Chris Kreider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't think it's about effort it's about comfort level and reading the play and all of that. Kreider stands around and watches too much when he's not playing instinctively and just playing a straightforward game. I don't think it's really a "I don't want to skate or do that" kind of thing.

I think he just needs to play that simple north/south game and things will come for him. Honestly, just play more like Stalberg. Use his speed to push back the other team and go to the net. Don't worry about play making, don't worry about slowing things down for his teammates, just work the boards hard and use his skating up the wings. He's more talented than Stalberg so the points will come playing that way. I think he started doing that some more in recent games. Crash the net, take the puck to the net, whatever.

Keep it simple

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I don't think it's about effort it's about comfort level and reading the play and all of that. Kreider stands around and watches too much when he's not playing instinctively and just playing a straightforward game. I don't think it's really a "I don't want to skate or do that" kind of thing.

I think he just needs to play that simple north/south game and things will come for him. Honestly, just play more like Stalberg. Use his speed to push back the other team and go to the net. Don't worry about play making, don't worry about slowing things down for his teammates, just work the boards hard and use his skating up the wings. He's more talented than Stalberg so the points will come playing that way. I think he started doing that some more in recent games. Crash the net, take the puck to the net, whatever.

Keep it simple

I also believe that teams are cheating on the long pass off the boards that we've seen in the past. This has cut off the extra step he gets, and has forced him to go inside, negating his home run threat.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I also believe that teams are cheating on the long pass off the boards that we've seen in the past. This has cut off the extra step he gets, and has forced him to go inside, negating his home run threat.

Oh definitely. In general teams seem to be playing the Rangers quite conservatively through the neutral zone, not a lot of trying to force neutral zone turnovers against them but closing the gap just around the offensive blueline. Kreider's not getting a ton of open ice.

That said, I think he still just needs to use his speed. Just go hard and fast at the defenseman and chip it deep when you have speed but not a clear path. Again, I think you can see Stalberg do that and it often results in a successful play where he pushes the D back a bit and is able to get in and start the forecheck or cycle because he has kept up that speed.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Shouldn't that open up room elsewhere?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I think this is a bit unfair, and I have been hard on Kreider.

Hagelin is an elite endurance athlete. If he wasn't playing hockey I have no doubt he would be in the Olympics for the Biathlon or something. Comparing anyone's motor to Hagelin is unrealistic.

Callahan similarly just had/an elite motor. Not many players have this...it's honestly the only elite talent Cally possesses.

Kreider clearly is not that style of player...he has NEVER been a high motor guy, even in HS/college. To expect him to develop that is completely unrealistic. He needs to be more engaged than he has been. He needs to stop overthinking every stride. But his success or lack thereof was never going to be predicated on developing into an all-out effort type of player.

I get what you're saying. I was just trying to highlight that he is getting way less out of more talent. He doesn't have to have the same motor as those two for the reasons u stated but he certainly should have a much better one than what he's shown

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Kreider was at the right to play event last night.

He's very smart, very articulate. He's a good young man. A true gentlemen. He may have a low hockey IQ but he certainly is no dummy.

He's definitely not in the mold of the kind of player who will hurt a guy to win. He doesn't have that in him and I think that perception of him really affected him... Perhaps to the point where he's playing like a pacifist.

You just wish he had a little more spunk in him like a Brandon Prust or Dubinsky.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Shouldn't that open up room elsewhere?

It should make it easier for the Rangers to break out with control when they get the puck in their defensive end if the opposing teams D aren't being as aggressive trying to hold the puck in for worry of getting burned

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Kreider looks like he doesn't want the puck. Lots of floating and fly bys, looking to make the easy play, reaching for the puck.

Kid needs to put his shoulder into someone, when he has the puck on his stick bull his way to the front of the net.

Looking like Marcel Hossa out there right now.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He needs to watch zuccarello, who is amongst the toughest and most engaged players on the team. Then he needs to realize how much bigger and stronger he is than Zucc. Then he needs to get embarassed about that and get his head out of his ass

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I thought he's been better the past few games. He looked a lot more engaged last night.

Vickers8

Proud of Chris sticking up for Steps, punched out Smith. Another reason why Mcilrath should be playing instead of Boyle

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Proud of Chris sticking up for Steps, punched out Smith. Another reason why Mcilrath should be playing instead of Boyle

I get what you're saying, but Mcilrath would have been on the bench most likely. Kreider is exactly the player that should be on the ice in that event. Klein too.

True strength comes from overall team toughness, one guy doesn't cut it, especially when that guy plays so few minutes.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Scored a goal, beat the crap out of someone and prevented a possibly goal against with that intense backcheck in OT. Great game by him today, but these are often far in between.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Loved seeing him fill Smith's face in. He actually fought with anger instead of just wrestling. He was legit mad.

Big game for sure.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
He's an untouchable in my book. He's the reason I came to (somewhat) accept Dubinsky being gone.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Some people are saying give Yandle whatever he wants to stay. I think the player that we should give whatever he wants is Kreider. Thats not to say they need to be competing for contracts with each other and Kreider should get the money that Yandle is probably going to get, but Kreider is the player that I don't think we can afford to lose.

Even if he's just a 25+25=50 player, he's one of the best in the NHL at the PWF role. Thats a valuable role to have on your team, especially for a team like ours that is missing a lot of the grit from our forwards that some of the better teams in the NHL have.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kreider needs to be kept. The combination of size, speed and aggression does not have many in the sample size. Add to that his age and you get a player that needs to be kept.

Oh, and from my "Neanderthal" pov, it was great to see him put on his big boy pants and stand up for his teammate. Not anywhere near the magnitude, but reminded me of Orr taking on Fedoruk or Callahan dropping his gloves in defense of McD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad