News Article: Chicago Gets 2017 NHL Draft

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
i would assume for the same reason why there aren't "two Winter Classics."

for the most part - to be flat out honest, whilst people are tired with the whole outdoor game-ness. (I still like it). the only one that gets significant traction IS the Winter Classic. everything else is just "oh, another winter game."

If the Leafs host the Heritage Classic on January 1st, it will still get plenty of traction.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If the Leafs host the Heritage Classic on January 1st, it will still get plenty of traction.

It was reported earlier in 2015 that Winnipeg would host the Heritage Classic for December 2016. Unless somethings changed there, I don't see us getting that either.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It was reported earlier in 2015 that Winnipeg would host the Heritage Classic for December 2016. Unless somethings changed there, I don't see us getting that either.

We are definitely hosting an outdoor game next season. It might have a different name, but it will happen, and most likely on January 1st for maximum exposure.

Maybe it will be called the Maple Leafs Centennial Outdoor Classic or something along those lines. The point is, it would still be a huge draw. This market doesn't need the NHL branding or advertising on it's behalf to promote an event of this magnitude.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We are definitely hosting an outdoor game next season. It might have a different name, but it will happen, and most likely on January 1st for maximum exposure.

Maybe it will be called the Maple Leafs Centennial Outdoor Classic or something along those lines. The point is, it would still be a huge draw. This market doesn't need the NHL branding or advertising on it's behalf to promote an event of this magnitude.

Did I miss something... who said this?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
We use our super power, having the largest and most vocal fan base in the league. If someone was motivated to organize this I would council the following.

1. A Twitter spam campaign. Gary Bettman, Daly and whatever other official seems relevant gets Twitter spam from Leaf Nation.

2. A petition should be started saying we will Boycott any luxury events like the Classic or World Cup if we are not given our due.

3. We spam Rogers with demands our interest are fought for.

Our power is money and numbers. If enough people care we could make the League nervous. If someone is motivated enough to run this operation I would be happy to lend my support but I have too much on my plate now to do it myself.

Gee with all the outrage here, you'd think someone would be motivated.

No? Oh well, what's next on the "poor us" list? :sarcasm:

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Maybe if the NHL doesn't do it like they are doing now then MLSE just does it on their own with lots of community events and player meet ups and what not

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Us leaf fans like to complain but we don't like to do anything about it.

All-star game not a huge issue
Outdoor game (I am sure we will have one)
Draft- very surprised the leafs didn't get

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe if the NHL doesn't do it like they are doing now then MLSE just does it on their own with lots of community events and player meet ups and what not

MLSE should already be planning their own events in pre-game ceremonies and other events.

There would be nothing stopping MLSE from opening the ACC to a Leaf organized heritage event showcase.

Leafs wouldn't be celebrating their 100 years by marching Keon and Bower out at an NHL entry draft or All-Star game event anyways because those are league events not Leaf specific events.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
We use our super power, having the largest and most vocal fan base in the league. If someone was motivated to organize this I would council the following.

1. A Twitter spam campaign. Gary Bettman, Daly and whatever other official seems relevant gets Twitter spam from Leaf Nation.

2. A petition should be started saying we will Boycott any luxury events like the Classic or World Cup if we are not given our due.

3. We spam Rogers with demands our interest are fought for.

Our power is money and numbers. If enough people care we could make the League nervous. If someone is motivated enough to run this operation I would be happy to lend my support but I have too much on my plate now to do it myself.

If we do this, it has to be laser focused. What is the number one thing we want from the NHL? Id like to say "give us everything." But the reality is we need one thing that will anchor everything and possibly have a snowball effect. Out of the three, the ASG, Draft and Winter/Heritage Classic, I'm going to go with the draft.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Did I miss something... who said this?

I don't have any inside knowledge or official quotes to offer. However, as a long time TFC supporter, I do know that a major impetus for the renovation of BMO Field aside from the Argos situation was MLSE's desire to host outdoor Leaf games. It was openly discussed by Leiweke when the renovation plans were announced. The stadium renovation will be complete in a few months. I would be absolutely shocked if the inaugaral outdoor game at BMO Field isn't hosted in the Leafs centennial season. It's the perfect opportunity to market the event, with or without the help of the NHL.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't have any inside knowledge or official quotes to offer. However, as a long time TFC supporter, I do know that a major impetus for the renovation of BMO Field aside from the Argos situation was MLSE's desire to host outdoor Leaf games. It was openly discussed by Leiweke when the renovation plans were announced. The stadium renovation will be complete in a few months. I would be absolutely shocked if the inaugaral outdoor game at BMO Field isn't hosted in the Leafs centennial season. It's the perfect opportunity to market the event, with or without the help of the NHL.

Cool. Wasn't trying to call you out or anything, was just wondering if I really did miss some information. The information you gave makes a lot of sense.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

That is what I've been selling in this thread myself that Leafs will host and outdoor game during the 2016-17 season to celebrate their 100 years.

Prediction is Leafs Centennial Heritage game is on Jan 1st at BMO on New Years Day and the Winter Classic goes Jan 2nd in St. Louis and the NHL ties the 2 events together with a big bow with Sportnet promoting the Canada game and the NBC promoting the Winter Classic on their TV broadcast channels for the USA game.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
That is what I've been selling in this thread myself that Leafs will host and outdoor game during the 2016-17 season to celebrate their 100 years.

Prediction is Leafs Centennial Heritage game is on Jan 1st at BMO on New Years Day and the Winter Classic goes Jan 2nd in St. Louis and the NHL ties the 2 events together with a big bow with Sportnet promoting the Canada game and the NBC promoting the Winter Classic on their TV broadcast channels.

Agreed, and it's going to be an orginal six opponent. My guess is the Habs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Agreed, and it's going to be an orginal six opponent. My guess is the Habs.

I agree it will mostly likely be Montreal to keep it Canada heritage based theme as the other original 6 are US based teams.

The oldest rivalry in NHL history.

The NHL could even make this day Hockey Day in Canada and have Leafs game boxed between between 2 all other Canada teams games with a day long series of events and promotions.

I think the NHL is waiting to announce something big for Leafs centennial season and they're saving the best for last. :wg:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

While the game would get maximum exposure in Toronto and across Canada, I doubt it would in the United States even if NBCSN was broadcasting it. Assuming it happens on January 1, 2017 it would also go up against the NFL regular season games that day. That's why the NHL didn't want to have a St. Louis/Chicago Winter Classic that day. So isn't it also kind of an insult for the Leafs to get an outdoor game celebrating their 100th anniversary and not have it recognized in the United States? If it wasn't for Toronto and the revenue sharing how many United States based teams would have an NHL franchise today?

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
I agree it will mostly likely be Montreal to keep it Canada heritage based theme as the other original 6 are US based teams.

The oldest rivalry in NHL history.

The NHL could even make this day Hockey Day in Canada and have Leafs game boxed between between 2 all other Canada teams games with a day long series of events and promotions.

I think the NHL is waiting to announce something big for Leafs centennial season and they're saving the best for last. :wg:

I wish I could share your optimism Mess. I don't think anything will be done for the Leafs by the NHL.

I'm pretty sure we need to fend for ourselves if we want anything to be celebrated or recognized. In the minds of the NHL(Bettman and Co) the Leafs and their centennial is an afterthought.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/11/chicago-to-host-nhl-draft-report

Reports this week suggesting the Blues who, like the Kings, will be celebrating 50 years in the NHL, could host the Blackhawks in the 2017 Winter Classic. As such, an outdoor game in Toronto would most likely be a Heritage Classic.

During the Canadiens 100th anniversary in 2008-09, Montreal played host to both the all-star game and the draft.

Years later, with those two events having been awarded to other markets for 2017, Leafs Nation waits and wonders what’s left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad