Post-Game Talk: Chiasson sucks

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
There is no team development if the team just sucks though. Being scared of a coach will get you a playoff berth and maybe even if the stars align a round 1 win..

Or it alienates your stars and ruins the team chemistry. Babcock failed in Toronto for just that reason and couldn't even get them out of the first round despite having more talent than the Oilers do now.

The forward group is steaming dog shit after the top two, any coach will now play this exact same style against us (trap the f*** out of McDavid's line) in a playoff series until we prove we have other players they need to worry about.

The book is out on this team, the only way you serious change that is by getting better players that demand respect from other coaches/opponents.

No one respects or fears RNH, Yamamoto (not really his fault he's a sophomore player), and the rest .... lol.

And having a psycho coach fixes this how?

Reactions: ujju2

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
For every new coach hire that works out, there are like 3 or 4 that are Dallas Eakins, young blow hards that really don't know what they're doing because they've never been there before.

Veteran coaches fail all the time too, yet that doesn't stop people from hiring veteran coaches.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
There is no team development if the team just sucks though. Being scared of a coach will get you a playoff berth and maybe even if the stars align a round 1 win.

If the Oilers want any better than that they need serious, serious roster upgrades.

The forward group is steaming dog shit after the top two, any coach will now play this exact same style against us (trap the f*** out of McDavid's line) in a playoff series until we prove we have other players they need to worry about.

The book is out on this team, the only way you serious change that is by getting better players that demand respect from other coaches/opponents.

No one respects or fears RNH, Yamamoto (not really his fault he's a sophomore player), and the rest .... lol.

Not necessary to be scared of him but just demands full respect and adherence to his way. Trotz does an excellent job anywhere he goes. His lineup in Isles is less than impressive by name recognition. Just solid soldiers who can buy in to his way of playing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not necessary to be scared of him but just demands full respect and adherence to his way. Trotz does an excellent job anywhere he goes. His lineup in Isles is less than impressive by name recognition. Just solid soldiers who can buy in to his way of playing.

There's only one Trotz and he came into a situation where the team was demoralized losing Tavares that he got 100 percent buy in to his system. And still I don't buy them as a legit challenger for a Cup.

If they have to play a Tampa they lose.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Great news guys!!!!! Look what I got

upload_2021-5-22_14-57-6.jpeg

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I was more concerned when midway through the first McDavid had Puljujarvi coming down the slot with speed and he looked off him and instead tried to carry the puck down lower to the crease and ended up lobbing a feeble wrister from a terrible angle that Hellybuck just scooped up no problem. I saw that play and I knew that McDavid was going to try to do it all himself. It’s a bad decision on his part cause the Jets are ready for him. They’ve put all their focus on being ready for him.

Im afraid tjat is because McDavid doesnt have that 100% trust in Jesse, like ” will he understamd how to finnish this?”.
The bad thing is also that McD has a high IQ. in other words - he was probably right..

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
In the post he quoted, the productive 'core' was three players: McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse.

He ignored all context of the post to pick out a sentence to make a pointless statement.

The problem is that those 3 "core players" have been complete, 100%, no-shows in the playoffs. Look, I love McDavid more than most people, he is the most purely skilled player I've ever seen, just a phenom. But the reality is his game isn't built to win cups, its built to put up ridiculous point totals in the regular season. Drai had a few good playoff games back in 17 when nobody was keying in on him, and has done ZILTCH since then. Nurse, again a player I have a lot of time for, has been a massive, MASSIVE, disappointment in the playoffs last year and this year. If Nurse is your "30 mins a night" dman, you aren't winning a cup, unless you have a ridiculously deep set of forwards (which we don't).

That core is good enough to be a very good regular season team, but not good enough to win cups.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The problem is that those 3 "core players" have been complete, 100%, no-shows in the playoffs. Look, I love McDavid more than most people, he is the most purely skilled player I've ever seen, just a phenom. But the reality is his game isn't built to win cups, its built to put up ridiculous point totals in the regular season. Drai had a few good playoff games back in 17 when nobody was keying in on him, and has done ZILTCH since then. Nurse, again a player I have a lot of time for, has been a massive, MASSIVE, disappointment in the playoffs last year and this year. If Nurse is your "30 mins a night" dman, you aren't winning a cup, unless you have a ridiculously deep set of forwards (which we don't).

That core is good enough to be a very good regular season team, but not good enough to win cups.
Players that put up ridiculous point totals in the regular season have the ability to win playoff rounds. They're still playing hockey.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Lets see what they can do with actual help.

Remember when the Oilers embarrassed Detroit in 2006 and it 100% proof that players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg were losers who couldn't win?

Do Connor and Leon need to be better? Yes. But is it compartively easy to play a team in a 7 game series where 1 player alone accounts for 60%+ of the offence?

Yes. Any reasonably smart coach can look at that and given a week to pound it into their players heads, you can devise a gameplan to shut/slow down McDavid especially if the refs won't call anything and there is no 2nd line or bottom six to worry about.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Players that put up ridiculous point totals in the regular season have the ability to win playoff rounds. They're still playing hockey.

A completely different style of hockey though, and that is the problem. It is almost 2 different sports, and it 100% has 2 different set of rules. I can't stand playoff hockey personally, but others like it, so to each their own. But the reality is that if the team wants to win cups, they won't win 1 with this group of core players, barring a SIGNIFICANT amount of other players being added. But that won't be possible with the large salaries of these 2 players. Currently 26.6 M, or about 33% of the cap in 3 players that disappear in the playoffs, and can't play the style that wins in the playoffs. Gonna be hard to add players around them to make this team a cup contender.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would rather have an entertaining regular season team that doesn't win a cup, or a boring regular season/playoff team that wins a cup. Obviously the goal is to win a cup, but playoff hockey is SOOOOOO boring to watch. Clutch and grab and interfere, its just nauseating to watch. The regular season is a lot longer, and sports are supposed to be entertainment. Playoff hockey is not entertaining in the least, not to me anyhow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad