including an OT winner against Boston in 2013, a game tying goal against Montreal with 30 seconds to go in 2014, and saving the season with the game tying goal in Game 5 against Washington.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Surprised to see so many people in agreement that it's motivational.

What you're basically saying is that it comes down to "I dun wanna!". What are the odds of Kreider going into most games unmotivated and having the thought process of not wanting to do his job to the best of his ability - while he is making 2.45/yr - and is in a contract year?

I hate to say it, but I think when he is not able to beat people with his power, he has trouble thinking the game. Stepan is pretty damn good playmaker, and even he is not able to help Kreider snag goals at this point.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

What you're basically saying is that it comes down to "I dun wanna!". What are the odds of Kreider going into most games unmotivated and having the thought process of not wanting to do his job to the best of his ability - while he is making 2.45/yr - and is in a contract year?

I hate to say it, but I think when he is not able to beat people with his power, he has trouble thinking the game. Stepan is pretty damn good playmaker, and even he is not able to help Kreider snag goals at this point.
His lack of production may or may not be about effort, but his disappearing for games at a time is all about lack of effort.

I know he has a rep here as being a great playoff performer. He is good in the playoffs but I remember him making two huge mental errors that led directly to goals against in last year's playoffs. One was particularly awful. He lost a battle along the boards in his defensive zone and then gave up on the play.

I like Kreider, but his skills are far better than his results.

Torts used to bench him when he disappeared. Wish Alain would try the same.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

There is a difference between insufficient motivation to perform your very best and no motivation, or "I don't wanna," as you call it. To say that Kreider is completely unmotivated would be to lie, IMO. I don't think his current motivation is as high as it is in the playoffs. Maybe not even as high as it was last season on average. But I don't think he's completely disengaged and uninterested.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
His lack of production may or may not be about effort, but his disappearing for games at a time is all about lack of effort.

I know he has a rep here as being a great playoff performer. He is good in the playoffs but I remember him making two huge mental errors that led directly to goals against in last year's playoffs. One was particularly awful. He lost a battle along the boards in his defensive zone and then gave up on the play.

I like Kreider, but his skills are far better than his results.

Torts used to bench him when he disappeared. Wish Alain would try the same.

In my opinion, mental errors point to issues with thinking the game or processing what is happening on the ice. Like you said, it's an error. Lack of motivation is not an error.

It sounds like you are saying he needs to think harder. Some people are more limited in that area than others. Thinking harder doesn't make everyone a genius.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Maybe if he threw a check on every 2nd shift he would get into the game more....there are so many things he could do when he does not have the puck....but it would involve physical altercation with somebody other than a goalie .

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Kreider is definitely one of those players that has been very frustrating to watch during a game because of the sheer inconsistency of his play. There are flashes of we he can do but far too many stretches of him getting on the ice and circling around just waiting instead of initiating.
Im not a fan of when players are compared to one another and I've heard the comparison before but I'm hoping Krieder becomes something more than a fast Milan Lucic. He definitely has what it takes both physically and mentally.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Maybe if he threw a check on every 2nd shift he would get into the game more....there are so many things he could do when he does not have the puck....but it would involve physical altercation with somebody other than a goalie .

This is it. Kreider has the ability to impact the game in many ways even if he's not scoring. The problem is he doesn't. If he's not scoring he adds very little and that for me is the problem.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Needs to be sat. His play this season has been embarrassing. Guys that big shouldn't be Casper the ghost. You noticed him maybe three-four times last night when he gets what 20+shifts?

Vickers8

1g 1a last night, hopefully this jumpstarts him, gotta bring it every night Kreids

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
Kreids and nash off to slow starts but not worried about either one as they'll get going shortly. Were winning with our depth, defense and hank anyway with a much improved 3rd and 4th line without glass(what a shock)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Yep. Kreider wishes he was a finesse player. He needs to realize that he's not.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
He needs to play more minutes IMO, teams top wingers seem to play about 18 minutes a night give or take. Kreider averages about 16 and some nights he is under 15. This pretty much means his ice time is equal when you talk about rolling 4 lines that is about 15 minutes per line.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It didn't matter how many minutes Hagelin or Callahan had, what minutes they did have they'd go all out all shift, every shift while being responsible and positionally sound. Kreider simply doesn't do that. He can do anything Callahan ever did and more. Frankly I think it's both that he doesn't think well enough to put himself in position to do it AND he's simply not putting forth the effort.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
He needs to play more minutes IMO, teams top wingers seem to play about 18 minutes a night give or take. Kreider averages about 16 and some nights he is under 15. This pretty much means his ice time is equal when you talk about rolling 4 lines that is about 15 minutes per line.

What has he done to earn more minutes? Who are we taking minutes from to give him more? Lindberg? Stalberg? Brass? Zucc? Hayes? If anything, the majority of this team has earned more minutes while he is one of the few to earn less.

Miller hasn't been great, but at least he's often noticeable and shows effort of every shift.

Kreider got a gift of a goal last night and I as much as anyone else hopes this kickstarts him, but a goal like that certainly doesn't get him more ice time, at least in my eyes.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It didn't matter how many minutes Hagelin or Callahan had, what minutes they did have they'd go all out all shift, every shift while being responsible and positionally sound. Kreider simply doesn't do that. He can do anything Callahan ever did and more. Frankly I think it's both that he doesn't think well enough to put himself in position to do it AND he's simply not putting forth the effort.

I think this is a bit unfair, and I have been hard on Kreider.

Hagelin is an elite endurance athlete. If he wasn't playing hockey I have no doubt he would be in the Olympics for the Biathlon or something. Comparing anyone's motor to Hagelin is unrealistic.

Callahan similarly just had/an elite motor. Not many players have this...it's honestly the only elite talent Cally possesses.

Kreider clearly is not that style of player...he has NEVER been a high motor guy, even in HS/college. To expect him to develop that is completely unrealistic. He needs to be more engaged than he has been. He needs to stop overthinking every stride. But his success or lack thereof was never going to be predicated on developing into an all-out effort type of player.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I think this is a bit unfair, and I have been hard on Kreider.

Hagelin is an elite endurance athlete. If he wasn't playing hockey I have no doubt he would be in the Olympics for the Biathlon or something. Comparing anyone's motor to Hagelin is unrealistic.

Callahan similarly just had/an elite motor. Not many players have this...it's honestly the only elite talent Cally possesses.

Kreider clearly is not that style of player...he has NEVER been a high motor guy, even in HS/college. To expect him to develop that is completely unrealistic. He needs to be more engaged than he has been. He needs to stop overthinking every stride. But his success or lack thereof was never going to be predicated on developing into an all-out effort type of player.

Who on the Rangers, besides Kreider, do you believe isn't an all-out effort type of player? I'm just curious (the question sounds negative, but I promise it's not, nor is it a shot at you).

I'm just of the belief that since Torts changed this organization the team has focused on dumping players who do not give 100% effort game in, game out, shift in, shift out. I really can't think of anyone else on the team that seems to glide like Kreider. Hayes, Miller, Brassard, they all have lapses, but I never blame it on effort. Kreider I strictly think it's effort based half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA