News Article: Chicago Gets 2017 NHL Draft

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I mean it sucks yeah, but maybe if the Leafs wanted to be treated better they could have been more relevant as an organization over the past 10 years. If we were part of a dynasty like Chicago do you think that we'd be getting snubbed like this? Absolutely not. I have faith that the Shanaplan will start bringing us more respect leaguewide, and that these things will be avoided in the future.

There's 2 ways to think about this.

1. Yes, the product on the ice for the Maple Leafs in the past decade has been horrible. The 1 playoff appearance and the terrible job of running the team hasn't done wonders for the league.

2. Within the time that Chicago & Pittsburgh have been awarded multiple winter classics and NHL drafts and have won stanley cups, the Leafs have continued to generate more revenue than both of them. And the population size of Chicago (actual city of Chicago not including greater area) is more than Toronto.

I don't think that it matters what the Leafs are doing in the standings, the league has piggybacked on them to drive a lot of the revenue and hasn't said thank you for it. And the league is taking advantage of Toronto as a fan base and we're not going to do anything about it. We'll still continue to show up in arenas... for example, even though this year the team is awful, there was a couple times in Calgary where the "Go Leafs Go" chant started.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Does it really matter? we are acting like kids. I can bet most of the people do not even watch these all star games

I am sorry and no disrespect to any one

The Leafs are turning 100. It's a pretty big deal and the NHL is showing a complete lack of respect to us.

Montreal got everything they wanted, Draft, All-Star, Classic, approval for different jersey's and ceremonies,

So far, we have been confirmed for nothing. We will get the pregame ceremonies and different jersey's, but not getting 1 NHL event? Doesn't make sense.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
wow, bettman just became public enemy #1.

why is it so hard for the league to show toronto some appreciation? just for one year? is that really so hard?

so well just end up with an heritage classic game then? pathetic.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The Leafs are turning 100. It's a pretty big deal and the NHL is showing a complete lack of respect to us.

Montreal got everything they wanted, Draft, All-Star, Classic, approval for different jersey's and ceremonies,

So far, we have been confirmed for nothing. We will get the pregame ceremonies and different jersey's, but not getting 1 NHL event? Doesn't make sense.

The World Cup thing they are showing isn't really an official NHL event. We're not going to see a lot of Leafs there

WJC is a IIHF event so it's not like the NHL is doing anything for us there. We don't even get the gold medal game anyway.

We're getting a stadium series game at best not even the official Winter Classic Game.

Last edited:

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Its a precedent set by the league.

Montreal for their 100th got everything they wanted. Now its our turn and we literally did not get a single thing.

The league just needs to treat every team the same, its not like Leafs fans want special treatment or anything. They just continue to screw us over and over.

I agree with you except for this. Yes, I get the league needs to be fair and treat everyone equally. Except its the Leafs. We SHOULD get special treatment. The league and half the teams would be nowhere without us.
Its not unreasonable to ask for the same things as the Habs got in their Centennial season. The league set the precedent in 2009 when they rewarded the Habs literally everything. Why not give the Leafs the same? This isn't Arizona celebrating their 20th season (even though they are), this is the Toronto Maple Leafs. Do you think the MLB would snub the Yankees or Red Sox like this?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
wow, bettman just became public enemy #1.

why is it so hard for the league to show toronto some appreciation? just for one year? is that really so hard?

so well just end up with an heritage classic game then? pathetic.

Heritage classic!!!!! It's great and we should be grateful!!!!!!!

And Toronto gets part of the newly formed WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

:yo:

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I mean it sucks yeah, but maybe if the Leafs wanted to be treated better they could have been more relevant as an organization over the past 10 years. If we were part of a dynasty like Chicago do you think that we'd be getting snubbed like this? Absolutely not. I have faith that the Shanaplan will start bringing us more respect leaguewide, and that these things will be avoided in the future.

Shouldn't it be about the fans and not the management.

During the Hawks bad days you could throw a cannon through their arena and not hit anyone. Yet Leafs fans having never NOT supporting their team. The most loyal fan base in the league and to me this is a major kick in the teeth.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Heritage classic!!!!! It's great and we should be grateful!!!!!!!

And Toronto gets part of the newly formed WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sharing the hosting with MONTREAL!!!! WOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

:yo:

can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not? :laugh:

world cup is such BS. has nothing to do with the leafs 100th anniversary.

finnbalor*

Given the rebuild, I would have booked time off work and drove five hours to Toronto to see the draft.

More gimmes for American markets, hate how the league disrespects Toronto, hell the Leafs prop up other markets through profit sharing and don't really ask for much, I mean there has been one all star game here in my life time, by the time the Leafs had an outdoor game the gimmick was already played out.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
I was at the draft in Toronto in 2002 (when the Leafs selected Alexander Steen), and it was a fun event to see live. Considering the Leafs might be picking relatively high again next year, it would have been even a better one and I was looking forward to attending it again then. Too bad it's not gonna happen. Very disappointing.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
The one thing that the Leafs get for their 100 year anniversary is the one thing that requires the most ticket sales. Hey, at least you get the world cup, please buy tickets to 7-8 games. These other events? Will sell out everywhere so won't even really matter to us where we put it.

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
We're definitely getting dumped on. You can say you don't care about these events all you like, but to not care about the blantant disrepect and disregard for the Leafs centennial by the league is something I can't understand.

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
I'm hoping we get the Winter Classic, but overall I don't really care that much about this kind of stuff to be honest. I'm pretty sure the Habs didn't play in the Classic their centennial year either.

VL

Sep 22, 2009
The Pale Blue Dot
It'll never happen but it'd be amusing if the Leafs were to "honour" their centenary by lowering tickets to the prices they were 100 years ago and drastically lowering the price of all merchandise "for the fans".

This would serve a dual purpose: a grand gesture for the fans and drastically reducing hockey-related revenues, perhaps enough to be a recipient of revenue sharing as a nice middle-finger to Bettman and the league.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Boycott the World Cup of Hockey. It was likely brought to Toronto to gauge Torontonians at the gate so why not stick it to the 'man' by foiling his plan to line his pockets. Maybe it's just me but having watching hockey for 20 years I still have no idea what this tournament is about. It looks like a glorified All-Star game cast as an international tournament. I could care less if it's not the Olympics--who's watching? North Americans?

It'll never happen but it'd be amusing if the Leafs were to "honour" their centenary by lowering tickets to the prices they were 100 years ago and drastically lowering the price of all merchandise "for the fans".

This would serve a dual purpose: a grand gesture for the fans and drastically reducing hockey-related revenues, perhaps enough to be a recipient of revenue sharing as a nice middle-finger to Bettman and the league.

It would never happen but if it did execution would be key, otherwise the bulk of those tickets would fall into the hands of scalpers, or insiders, who'll just resell them for 8x the price.

oldfan2010

Jan 2, 2010
Muskoka
What else is there left to announce that will "make it right"? Even if there is the Jan 1st outdoor game, that doesn't balance the books to me, when compared to Montreal.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Not surprising that the main board is saying we sound self entitled. "Toronto fans aren't the only fans in the NHL."

God, what a joke this site can be sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad