Post-Game Talk: Chiasson sucks

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't disagree that our pro scouts have brought back some pretty poor results consistently. But when you're picking out of the late-off-season FA heap, I think it was necessary to keep expectations somewhat realistic. Guys like Kahun, Ennis and Shore aren't players who should be filling vital roles on a competitive team.

Having a little more cap to throw around leads me to believe that one or two of the options we'll have next season should provide a bit more of an impact offensively.
We basically need at least 2 top six wingers, an entirely new bottom 6, and one or two top 4 D.

Oh, and a starting goalie.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yeah, five games. 2 of which are of the playoff variety. So I get what you're saying but becoming a complete player takes time.

Ovi said it best, man. You have to learn how to play the right way in the playoffs. A couple of sour showings will help that.

Or it won't and they never get it done. But they have a lot of time to figure it out. I thought McDavid looked unsure as f*** out there last night with the old dust offs and double-cocks in the slot.

Yep, Winnipeg flipping the script from the regular season has baffled them. I don't think they were ready for such tight checking. Smith kept last night from being a blowout. Hellybuyk or however its spelled has made some nice saves but hasn't been challenged like Smith has.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We basically need at least 2 top six wingers, an entirely new bottom 6, and one or two top 4 D.

I'm assuming RNH and Larsson get re-signed. If Klefbom's healthy, Barrie goes. If he isn't, Barrie stays and we sign a low-event LD.

We need a finishing winger, a 3C and a 1A goalie, assuming Smith doesn't retire. We'll be getting bottom six reinforcements from Bakersfield. Odds are that McLeod goes back to the A.

Reactions: ujju2

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
For a good hockey team that can actually be a contender? I would say usually 5-6 functionally good players that don't evaporate in tight checking games. And then probably even a couple of decent 1-3 energy forwards in the bottom 6 on top of that.

Half a roster is not a "core."

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

One top-6 winger is fine imo (assuming Nuge stays). I know Yams has had a down year, but he's still fine as our 6th player in the top-6 imo. We need a Barrie replacement and perhaps a 2LD so yeah, one or two defensemen. We do indeed need a whole new bottom 6 (I'd keep a couple guys, McLeod and Archibald in particular, but we need significant upgrades on guys like Neal, Chiasson, etc. And yes, we need a starting goalie, and I'd like to keep Smith as a backup.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm assuming RNH and Larsson get re-signed. If Klefbom's healthy, Barrie goes. If he isn't, Barrie stays and we sign a low-event LD.

We need a finishing winger, a 3C and a 1A goalie, assuming Smith doesn't retire. We'll be getting bottom six reinforcements from Bakersfield. Odds are that McLeod goes back to the A.

Agree on all except McLeod. I'd keep him here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As much as people complain about all this the Florida Panthers, who everybody was telling me was a good, must watch club have been trounced in the series against Tampa and giving up an AVERAGE of 5GA / game which is a non starter against Tampa. They were lucky enough to fluke out a game 3 win coming from behind and then getting an OT marker. Otherwise their season would be over and they were SLAUGHTERED, lit on fire, 6-2 today.

With some of the Florida Core older than ours. In goal suppression, they've been a joke. They're supposed to be a solid 200ft club. I've heard Barkov is Selke worthy a thousand times.

I'll take a club at least playing reasonably tight and only giving up 3 goals in two games over whatever Florida is barfing up. Entertaining, sure, their play is never going to W in the playoffs and its not going to beat Tampa.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
As much as people complain about all this the Florida Panthers, who everybody was telling me was a good, must watch club have been trounced in the series against Tampa and giving up an AVERAGE of 5GA / game which is a non starter against Tampa. They were lucky enough to fluke out a game 3 win coming from behind and then getting an OT marker. Otherwise their season would be over and they were SLAUGHTERED, lit on fire, 6-2 today.

With some of the Florida Core older than ours. In goal suppression, they've been a joke. They're supposed to be a solid 200ft club. I've heard Barkov is Selke worthy a thousand times.

I'll take a club at least playing reasonably tight and only giving up 3 goals in two games over whatever Florida is barfing up. Entertaining, sure, their play is never going to W in the playoffs and its not going to beat Tampa.
Tampa would set records against this hapless club.

At least we're not going to be around long enough to get embarrassed by a contender.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

I guess the difference is they're playing Tampa and we're playing Winnipeg. But yeah, I do think some of the reactions here are overblown.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Agree on all except McLeod. I'd keep him here.
McLeod is here out of necessity. He's not an NHL calibre center yet. The Oilers wasting his waiver exemption just wouldn't be wise.

Next season the Oilers will have Benson, Marody, Turris, Neal, Kassian and Archibald all in the bottom six requiring waivers. I don't see a scenario where at least one center that displaces McLeod isn't added in the off-season.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
McLeod is here out of necessity. He's not an NHL calibre center yet. The Oilers wasting his waiver exemption just wouldn't be wise.

Next season the Oilers will have Benson, Marody, Turris, Neal, Kassian and Archibald all in the bottom six requiring waivers. I don't see a scenario where at least one center that displaces McLeod isn't added in the off-season.

If Neal and Kassian are still on this team next season, that's a giant failure.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Starting goalie and top 6 LW need to be our top priorities. After that a 3C and two bottom six LW’s. I have a lot of faith in Klefbom and think he’ll be back. Barrie will be gone, Larsson will be back and I’m 50/50 on RNH. If Holland can pull off upgrading the 5 positions I listed then I’d consider us a contender.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Neal and Kassian are still on this team next season, that's a giant failure.
Good chance Neal gets bought out. Slight chance Kassian gets traded. Doesn't change the situation for McLeod. If he's on the roster, odds are we're not doing him any favors in terms of his development.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
IlpWK0q.jpg

It is time.

More like

Mike_Babcock-scaled.jpg

Hate to say it but a "nice guy" coach only goes so far with this group. You need an angry asshole that will scare the shit out of them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hell no, Babcock sucks. No more retreads.

Rookie coaches can also suck ass too, Eakins and Krueger sucked. We don't have a group mentally strong enough right now to also throw an inexperienced coach into the mix.

Part of the reason they play much better in front of Smith is because he's kind of a dick. He will yell and stare down players for doing stupid things and they are afraid of him, lol.

And that works. For a coach they need a Tortorella or Babcock type, I don't trust a no experience coach for a group this fragile.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
More like

Mike_Babcock-scaled.jpg

Hate to say it but a "nice guy" coach only goes so far with this group. You need an angry asshole that will scare the shit out of them.

You might be right here. The coaches that have been here have been way too accommodating, coddling and afraid to hurt the feelings of their stars for the most part. I do think we need someone here, at least for the short term, to kick some a** and take no guff. Someone who won't be swayed to cater to whatever lines Connor and Drai wants to be put on.... which I believe is a bit of an issue where the inmates are running the asylum a bit. Someone who's not afraid to hurt Connor's feelings a bit for the good of the entire team development.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Rookie coaches can also suck ass too, Eakins and Krueger sucked. We don't have a group mentally strong enough right now to also throw an inexperienced coach into the mix.

The reason they play much better in front of Smith is because he's kind of a dick. He will yell and stare down players for doing stupid things and they are afraid of him, lol.

And that works. For a coach they need a Tortorella or Babcock type, I don't trust a no experience coach for a group this fragile.

I don't buy this voodoo nonsense. You aren't there, you don't know.

If they're going to dump Tippett, the last thing they need is another stubborn, old school, veteran-loving coach. Eff that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You might be right here. The coaches that have been here have been way too accommodating, coddling and afraid to hurt the feelings of their stars for the most part. I do think we need someone here, at least for the short term, to kick some a** and take no guff. Someone who won't be swayed to cater to whatever lines Connor and Drai wants to be put on.... which I believe is a bit of an issue where the inmates are running the asylum a bit. Someone who's not afraid to hurt Connor's feelings a bit for the good of the entire team development.

There is no team development if the team just sucks though. Being scared of a coach will get you a playoff berth and maybe even if the stars align a round 1 win.

If the Oilers want any better than that they need serious, serious roster upgrades.

The forward group is steaming dog shit after the top two, any coach will now play this exact same style against us (trap the f*** out of McDavid's line) in a playoff series until we prove we have other players they need to worry about.

The book is out on this team, the only way you serious change that is by getting better players that demand respect from other coaches/opponents.

No one respects or fears RNH, Yamamoto (not really his fault he's a sophomore player), and the rest .... lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't buy this voodoo nonsense. You aren't there, you don't know.

If they're going to dump Tippett, the last thing they need is another stubborn, old school, veteran-loving coach. Eff that.

For every new coach hire that works out, there are like 3 or 4 that are Dallas Eakins, young blow hards that really don't know what they're doing because they've never been there before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad