Injury Report: Chris Kelly Out 6-8 Months w/Left Femur Fracture

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
My legitimate fear is Julien getting him back and replacing Spooner with Kelly on the third line. Go on and tell me that doesn't scare you in the darkest parts of your mind.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
My legitimate fear is Julien getting him back and replacing Spooner with Kelly on the third line. Go on and tell me that doesn't scare you in the darkest parts of your mind.

I don't see any basis for that, especially with how he has played

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
He won't. If and it is a big if, he'll center the 4th line.

Judging by the video, his skating looked fluid and he was moving at a good pace for day 1.

Not a popular opinion but I think he's back for 1 more season at under $1.5 mil which would be structured like Thornton's new deal in Florida.

Once he's done, I can see him staying with the Bruins in a coaching/player development role.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts

QONVIyz.gif

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I'm glad for him. It must feel good to get out on the ice again.

I'm glad for him too, great guy BUT,
I'm hoping that we can move on from him since he's part of the logjam on this team.

Yeah it does. He's Claude's crutch and it would be too easy for Julien to put him out in every situation (such as when they pull the goalie and need a sniper in there).
Furthermore I'd love to see him either behind the Bruins bench as an assistant coach, or in Providence guiding them or in the Boston front office.
I think that he'd be a little foolish (IMHO) to getting back out there on a full time basis. If he were 5-6 years younger I could accept him trying to come back but that was a nasty break and at this point I'd feel better (for him) to see him in a management capacity.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I have a really hard time envisioning the Bruins putting Kelly back in during the playoffs. He's probably got at least 8 weeks left, and maybe more. That puts him what, in the second round or the ECF?

If everything were shifted back 3 or 4 weeks, so that he's ready right at the start of the first round, I could see the Bruins putting him in to dip his toe in the water and see if he's ready for the rest of the playoffs. But by the second round, and DEFINITELY by the ECF (where we'd play Washington 8.5 times out of 10), the risk/reward just isn't there. I'd gladly open up a pitchfork and torch store if they did put him in sometime in May.

That said, I definitely would love to see him stick around the Bruins organization in some manner - I also could see him as a coach of some sort.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Its great stuff if hes skating on the ice at practice and aroudn the team.

But honestly I PRAY he never plays in a game this year. He'd be a poor mans Kempainen if he did at this point.

But only good things can come if hes skating in practice and around the guys hes a leader and good influence. Please don't dress him though Claude respect the other professionals who are much better at this point.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Replace Acciari or Kemp with Kelly on the 4th line and that's a pretty nice upgrade honestly

That remains to be seen depending on how this injury affected him. I think there is a good possibility that this injury at age 35, he will not recover 100% and will not useful.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
IF Kelly somehow returns, I can think of worse things to have as an option come playoff time

That said, as much as I`ve been a Kelly backer, don`t want him re-signed in the summer

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
IF Kelly somehow returns, I can think of worse things to have as an option come playoff time

That said, as much as I`ve been a Kelly backer, don`t want him re-signed in the summer
I dont mind him at 1M as a 4th liner or something like that. But at his age, we'll see how he recovers from this injury.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013

Only Clode would try to pull off a maneuver like that, oh wait....

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I wouldn't worry about Kelly. He has ways to go before getting real ice time.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Replace Acciari or Kemp with Kelly on the 4th line and that's a pretty nice upgrade honestly

No, its not.

Do you remember how horrible Campbell was for 2 years after breaking his leg?

Look where Columbus and John Davidson are for putting NHL politics first before hockey and giving Greg a 2 year deal.

Kelly will be contributing plenty as a practice player leave him as such he hasn't been good since 2012 before his current contract.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
That remains to be seen depending on how this injury affected him. I think there is a good possibility that this injury at age 35, he will not recover 100% and will not useful.

Jesus Christ I'm almost 35. Kelly still has his prime years ahead of him... right guys?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My issue with Kelly was his contract. That's gone now.

If he can get healthy and if he's willing to stay on a 1 year < $ 1 million deal, I give strong consideration to re-signing him.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Jesus Christ I'm almost 35. Kelly still has his prime years ahead of him... right guys?

Depends on your vocation, if it is hockey. I'm 38 and I find myself writing off players who are my age as old and over the hill. Scary stuff.

And I'll do it again with Kelly, good guy for sure but chances are he is cooked now. No chance he supplants Spooner. Let another team sign him next year and wish him well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad