News Article: Chicago Gets 2017 NHL Draft

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Another slap in the face from the league in our Centennial season.

Mark LazerusVerified account
‏@MarkLazerus
Chicago to host NHL Draft for the first time in 2017. Quick story: http://*******/1Sj3Uko

Habs got the draft and the All-star game.

League has given the All-star game to Los Angeles and now the draft to Chicago.

Seems like a big slap in the face from the league, even more so because we carry them financially.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Give it to the team probably picking 30th and not the team that's a lock for a lottery pick and will have more picks next year than any other team.

Makes sense.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Damn, I didnt really care about the All-Star game, but getting neither the draft nor all-star game is a slap in the face.

Montreal got multiple events. Whats left, an outdoor game? Probably wont be THE Winter Classic though, just part of the stadium series.

Toronto has been a major major player in carrying this league financially for years and years. Thanks for the repayment Buttman.

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
All is forgiven if we end up with the 1st overall selection this year. :D

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That's what you get for having an American running the league. This is a ****ing disgrace . Disgusting the lack of respect this franchise and it's fan base get. If the arena was empty you'd know we'd get multiple events but since our support is unwavering we get taken for granted.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
League doesn't respect the Leafs very much, that's pretty clear.

I would agree with this.

It's fine that the Leafs don't get the draft, all-star game, winter classic, etc. We'll just continue to drive the league in revenue and continue to get walked on.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I usually don't care about this stuff but this is starting to become pretty insulting.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I would agree with this.

It's fine that the Leafs don't get the draft, all-star game, winter classic, etc. We'll just continue to drive the league in revenue and continue to get walked on.

It's pretty insane to be honest. There's no way this is done to say, a team like the Rangers when they reach their 100th. Zero chance. They will probably get everything they want. Guaranteed.

Leafs/Shanahan probably have more class than this, but I would hope they would voice a lot of displeasure with the recent events.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Oh come on guys - this is just NHL draft. We should worry more about our team and it's success

I don't really care

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'm just going to post this here..

Last night there were rumours that Chicago was getting the draft and I wake up to it being official.

I was disappointed we didn't get the all star game and really thought we'd be getting both it and the draft.
Now we hear we lose out on the draft too.

I for one think outdoor games are a stupid gimmick so I couldn't care about it.

Bettmans going to say you guys get the world cup which is nothing but a money grab on the part of the league. He's hoping Leafs fans will pay the ridiculous prices to pad revenue for the league. By the way the NHL was also the ones who changed the name to world cup because Canada Cup wouldn't sell in the states. A cup named to honour the country who gave the world the game of hockey and just trash it.

And I guess he'd say well you guys have the NBA all star game.

Where's the media and their outrage at Toronto being snubbed? Where's Shanny and Lou being outraged?

And I wonder if this would be happening if American Tim Leiweke was still CEO and President of the Leafs?

To me this is a huge kick in the teeth to an organization that has the most loyal fan base in the league and has contributed millions to league revenues.

Let's see how much we've lost under gary.

Canada Cup trashed, renamed world cup
Awards show moved to Vegas.
Combine moved to Buffalo.
NBC getting priority over any Canadian media in scheduling games, especially playoff games. (even when they paid nothing)
The end of CBC hockey night in Canada in 4 years at the hands of Rogers.
Getting rid of Ron Maclean because he had the nerve to ask difficult questions of Gary (Gary doesn't like to be embarrassed)
I realize the above two are on Rogers but it's no secret Bettman didn't care of the HNIC tradition and was pissed off at Maclean.

Leafs fans need to boycott the league but Bettman knows that's not going to happen.

Okay my ranting is over but I am pissed off.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Oh come on guys - this is just NHL draft. We should worry more about our team and it's success

I don't really care

It has nothing to do with worrying about it. The Leafs wanted (or at least it was reported they wanted) events in their city to celebrate their historic year. It's great for the fans and the city hosting events like this.

The Leafs don't get the All-Star because the Kings celebrate their 50th. Fine. Blues apparently may get the WC because of their own 50th. Fine. The Hawks are celebrating...ugh... nothing and they get the draft.

I don't even live in Toronto and it's fairly insulting to read. Their might be something else in store but it's still very disappointing to read that no events from the NHL will be in Toronto, as opposed to Montreal getting every single event on their 100th.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

I don't really care

Garys counting on people like you.

To me it's a kick in the teeth major snub to the most loyal fan base in the league.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I mean it sucks yeah, but maybe if the Leafs wanted to be treated better they could have been more relevant as an organization over the past 10 years. If we were part of a dynasty like Chicago do you think that we'd be getting snubbed like this? Absolutely not. I have faith that the Shanaplan will start bringing us more respect leaguewide, and that these things will be avoided in the future.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's pretty insane to be honest. There's no way this is done to say, a team like the Rangers when they reach their 100th. Zero chance. They will probably get everything they want. Guaranteed.

Leafs/Shanahan probably have more class than this, but I would hope they would voice a lot of displeasure with the recent events.

You mean to tell me that in their centennial year in 2009, the Montreal Canadiens wouldn't have got both the all-star game and the draft? :sarcasm:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As I said in the other thread, it's not even funny at this point.

No all-star game? Fine. LA makes sense for it anyway

No Winter Classic? Kinda ********, but BMO isn't the best venue anyway

No Draft? Unacceptable. Absolutely no reason for not having it in Toronto. It's what? 9 months after the "World Cup of Hockey"

Just such ********.

Not one mention will be made about our Centennial Season at the World Cup either. Guarantee it.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
As I said in the other thread, it's not even funny at this point.

No all-star game? Fine. LA makes sense for it anyway

No Winter Classic? Kinda ********, but BMO isn't the best venue anyway

No Draft? Unacceptable. Absolutely no reason for not having it in Toronto. It's what? 9 months after the "World Cup of Hockey"

Just such ********.

Not one mention will be made about our Centennial Season at the World Cup either. Guarantee it.

Does it really matter? we are acting like kids. I can bet most of the people do not even watch these all star games

I am sorry and no disrespect to any one

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Does it really matter? we are acting like kids. I can bet most of the people do not even watch these all star games

I am sorry and no disrespect to any one

Its a precedent set by the league.

Montreal for their 100th got everything they wanted. Now its our turn and we literally did not get a single thing.

The league just needs to treat every team the same, its not like Leafs fans want special treatment or anything. They just continue to screw us over and over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad