Injury Report: Chris Kelly Out 6-8 Months w/Left Femur Fracture

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Anyone got any new info on Kelly?

Now....also I want to ask opinions here. With Kelly coming off a severe leg injury, I don't really think many teams are going to be jumping at the bit to take him, but I can definitely see him taking a big pay cut to stay in Boston even if its on a 1/2 year deal. Would anyone take Kelly at 1million per season? Whether it be 1 or 2 years? He'd still be one of the best 4 line centres in the game without a doubt (if his leg hasn't completely been munted)

Really missing Cage.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

Now....also I want to ask opinions here. With Kelly coming off a severe leg injury, I don't really think many teams are going to be jumping at the bit to take him, but I can definitely see him taking a big pay cut to stay in Boston even if its on a 1/2 year deal. Would anyone take Kelly at 1million per season? Whether it be 1 or 2 years? He'd still be one of the best 4 line centres in the game without a doubt (if his leg hasn't completely been munted)

Really missing Cage.

He most likely won't be the same, just like Stamkos but worse. He would still be Clode's binky and will probably look like a Greg Campbell reincarnation out there. Sorry CK23!

And to answer your question Ash, I don't think anyone here would know if they would resign Kelly. His contract is up at this season's end so we won't get to see how he plays coming off his injury, I wouldn't take the chance, and I don't think he would take 1m/yr contract since another team will probably give him at least 1.5-1.75.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Really missing Cage.

If he wants to take a ~1 year/1m contract here I'd do it in a heartbeat... But breaking your femur is not good. I highly doubt he'll ever be even remotely effective ever again.

That being said, if he doesn't get an offer, I'd like them to invite him to training camp and see what he can do. If it doesn't work, both sides understand, give him a job within the organization if you want... But he is an important leader and player on this team, very well-liked and I bet the players miss him like hell, too.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
He's a big gamble. The last two years, I haven't been that impressed with Kelly on the ice, but he hasn't been my whipping boy, either. If you put Kelly of 2011 on this team, he may even solve a few problems the team has. But if you put a healthy version of Kelly 2015 on this team, then...well...not sure. He still won't be the biggest problem on the team by a longshot. (Aye tee seks.) But I'd worry a little bit about something crazy like "Kelly as the sixth attacker in the last minute" happening; it's not without precedent.

As far as off-the-ice stuff, I get the impression that he's REALLY well-liked by the team. That would be a big plus, especially for some other teams who have "locker room issues". But I also get the impression that the team has done fine the past 3 or so months in term of morale even without his active participation. Then again, this is all hearsay and conjecture.

Kelly's my tofu. I'd never order it on purpose, but if it's there and I'm hungry, I'm not going to go out of my way to avoid it. But I absolutely wouldn't want to sign Kelly for more than a year, and wouldn't go a dime over $1.25M - and that's generous.

That said, I absolutely hate the way he went out. It's not the way a 2011 Stanley Cup Champion should leave the Garden - even if he bravely avoided going out on stretcher. It'd be great to start 2016-7 with a cheaply-signed Kelly.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
He's a big gamble. The last two years, I haven't been that impressed with Kelly on the ice, but he hasn't been my whipping boy, either. If you put Kelly of 2011 on this team, he may even solve a few problems the team has. But if you put a healthy version of Kelly 2015 on this team, then...well...not sure. He still won't be the biggest problem on the team by a longshot. (Aye tee seks.) But I'd worry a little bit about something crazy like "Kelly as the sixth attacker in the last minute" happening; it's not without precedent.

As far as off-the-ice stuff, I get the impression that he's REALLY well-liked by the team. That would be a big plus, especially for some other teams who have "locker room issues". But I also get the impression that the team has done fine the past 3 or so months in term of morale even without his active participation. Then again, this is all hearsay and conjecture.

Kelly's my tofu. I'd never order it on purpose, but if it's there and I'm hungry, I'm not going to go out of my way to avoid it. But I absolutely wouldn't want to sign Kelly for more than a year, and wouldn't go a dime over $1.25M - and that's generous.

That said, I absolutely hate the way he went out. It's not the way a 2011 Stanley Cup Champion should leave the Garden - even if he bravely avoided going out on stretcher. It'd be great to start 2016-7 with a cheaply-signed Kelly.

No offense to Kelly. But it's time to move on. Probably far later than most wanted to.

He was a goddamn warrior for us. But his time has come. He's not what he was 5 years ago. And even as a vet, he's coming back from a significant injury. It's time to move on. It's bad enough he unfortunately got a lot of negativity due to his salary and the players we lost because our last GM mismanaged the salary cap.

Thank him for 2011, and let's all move on. Unless he wants a job in the front office or as a scout, I think Chris Kelly should be done here. We should be focusing on now and the future. Not 5 years ago.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was and am a big Kelly supporter, never thought he deserved a quarter of the bashing he took from fans here. That said, there is absolutely no reason to offer him a deal in the summer

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I was and am a big Kelly supporter, never thought he deserved a quarter of the bashing he took from fans here. That said, there is absolutely no reason to offer him a deal in the summer

If no one else offers him anything, I'd at least invite him to camp to see if he's still capable. At league minimum for one year there's not really much to lose... But I doubt he'll ever be able to play at the NHL level again. In all likelihood he's done here, too bad he has to go out this way.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I'd take a healthy and 100% healed Kelly at a vet minimum over Talbot or Kemp. But whether he'll be healthy and 100% healed is a "Yuge" question mark.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It would be a miracle if he played again this season but to be back on the ice 5 months later is great news

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad