News Article: Chicago Gets 2017 NHL Draft

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The best way to get back at Bettman is if the Leafs start winning over the next decade and lay waste to their NBC darlings in the playoffs.

Feels like the NHL went out of their way to shun Toronto.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Steve Dangle Glynn ✔ @Steve_Dangle
Don't be mad, Leafs fans. I'm just glad Blackhawks fans finally got rewarded with something because they've had a really rough go.
9:35 AM - 11 Feb 2016

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Freaking disgusting. Leafs pay for half of these teams to keep them alive and they can't even get a freaking draft for their 100th anniversary? Just disgusting.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Another slap in the face from the league in our Centennial season.

Mark LazerusVerified account
‏@MarkLazerus
Chicago to host NHL Draft for the first time in 2017. Quick story: http://*******/1Sj3Uko

Habs got the draft and the All-star game.

League has given the All-star game to Los Angeles and now the draft to Chicago.

Seems like a big slap in the face from the league, even more so because we carry them financially.

Bettman is rewarding success and not failure with his decisions.

LA and Chicago have won 5 of the last 6 Stanley Cups combined and so have earned the right to get rewarded by the NHL for their success by getting higher priority than struggling teams.

Rewarding success and not failure is not a wrong philosophical approach.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Loophole Lou's next job is to find a way to get out of revenue sharing.

The league needs to start treating us better, we're one of the reasons they even exist.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

LA and Chicago have won 5 of the last 6 Stanley Cups combined and so have earned the right to get rewarded by the NHL for their success by getting higher priority than struggling teams.

So why are half of the teams in the league still around?

They are failures but the Leafs among a few other teams prop them up financially.

Seems like failure is rewarded if you ask me.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

So the last four drafts were in New Jersey, Philly, Florida and now Buffalo this year. Giving one of the worst teams in the league the draft this year is definitely not rewarding success.

Last four all star games were Carolina, Ottawa, Columbus and Nashville this year.

So did the NHL suddenly decide to "reward success" in the leaf's 100th year? Or are you just using a very small coincidence as your argument?

OvenMittz*

I disagree... They can give it to Chicago and LA 5 yrs in a row for all I care.. Just not on our 100th anniversary.. Even after Montreal had everything.

Toronto is one of the largest markets filling their pocket, and a little respects would be nice.

LA got their all-star game for their 50th... And for our 100th we get what exactly?

The draft would if mean a lot to this city considering we will be drafting high..

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Loophole Lou's next job is to find a way to get out of revenue sharing.

The league needs to start treating us better, we're one of the reasons they even exist.

I'm sure there's a dollar amount they can spend that would essentially eliminate them from the revenue sharing pool? Unless it's exclusively tied to player salary or something.

Keep splurging on the coaching, management, analytics+fitness+nutrition departments right up until you don't have any revenue left to share.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah...Mess just got crushed, very flawed argument and way of thinking.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am sure a lot of this has been known to Rogers an Bell for some time.

Anyone notice how the Media(Rogers Bell) have been all over the NHL for anything and everything?

All star game sucks and is a waste etc.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Seriously I use to get behind revenue sharing, but if the league will disrespect this team like that I want out. It's a freaking draft, that's all we wanted :shakehead

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region

Explain Florida getting awarded the 2015 draft when they were the worst team in the league?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

The comic relief has arrived folks.

We all just got swerved.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So why are half of the teams in the league still around?

They are failures but the Leafs among a few other teams prop them up financially.

Seems like failure is rewarded if you ask me.

Are you speaking of big market teams (profit sharing) with small market teams to keep the league healthier?

Look at it this way.

Wouldn't you rather Leafs be drafting 1st over in 2017 while Chicago host the draft? High pick or Host event?

The league rewards failure by awarding the draft picks in reverse standings order with the weakest teams getting their pick of the best future talent, while the teams that are at the top of the league standings get to host the event and rewarded for their on ice success.

"Build it and they will come" (Field of Dreams) seems to be motto the NHL is promoting by rewarding success and not failure.

This seems to be the logical approach to give incentive to owners promising them financial gain through success.

PS. The Leafs are tanking to get high draft picks and losing $$ in the process. If the NHL rewards Toronto with big prized events (draft and All-star game) it allows the Leafs ownership to line their pockets with profit recouping losses as a result of icing a struggling team.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Maybe Toronto should boycott the World Cup cash grab.

like i wrote.
WAY too late on that train.

they started selling tickets basically the moment it was announced. packages were around 1100 dollars or something. and when i checked (not like i'd be able to afford anything) - most were sold out.

apparently - according to the main thread - the Leafs will get the Heritage Classic v. Montreal for the centennial.

either that and - the leafs aren't REALLY one hundred. the leafs brand is only 90 years old. so it doesn't really count.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad