News Article: Chicago Gets 2017 NHL Draft

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Boycott the World Cup of Hockey. It was likely brought to Toronto to gauge Torontonians at the gate so why not stick it to the 'man' by foiling his plan to line his pockets. Maybe it's just me but having watching hockey for 20 years I still have no idea what this tournament is about. It looks like a glorified All-Star game cast as an international tournament. I could care less if it's not the Olympics--who's watching? North Americans?

This 100X!

I don't EVER give a **** about these things but the total lack of respect is ********.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Boycott what exactly

Don't watch any game, live or on TV. Do not buy their next video game. Do not buy any jerseys/other paraphernalia. Do not read or watch any news related to the league. I realize it would never happen to get every or even a quarter of the fanbase on board - but Leafs Nation has the capacity to do serious damage to the leagues finances.

Edit: oh and that includes the AHL and World Championship.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Don't care. I'll just do my part and pull real dollars I spend on NHL licensed products.

Don't watch NBC games etc or other league games pretty much. Collectively the Leafs fans are the most powerful group in the NHL.

Just smile and say well **** you too in your own way.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
This 100X!

I don't EVER give a **** about these things but the total lack of respect is ********.

Yes, it is the lack of respect that makes me pissed. I thought it was a given we would get it all at first. Then the ASG went to LA Kings. Sure, they celebrate 50 years and the players rather go to sunny LA in the winter then Toronto. No argument from me there.

But all this other BS just makes my blood boil.

:rant:

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Don't care. I'll just do my part and pull real dollars I spend on NHL licensed products.

Don't watch NBC games etc or other league games pretty much. Collectively the Leafs fans are the most powerful group in the NHL.

Just smile and say well **** you too in your own way.

Exactly. If Leaf Nation collectively said "**** you" they not only lose our real dollars, but a significant amount of advertising.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
start trying to support the OHL instead?

not even sure why I watch the nhl I think it's nothing more than the media and coverage is so much better. But the ohl hockey itself is more entertaining. Way more creativity, way more deking, way more exciting plays, way more uniqueness with unique players and styles and teams, compared to the nhl which is systematic to the point of monotony

that said I will probably end up watching a couple random oshawa games next year and like 40+ leafs games

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Soon i'll have an android box so they won't even get the TV Ratings. I won't be purchasing tickets to a game going forward though.

No more NHL purchases.

oldfan2010

Jan 2, 2010
Muskoka
To disrespect someone is one thing, but to disrespect someone who pays your bills is quite another.

Last edited:

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
It's pretty insulting to be honest. I wouldn't really care if Montreal didn't get it all in their 100th.

But lol at "boycotts". Many fans said same thing after the lockouts.. nothing ever happens significant amount to affect anything.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Here's the thing though, no one other than SOME Leaf fans, give a damn. I wonder who is more pissed, Leaf fans or Toronto(the city) fans.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Another slap in the face from the league in our Centennial season.

Mark LazerusVerified account
‏@MarkLazerus
Chicago to host NHL Draft for the first time in 2017. Quick story: http://*******/1Sj3Uko

Habs got the draft and the All-star game.

League has given the All-star game to Los Angeles and now the draft to Chicago.

Seems like a big slap in the face from the league, even more so because we carry them financially.

No different than the outdoor games. I hate them to begin with but the fact that Toronto wasn't in the initial one is just more slap in the face.

This team has carried much of the league for years, often at its own expense. It's an absolute farce how the league treats them. "Mr." Bettman deserves every boo he gets.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i get it chicago hasn't had a draft, but why not wait until 2018 for them? i'm not against them getting it, but why on our anniversary?

leafs are celebrating their 100th anniversary and we actually suck, so the draft would be a great event for the leafs and their fans due to the likelihood of a high draft pick.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
It'll never happen but it'd be amusing if the Leafs were to "honour" their centenary by lowering tickets to the prices they were 100 years ago and drastically lowering the price of all merchandise "for the fans".

This would serve a dual purpose: a grand gesture for the fans and drastically reducing hockey-related revenues, perhaps enough to be a recipient of revenue sharing as a nice middle-finger to Bettman and the league.

That would be nice. I would like to see how Chicago would manage to cope with their salary cap. That draft would have more meaning to them then. We have no long term commitments so we would reap the benefits from cap teams.

This is insulting and shows major disrespect towards the Maple Leafs. It's the Centennial we should be recognized, because of the history.

Our fans have paid nose bleed ticket prices for years to keep teams like Coyotes in the league. Now they thank us by snubbing our celebration.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Not surprising that the main board is saying we sound self entitled. "Toronto fans aren't the only fans in the NHL."

God, what a joke this site can be sometimes.

You have to think about it.

The NHL draft hasn't been held in Toronto since 2002. 14 years ago. So while it's not like it's never happened, having the centennial year comes around only once.

The NHL all-star game hasn't happened since 2000. 16 years ago.

Again, Leafs fans weren't upset the past decade when the draft or all-star game didn't come to Toronto. People are voicing displeasure because it's the centennial year and they're getting squat. They might get one of the stadium series games like a Heritage classic, but that's pennies compared to what they wanted.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
We will have plenty to celebrate in the very near future. Maybe not for our 100th Anniversary, but that's just a number. When we have the boys in blue tearing up the Atlantic and winning playoff series against top teams then maybe we can start converting some followers around the league. The Leafs are one of the most historic franchises in all of North American sports, and I truly believe we have one of the best, if not the best fanbase. This slight is rude and inconsiderate from the league but ultimately it is inconsequential. This is just another example of everyone counting us out, and it will make victory all the sweeter.

Besides, just think about how sweet it will be when they add that 14th vein to the Leaf on the new jersey :yo:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Okay, so how does Leafs Nation put the screws to Buttman is the question we should now be asking.

#FireBettman! Loud and proud!

We use our super power, having the largest and most vocal fan base in the league. If someone was motivated to organize this I would council the following.

1. A Twitter spam campaign. Gary Bettman, Daly and whatever other official seems relevant gets Twitter spam from Leaf Nation.

2. A petition should be started saying we will Boycott any luxury events like the Classic or World Cup if we are not given our due.

3. We spam Rogers with demands our interest are fought for.

Our power is money and numbers. If enough people care we could make the League nervous. If someone is motivated enough to run this operation I would be happy to lend my support but I have too much on my plate now to do it myself.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I don't really care for the events and wouldn't have attended them either if they were in Toronto, but it is upsetting to see the league not give toronto any events they were interested in with it being their 100th season and all.

Now instead of having events to celebrate the teams history we have a likely still ****** team to cheer for? Can't wait!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well good job Lou

You just cost us the 2017 draft

You just had to carve em in Jersey didn't ya,:(

Who gets the last laugh now?

But on a serious note, the news is a kick in the nads and frankly, utterly disrespectful

They have nothing up or left in their sleeves to correct this slight

but hey folks, make sure you flood to TO for that cash grab know as the Canada (oops my bad , can't have that) cup

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
We use our super power, having the largest and most vocal fan base in the league. If someone was motivated to organize this I would council the following.

1. A Twitter spam campaign. Gary Bettman, Daly and whatever other official seems relevant gets Twitter spam from Leaf Nation.

2. A petition should be started saying we will Boycott any luxury events like the Classic or World Cup if we are not given our due.

3. We spam Rogers with demands our interest are fought for.

Our power is money and numbers. If enough people care we could make the League nervous. If someone is motivated enough to run this operation I would be happy to lend my support but I have too much on my plate now to do it myself.

I wonder if Steve Dangle is available?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't really care for the events and wouldn't have attended them either if they were in Toronto, but it is upsetting to see the league not give toronto any events they were interested in with it being their 100th season and all.

Now instead of having events to celebrate the teams history we have a likely still ****** team to cheer for? Can't wait!

Well the draft one saddens me a lot, it was the only possible event I would be able to get tickets for or could afford.

OvenMittz*

I don't even know what to say......

I can understand all the crap about gaining the american viewers blah blah blah...

But 1 season... 1... In which we honor one of the famous original 6 100th anniversary and we get snubbed.. Even after Montreal was honored with everything in theres.

Gary Bettmen you are a Snake and a dumb piece of ****.. I hope you fall tempted into a scandal that gets you fired and we all laugh at you Bobble your head out the door.

I can't, I can't be in this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad