News Article: Chicago Gets 2017 NHL Draft

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I'm guessing the NHL will announce shortly that Leafs will be the host of an Outdoor game on Jan 1st, 2017 for their centennial year.

Outdoor games bring in huge fan interest and allows a team to promote its past with a legends game of Leafs past (Sittler, Gilmour, Clark) and their future with a Marlies game (Nylander etc) along with the Leafs organization present.

That would be a far more appealing to MLSE then hosting the entry draft or All-Star game.

Sorry Mess, I don't think it would. Most people (myself included) are sick of the outdoor games. There's so many now they aren't even special anymore.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Sorry Mess, I don't think it would. Most people (myself included) are sick of the outdoor games. There's so many now they aren't even special anymore.

If I am getting an outdoor game, I want the prestige of having the Winter Classic, not a BS heritage game.

The draft makes the most sense for this franchise. We suck, we're going to suck for a while, we have the most draft picks next draft as of now. Perfect event for us.

I can take a pass on the ASG.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The shawls and Kings have certainly earned those events - I hold no ill will towards them and heir fans, but this is a shameful snub to one of the league's most historic franchises.

I hope Lou tears into the league for this.

Bettman is rewarding success and not failure with his decisions.

LA and Chicago have won 5 of the last 6 Stanley Cups combined and so have earned the right to get rewarded by the NHL for their success by getting higher priority than struggling teams.

Rewarding success and not failure is not a wrong philosophical approach.

They rewarded the Habs with multiple events on their major anniversary- and they've won the same amount of cups the Leaf has over the past decade.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think the Leafs should have gotten the draft, ASG and the winter classic.

They could have given all the other American teams (LA, Chicago, St. Louis) Stadium Series games. Winnipeg and Ottawa could have played the heritage classic.

Easy.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Can't wait to hear the justification for this one.

Bettman is just out to appease NBC, it's unbelievable.

I want to see Lou or Shanny lose their temper over this.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
In fairness, markets like LA could really use something like the ASG. I know this market has seen Cups but really, a lot of people look at the Kings I think in the same way Toronto people look at the Argos. Like hey, that's cute, now let's get back to the Lakers/Dodgers/Clippers.

However, Toronto is such a big city, with so much passion for the team that they don't really NEED the ASG.

The draft though, that was a dumb move. Why not just avoid the backlash and give Toronto the draft?

Bettman has been easily the worst commissioner of all four major sports.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

and see. this is the thing right here.

some papers have stated it. there's this mystery "well, when everything is announced, it will make sense." but people are really, really not happy about this.

at. all. it would be nice to hear Shanahan/Lou speak up about how the organization has bumpkiss for their 100th year of existence.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
In fairness, markets like LA could really use something like the ASG. I know this market has seen Cups but really, a lot of people look at the Kings I think in the same way Toronto people look at the Argos. Like hey, that's cute, now let's get back to the Lakers/Dodgers/Clippers.

However, Toronto is such a big city, with so much passion for the team that they don't really NEED the ASG.

The draft though, that was a dumb move. Why not just avoid the backlash and give Toronto the draft?

This is a statement that I think fans of all 30 teams can agree with. Except the Hawks. They're the NHL's sweetheart.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
and see. this is the thing right here.

some papers have stated it. there's this mystery "well, when everything is announced, it will make sense." but people are really, really not happy about this.

at. all. it would be nice to hear Shanahan/Lou speak up about how the organization has bumpkiss for their 100th year of existence.

It's only 100 though. Maybe they're saving it all for the 200th?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If I am getting an outdoor game, I want the prestige of having the Winter Classic, not a BS heritage game.

The draft makes the most sense for this franchise. We suck, we're going to suck for a while, we have the most draft picks next draft as of now. Perfect event for us.

I can take a pass on the ASG.

Leaf fans are simply going to have to put on their scarfs and mittens bundle up and head on down to the Outdoor Classic in Toronto at BMO. :)

Get to see Dave Keon drop the ceremonial puck in the legends game where fans can see Sittler, Sundin, Salming, Gilmour and Clark play first.

Then sit back and enjoy Auston Matthews centering Nylander and Marner in the outdoor game for the new generation Leafs.

The NHL thinking logically (not irrationally) would think that giving the biggest venue (80,000+ seats) to an outdoor game would cater better for the largest NHL fanbase, then trying to find 10,000 seats to a ACC entry draft event where 1/2 the building is pre-reserved to players, families, scouts, agents, press etc.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Funny enough, the NBC excuse is a really weak one for the draft. Fans of all teams around the league are gonna watch th edraft regardless of where it's held, because every single team and their fans have a vested interest in watching who their team selects. Where the draft is held really makes zero difference ratings wise for NBC. And really, neither does where the ASG is held for similar reasons.

Now, the Winter Classic being in St Louis and involving the Hawks... that's a massive NBC shill move. That has NBC's goddamn slimy handprints all over it.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Leaf fans are simply going to have to put on their scarfs and mittens bundle up and head on down to the Outdoor Classic in Toronto at BMO. :)

Get to see Dave Keon drop the ceremonial puck in the legends game where fans can see Sittler, Sundin, Salming, Gilmour and Clark play first.

Then sit back and enjoy Auston Matthews centering Nylander and Marner in the outdoor game for the new generation Leafs.

The NHL thinking logically (not irrationally) would think that giving the biggest venue (80,000+ seats) to an outdoor game would cater better for the largest NHL fanbase, then trying to find 10,000 seats to a ACC entry draft event where 1/2 the building is pre-reserved to players, families, scouts, agents, press etc.

Again, why is it an either/ or situation?

I can't believe you're serious here, I was convinced you were swerving us...

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

I hate Bettman... but Roger Goodell is way, way, way, way, WAAAAAY worse. Seriously, Goodell is actively trying to destroy the NFL and is a power hungry control freak. Comparing Bettman to Goodell is like trying to compare a serial shoplifter, adulterer, and arrogant jerk to Hitler.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Again, why is it an either/ or situation?

I can't believe you're serious here, I was convinced you were swerving us...

I'm not making the decisions on where these events are. :)

The NHL already if putting on the World Cup and the World Juniors in Toronto (and Montreal) and thus other cities are receiving other league events.

I predict the NHL will announce shortly an outdoor game during Leafs centennial year which will be a bigganza palazzo of epic proportion celebrating Leafs past, present and future.

PS. I can't stand that little weasel Bettman so I'm not defending him only trying to rationalize the decision process.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Right...i'll have what you're smoking lol.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I'm not making the decisions on where these events are. :)

The NHL already if putting on the World Cup and the World Juniors in Toronto (and Montreal) and thus other cities are receiving other league events.

I predict the NHL will announce shortly an outdoor game during Leafs centennial year which will be a bigganza palazzo of epic proportion celebrating Leafs past, present and future.

PS. I can't stand that little weasel Bettman so I'm not defending him only trying to rationalize the decision process.

The world Jrs has nothing to do with the NHL.

And nobody gives a flying duck about the WC. Give THAT to LA...

Lubo

Nov 8, 2008
Sounds like owners and media types are playing politics behind the scenes.

We're all just out of the loop on what deals are being made.

The league has already shown itself to be Machiavellian with the John Scott situation recently so I imagine this issue is more of the same string pulling.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I want to know why the Blackhawks needed to have an event to announce this and why Bettman needed to be there? Whenever a team is awarded the NHL draft they usually release a press release announcing it and nothing more. I never heard of a press conference announcing it with the commissioner also being there. Finally has the NHL announced where their next 2 drafts will be happening before the upcoming one takes place? They still have the 2016 draft in Buffalo and I can't remember the following years draft being announced in the same year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad