News Article: Chicago Gets 2017 NHL Draft

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Yep, the league sure is "growing" the game by having the draft in an already successful market.

What a load. I'm all for boycotting the Mickey Mouse event known as the World Cup. I wasn't going to but tickets, now I also won't watch.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Didn't know the Sabres were a cup contender last year when they were rewarded hosting the draft his year?

I must have missed their great season.

I didn't remember their playoff run last year either so I just looked up their record.

Last place in the league with 54 points (23-51-8 record) and -113 goal differential.

Maybe the league rewards successful winners and successful tankers?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Are you speaking of big market teams (profit sharing) with small market teams to keep the league healthier?

Look at it this way.

Wouldn't you rather Leafs be drafting 1st over in 2017 while Chicago host the draft? High pick or Host event?

The league rewards failure by awarding the draft picks in reverse standings order with the weakest teams getting their pick of the best future talent, while the teams that are at the top of the league standings get to host the event and rewarded for their on ice success.

"Build it and they will come" (Field of Dreams) seems to be motto the NHL is promoting by rewarding success and not failure.

This seems to be the logical approach to give incentive to owners promising them financial gain through success.

PS. The Leafs are tanking to get high draft picks and losing $$ in the process. If the NHL rewards Toronto with big prized events (draft and All-star game) it allows the Leafs ownership to line their pockets with profit recouping losses as a result of icing a struggling team.

Did I miss the part where buffalo became the epitome of greatness? last time I checked, we're tied with them for dead last

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Bettman is rewarding success and not failure with his decisions.

LA and Chicago have won 5 of the last 6 Stanley Cups combined and so have earned the right to get rewarded by the NHL for their success by getting higher priority than struggling teams.

Rewarding success and not failure is not a wrong philosophical approach.

Why did Florida get the last draft then? Last 10 drafts:

Buffalo (2016)
Florida
Philly
New Jersey
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
LA
MTL
Ottawa
Columbus

Of those teams, only New Jersey and Pittsburgh had won a cup in the preceding 10 years. 4 bottom feeders in Buffalo, Florida, Columbus, Minnesota (at the time). Flyers and Ottawa were middle tier teams, with some decent season. Only real contenders at that time were LA and Pittsburgh (and maybe New Jersey).

If rewarding success is what's happening here, it is a new thing.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Buffalo just got the draft after tanking in embarrassing fashion. Don't tell me this has anything to do with success.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
From the article:
I've been told that once everything is announced, it will all make sense.

Sureeeeee it will.:rolleyes:

I didn't care about the All-Star Game, said as much in that thread. Pretty pissed we're not getting the Draft.

Unless we're magically ending up with the #1 overall selection in this year's draft, I struggle to see how "it will all make sense."

It definitely looks as if the league's going to screw us. **** Bettman.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Do you think Bettman is the reason why the Leafs cant get quality players to sign with our team as well?

If Stamkos doesn't sign with the Leafs I'll just assume its because of Bettman

Maybe the players know how much the Leafs get screwed by the league and thus don't want to play for the Leafs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What can they possibly announce to make it all make sense? Auto berth in the cup finals?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What can they possibly announce to make it all make sense? Auto berth in the cup finals?

I imagine it will be some sort of HHOF celebration thing with all of the Leafs legends and some special day for us and stuff. You know, like they do every year anyway... but this time, for that.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Maybe Chicago get a draft for the other 29 NHL teams where they just draft the leftover garbage from this years draft, and Toronto gets a draft all to ourselves where we get to hoard all the 2017 NHL draft talent :sarcasm:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Are you speaking of big market teams (profit sharing) with small market teams to keep the league healthier?

Look at it this way.

Wouldn't you rather Leafs be drafting 1st over in 2017 while Chicago host the draft? High pick or Host event?

The league rewards failure by awarding the draft picks in reverse standings order with the weakest teams getting their pick of the best future talent, while the teams that are at the top of the league standings get to host the event and rewarded for their on ice success.

"Build it and they will come" (Field of Dreams) seems to be motto the NHL is promoting by rewarding success and not failure.

This seems to be the logical approach to give incentive to owners promising them financial gain through success.

PS. The Leafs are tanking to get high draft picks and losing $$ in the process. If the NHL rewards Toronto with big prized events (draft and All-star game) it allows the Leafs ownership to line their pockets with profit recouping losses as a result of icing a struggling team.

Why does it need to be either or?

Exhibit A) Florida hosting the draft and getting 1st overall.

Numerous examples have been stated why success being rewarded and failure being cast aside is simply untrue.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
The last draft in Toronto was very poorly attended. Everybody talks the talk but few walk the walk.

The last draft in Toronto was in 2002, and received next to no media coverage. I know. I was there.

The draft is a very different animal now. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Just look at the World Juniors between 2002 and now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

They used the same lottery % odds assigned to last years playoff teams and held the draft lottery in reverse including only the playoff teams with the winner given the right to host the entry draft.

It appears Chicago won the host lottery by having the highest odds of success being the Cup winner and ranked #1 going in.

Then they have the real draft lottery to assign the top draft picks to the non playoff teams to decide the selection order of teams at the draft in Chicago.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I'm already not paying attention to the World Cup - not because I'm boycotting, but because it's pointless and means nothing. The second they used crap like the "Youngstars" team, it became a joke and not worth my time.

That said, this really is a slap in the face to the entire market. The leagues most popular team, despite poor performance, but one that continues to pump money into the pockets of other teams and drive up HRR.

It would have been 15 years since we hosted the draft last. It's our centennial season, and we're getting SFA as a result.

Pretty shameful. I've never been a Bettman hater, particularly after reading his biography, but this move just doesn't sit well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why does it need to be either or?

Exhibit A) Florida hosting the draft and getting 1st overall.

Numerous examples have been stated why success being rewarded and failure being cast aside is simply untrue.

Small market teams hosting the draft wouldn't have any attendance and fan interest if their team didn't have a prized pick.

It generates additional revenue for the teams in smaller markets to help those franchises out that often play to 1/2 empty buildings as fans stay away when teams struggle and the hurts franchise ability to compete even in a cap world.

What would awarding one of the richest NHL teams, with the biggest fan base already, with hosting the entry draft do for the big picture NHL overall?

So you're promoting interest in small markets, or rewarding success as the selling points by the NHL for their decisions.

The NHL doesn't seem to think just being around for 100 years earns you special rights.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Small market teams hosting the draft wouldn't have any attendance and fan interest if their team didn't have a prized pick.

It generates additional revenue for the teams in smaller markets to help those franchises.

What would awarding one of the richest NHL teams, with the biggest fan bases already, with hosting the entry draft do for the big picture NHL overall?

Maybe to reward a city for supporting a team for 100 years that has now become one of the most profitable organizations in North America?

Yeah, that's not good enough. :laugh:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Common Stephen you know damn well the crap they will try to shill us

The cana err ,world errr, glorified nhl allstar tournament (aka , Toronto is the only sucker city that could make this abomination a proper cash grab)

and 1rst (after all these years of having them) outdoor game

Man after the joy of the Dion trade, all that goodness been pretty much sucked dry.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

It generates additional revenue for the teams in smaller markets to help those franchises.

What would awarding one of the richest NHL teams, with the biggest fan bases already, with hosting the entry draft do for the big picture NHL overall?

So you're promoting interest in small markets, or rewarding success as the selling points by the NHL for their decisions.

Let's us know they appreciate us propping up their league for many years.

Not to mention that it's simply precedent they have set by giving Montreal the draft in their Centennial year. Why is Toronto treated differently?

I appreciate you playing Devil's advocate on this but there really isn't a lot I'm going to hear on this subject that that will change my mind. I'm of the opinion that the league is in fact screwing us on this and treating us as second fiddle.

Unless there is a couple of 1st overall picks coming our way in 2016 and 2017 (and we have no way of knowing if it was rigged in our favor in the event that actually happens), there isn't a lot of positive to take out of this situation.

Last edited:

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
One reason i was happy with the 2nd rd pick in the Phaneuf trade was that is was a 2017 pick and i thought that they we are going to make trades for picks for that draft in particular to have the fans excited for the draft in Toronto..now i hear this bs, horrible decision by the league

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe to reward a city for supporting a team for 100 years that has now become one of the most profitable organizations in North America?

Yeah, that's not good enough. :laugh:

I'm guessing the NHL will announce shortly that Leafs will be the host of an Outdoor game on Jan 1st, 2017 for their centennial year.

Outdoor games bring in huge fan interest and allows a team to promote its past with a legends game of Leafs past (Sittler, Gilmour, Clark) and their future with a Marlies game (Nylander etc) along with the Leafs organization present.

That would be a far more appealing to MLSE then hosting the entry draft or All-Star game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad