Chris Kreider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy*

Just one problem...in the next game he's probably back to his invisible mode. He's really an on or off guy.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kreider needs to be kept. The combination of size, speed and aggression does not have many in the sample size. Add to that his age and you get a player that needs to be kept.

Oh, and from my "Neanderthal" pov, it was great to see him put on his big boy pants and stand up for his teammate. Not anywhere near the magnitude, but reminded me of Orr taking on Fedoruk or Callahan dropping his gloves in defense of McD.

Was Orr-Fedoruk where Feds got knocked unconscious?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I keep hoping THIS is the time he finally figures out how to be consistent...

That line as a whole has played better the past few games. There's a lot to be said for chemistry. The st and 3rd lines have it, and 2nd line is getting it back.

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
That line as a whole has played better the past few games. There's a lot to be said for chemistry. The st and 3rd lines have it, and 2nd line is getting it back.

Miller plays the best with step and kreids and I wish he would leave those 3 alone

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Great game by him, fight aside. But the fight was awesome too, he wrecked smith and barely took anything himself. Don't want him doing it often but times like that are when it's useful.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Great game by him, fight aside. But the fight was awesome too, he wrecked smith and barely took anything himself. Don't want him doing it often but times like that are when it's useful.

Agreed....still a joy to watch. A proper thrashing. Well deserved. Job well done.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Glad he took care of it but why aren't they even looking to suspend Smith?? He only gets a 2 minute penalty? The one hit the league doesn't want and nothing's done about it again..

Vickers8

Glad he took care of it but why aren't they even looking to suspend Smith?? He only gets a 2 minute penalty? The one hit the league doesn't want and nothing's done about it again..

4 blind mice refereeing...what a joke...we still have the least amount of PP's in the NHL

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Zipay was on WFAN around 4:30 AM this morning. It's rare to have a guest talking Rangers hockey on the FAN, lol. Zippy was still in Tampa covering the Rangers. It was great.

When asked about Kreider, Zippy pointed to 3 things:

- He needs to play smarter (my question is "Can he?")

- He needs to see the ice better (once again, my question is "Can he?)

- He needs to slow down, or at least stop and look around every now & then, instead of being in 5th gear at all times.

I thought the first 2 points were obvious and most of us realize Kreider's shortcomings in that regard.

But his 3rd point is something I didn't consider. It's easy to get excited with his dynamic speed and power moves to the net, but maybe we don't consider that slowing down a bit (not all the time, but as needed) can make him a more effective, thoughtful hockey player. We need Kreider to be more than Emerson Etem. Stepan needs Kredier to be more than Emerson Etem.

Maybe Kreider needs to turn off the out-of-control turbo boost, tone it down, and learn how to handle the puck a bit. Maybe actually deek a goalie or make an intelligent pass. Sounds better to me than a shot at the logo or a reckless rush towards the goalie.

Is his (and our) obsession with speed/power hurting him at this point? Will slowing his game down at times magically make him an intelligent hockey player? Will he be able to use the extra time wisely?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
When Kreider was playing like garbage in 2013 when he first got here, he went a million miles an hour every shift, he never slowed down to observe the game around him and he outpaced his own brain. I don't see him playing like that lately.

But he really does need to "see the ice" better because he's getting way too predictable offensively.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For Kreider to effectively use his speed as a weapon he needs help from his teammates. We haven't seen very much this year of him finding soft spots in the middle or Stepan throwing passes up the boards for Chris to skate into and then break around defenders. Even when plays like that don't turn into goals they can drive defenses back and create anxiety for the rest of the night.

Kreider can find other ways to score than the quick strike though. There are times that he just doesn't seem to have it going. He's got a good shot and he's good at deflecting shots and he's good at getting to the net and getting dirty goals---at least when he wants to.

I think losing Hagelin hurts the Rangers as well. There were games when between Chris one shift and Carl the next the game turned into a track meet. Now defenses can key more in just trying to negate Kreider.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
its much harder for him this season. you have to remember teams looked at the roster last year and saw Marty and Nash so im sure the plays used by the other teams defense might of left Kreids open more last year then this year. but also the secrets out. those stretch outlet passes off the boards and along the wall of his wing arent happening nearly as much teams realized that and shut it down.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
His game is garbage right now.

I... I don't know if I'd agree with this at all.

Why do you say this? Because he's missed two penalty shots? You know what you have to do to get a penalty shot in the first place?

Before I can really retort to this post, I'm hoping you could elaborate a bit.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

No, but it's not like he's stonehanded either. We've seen him undress defenders this year. Hjalmarsson the most noticeable memorable.

But, he is a god awful finisher. He gets a break/partial break at least 1-2 times per game. Almost Michael Grabner level of finishing.

He's very predictable and usually telegraphs his shot location. He doesn't move the puck around his body to give the goalie something to think about and isn't a threat to deke/dangle. Luongo knew Kreider was going low blocker before he shot.

Give this guy Zuccarello's hands and he's a 40 goal scorer.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

No, but it's not like he's stonehanded either. We've seen him undress defenders this year. Hjalmarsson the most noticeable memorable.

But, he is a god awful finisher. He gets a break/partial break at least 1-2 times per game. Almost Michael Grabner level of finishing.

He's very predictable and usually telegraphs his shot location. He doesn't move the puck around his body to give the goalie something to think about and isn't a threat to deke/dangle. Luongo knew Kreider was going low blocker before he shot.

i think kreider would win the rocket with zuccs hands and creativity around the net lol. kreider really does need to have more of a variety of moves around the goal. i dont think he has a bad shot or bad hands but he is very predictable. he almost always goes stick side trying to get it just over the goalies pad. nhl goalies know this and will save it most of the time even if kreider gets off a good shot.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
i think kreider would win the rocket with zuccs hands and creativity around the net lol. kreider really does need to have more of a variety of moves around the goal. i dont think he has a bad shot or bad hands but he is very predictable. he almost always goes stick side trying to get it just over the goalies pad. nhl goalies know this and will save it most of the time even if kreider gets off a good shot.

all he needs is dat backhand-forehand move from Zucc's repertoire. He's destroyed so many goalies with that including Luongo last night. Almost automatic for him. If only Kreider has dem hands...

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

We could probably donate any part of Zuuc (minus his frame :P), and improve the recipient player.

Hell, you could insert Zuuc's hockey sense into Tanner Glass and Tanner'd be NHL ready...maybe even fill in on the 3rd line from time to time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln