Injury Report: Chris Kelly Out 6-8 Months w/Left Femur Fracture

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
LOL...chill out.

The Kelly contract is and was a bad contract, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have some sympathy for a guy who might have had his career ended so abruptly. Doesn't matter how much money you've got, and how good looking your wife is, you're still a human with pride and human emotions.

Sure but just like "leadership" this has nothing to do with his play on the ice, which is what most people care about in the end.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Sure but just like "leadership" this has nothing to do with his play on the ice, which is what most people care about in the end.

I'm pretty sure leadership has a lot to do with play on the ice. That might be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen written on this board, but that's really here nor there.

As I said, I was never a fan of the Kelly contract, and have thought Claude's overvaluing of him in first and second line situations over the years (he's been the go-to CONSTANTLY in every instance of adversity) has not been to the team's benefit. Doesn't change the fact that he's pretty obviously a very good fourth line option as well as penalty killer (which we're already struggling with mightily). Yeah, yeah, $3 million, but classifying him as this "completely useless" hockey player is equally as absurd to Claude's (and Andy Brickley's) insistence that he's a top line option.

Hopefully, they can bring in someone of similar role at a good price. No, I'm not ******** my pants with concern (hard to do given the overall expectation this season), but there's certainly a hole, even if it turns out to be a very small one based mostly on locker room presence.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I'm pretty sure leadership has a lot to do with play on the ice. That might be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen written on this board, but that's really here nor there.

As I said, I was never a fan of the Kelly contract, and have thought Claude's overvaluing of him in first and second line situations over the years (he's been the go-to CONSTANTLY in every instance of adversity) has not been to the team's benefit. Doesn't change the fact that he's pretty obviously a very good fourth line option as well as penalty killer (which we're already struggling with mightily). Yeah, yeah, $3 million, but classifying him as this "completely useless" hockey player is equally as absurd to Claude's (and Andy Brickley's) insistence that he's a top line option.

Hopefully, they can bring in someone of similar role at a good price. No, I'm not ******** my pants with concern (hard to do given the overall expectation this season), but there's certainly a hole, even if it turns out to be a very small one based mostly on locker room presence.

Contract aside, Kelly is a very good 4th liner & PKer. But let's not pretend his injury will ruin the Bruins chances at a playoff run. This isn't Bergeron. It's Chris Kelly, the team will survive

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He was born to coach.
He's been the link from the staff to the players now for years.

yes....to me he would be an outstanding assitant coach, top lieutenant

what really stinks was THIS year more than last couple he made 100% sense

no cap issues

young players he could help on and off the ice

no vets like Campbell or Paille around so he would be more valuable

what a bummer- thought sitting at game 'can he get back by March from an ACL' not realizing it was much worse

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
what a bummer- thought sitting at game 'can he get back by March from an ACL' not realizing it was much worse

Honestly, I think an argument can be made he's better off with a bone break rather than an ACL reconstruction. Once the atrophy has been addressed following the healing process the player is usually good to go. ACL repairs, on the other hand, appear to take longer to recover from. The players may or may not suffer from as much atrophy, but being cleared to play is not the same thing as being ready to play. All too often we see players come back from ACL reconstruction and they require almost a year to get back to form. I think a lot of it is mental, too. Trusting your knee not to buckle is hard trust to come by and takes a lot of time. Players rarely suffer from the same trust issues with a healed bone.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
yes....to me he would be an outstanding assitant coach, top lieutenant

what really stinks was THIS year more than last couple he made 100% sense

no cap issues

young players he could help on and off the ice

no vets like Campbell or Paille around so he would be more valuable

Good point about him making sense this year. The lockout year was a rough one for him and after that the 4th line was completely in his way making him a square peg in a round hole.

The 2011 and 2012 versions of this guy was "THE PERFECT" 3rd liner. Elite defense plenty of grit elite speed yet 30 years old and a Vet with 500+ NHL games experience able to chip in 20 goals. But we never got any of that on his current contract sadly.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Contract aside, Kelly is a very good 4th liner & PKer. But let's not pretend his injury will ruin the Bruins chances at a playoff run. This isn't Bergeron. It's Chris Kelly, the team will survive

Yes, Chris Kelly is not a top line guy, but let's not pretend that we have a single guy in our system we can simply plug in to his spot who can give us the high (could argue elite) level of defensive play Kelly gave us. We're going to feel his loss more acutely than I think you're expecting, even if it's not going to be like missing Bergeron or Krejci.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Good point about him making sense this year. The lockout year was a rough one for him and after that the 4th line was completely in his way making him a square peg in a round hole.

The 2011 and 2012 versions of this guy was "THE PERFECT" 3rd liner. Elite defense plenty of grit elite speed yet 30 years old and a Vet with 500+ NHL games experience able to chip in 20 goals. But we never got any of that on his current contract sadly.

We still got the defense, the grit and (mostly) the speed. We just didn't get any of the offense, which is all a lot of posters seem to care about. (not saying you)

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Yes, Chris Kelly is not a top line guy, but let's not pretend that we have a single guy in our system we can simply plug in to his spot who can give us the high (could argue elite) level of defensive play Kelly gave us. We're going to feel his loss more acutely than I think you're expecting, even if it's not going to be like missing Bergeron or Krejci.

A team with Bergeron Eriksson Marchand Krejci (all excellent defensively) can handle the loss of Kelly. It would be great having him on the 4th line healthy for sure, but this team has depth & can surely plug that hole with a guy who can chip in some offensively. My point is Chris Kelly injury should not be an excuse not to make playoffs.

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
Lets be serious. The injury sucks. Its a tough way to go out and his career is probably in jeopardy.

From a business side though, he will go on LTIR which will allow us to exceed the cap by 3mill. We can sure use that for another good defender which we need.

Kelly was a good fourth liner, but he's replicable. Especially at his price. I know he killed a lot of penalties but lets face it, our PK is garbage right now.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle

Honestly, I think an argument can be made he's better off with a bone break rather than an ACL reconstruction.

Broken bones are (typically) nowhere near as tough to bounce back from than soft tissue damage.

Torn ligaments etc... take far longer to rehab/heal properly and sometimes never do.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We still got the defense, the grit and (mostly) the speed. We just didn't get any of the offense, which is all a lot of posters seem to care about. (not saying you)

2013 the lockout year was the first year in the deal so we didn't get much. Hey I wanted him signed as much as anyone and was fine with the number and within a year I wanted a compliance buyout after the '13 playoffs so what do I know.:(

But that playoffs man Kelly stunk up the joint with Pevs and Seguin and was probably the worst of all 3. Since its been injuries and some decent play you still get good PKing but no more elite speed Paille was better at less money. Our bottom 6 could have really used him over Talbot though the loss is real right now and his money is almost certainly NOT going to be spent on another player or used improve the team at this point so this hurts the Bruins. (I'd give Paille a ring and see if hes better than Talbot.)
Prior to the lockout year Kelly wearing the Spoked B you can't build a better 3rd liner and worth the contract fully but from the lockout year through last we got more out of Paille at a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

Clownarelli

Nov 27, 2005
Boston
Since when does Chris Kelly have "speed"? Jesus do people overrate him. He couldn't keep up with the kids all season, and he hasn't played well in 3 years (minus maybe 2 games this season).

Talbot is essentially the same player, just FASTER, younger, and with a 1/3 of the cap hit. We will be fine.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Since when does Chris Kelly have "speed"? Jesus do people overrate him. He couldn't keep up with the kids all season, and he hasn't played well in 3 years (minus maybe 2 games this season).

Talbot is essentially the same player, just FASTER, younger, and with a 1/3 of the cap hit. We will be fine.

So you're saying Max Talbot sucks? Yeah, I agree...:laugh:

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast

Talbot sure as hell isn't faster than Kelly.

****, the guy couldn't even keep up with his own chickens :sarcasm:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Unquestionably a top 10 fastest skater in the NHL when he was acquired in 2011.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
been reading all the posts and most seem to be along the same line but one thing is obvious to me

they are a better team with him

and

they will have less points at the end of the year without him - how many? not sure but I'll go 3-4 points

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
been reading all the posts and most seem to be along the same line but one thing is obvious to me

they are a better team with him

and

they will have less points at the end of the year without him - how many? not sure but I'll go 3-4 points

If they do not find the right player to fill his skates I will go as far as saying 6-7 points less.
Totally agree the team is much better with him than without him at this stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad