Post-Game Talk: Chiasson sucks

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
I don’t see Mcdavid making anyone on the team better except Draisaitl.
Anyone who knows nhl history knows that a generational player can lift the play of the entire team. Mcdavid simple doesn’t. Worst generational player since Marcel Dionne
Ridiculous. Try using your good eye from here on out.

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
the fact i still see khairas name after three years of his mediocrity is enough proof alone that holland is just more of the same issue
The Oilers are a soft team in most regards. Khaira and Kassian are two of the tougher Oilers. If those two are run out of town, we will be back to the guys standing around waiting for a bus again. Do I wish that Kassian was more engaged...of course and Khaira is just back from getting his brains scrambled twice. The short comings of these two while relevant, they are no where close to the biggest issues facing this team.

Reactions: majormajor

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Was hoping EDM would sweep the Jets so Paul Maurice would be fired. I’m baffled how the Jets have been able to clutch, grab and interfere their way to a 2-0 series lead.

Seems like all the Oilers players do is look to give 97 and 29 the puck and hope they do everything to score.

I was expecting 2017 Kassian to cause havoc for Hellebucyk and get under the Jet’s skin. He’s been invisible.

Hopefully Maurice outsmarts himself by trying to line match during game 3 and 4 and gets burned. He does better when line combos and line ups decisions are made for him (away games and injuries).

Last edited:

Munber1

Jun 5, 2011
for the next game, coach should probably tell the team to get ready to play 2 ways...reduce McDavid and Draisaitl ice time a bit, so they are rested and ready when they get on the ice...when McDavid and Draisaitl are on the ice, have supporting players ready to play offence with McDavid and Draisaitl...all the Oilers will be on the same page...less confusion, more cohesion...and when McDavid and Draisaitl are on the ice it'll be Jet's offense against Oiler's offense...just go for it and tell the players to make sure they don't screen Smith...also offence against offence could help McDavid to play inspired hockey...he is the best offensive player, right? when McDavid and Draisaitl are resting, the players on the ice focus on defense..forget about scoring and wait until a rested McDavid and Draisaitl are ready...won't matter if the Jets figure out what's going on...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Was hoping EDM would sweep the Jets so Paul Maurice would be fired. I’m baffled how the Jets have been able to clutch, grab and interfere their way to a 2-0 series lead.

Seems like all the Oilers players do is look to give 97 and 29 the puck and hope they do everything to score.

I was expecting 2017 Kassian to cause havoc for Hellebucyk and get under the Jet’s skin. He’s been invisible.

Hopefully Maurice outsmarts himself by trying to line match during game 3 and 4 and gets burned. He does better when line combos and line ups decisions are made for him (away games and injuries).
Clearly you have not been watching Kassian, let alone the Oilers, at all over the past few seasons.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Tippett is the same way in the playoffs. Every decision terrible. Being on the road "may" help the Oilers.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Last time I checked the Pens had some pretty loaded lineups with good to great depth on those SC teams. When you say Malkins line, consider who was on that line vs scrubs like Kahun and Yamamoto.

Yeah it's lost on people how good the teams assembled around Crosby and Malkin were. Somehow the narrative is that they were Crosby and Malkin vs the world.

That 08-09 team that first won the cup in Pittsburgh had the following guys on it;

Hossa, Guerin, Fedetenko, Dupuis, Kunitz, Staal, Satan, Sykora, and Talbot.

That's like if we took this Oilers squad and traded Pulju, Kass, Kahun, RNH, Neal, Chiasson, McLeod, and Yamamoto for Hall, Anderson, Toffoli, Pageau, Getzlaf, Schenn, Copp, and Vrana. Literally if you take Malkin and Crosby off those teams they had more aggregate talent at forward than this Oilers team has with Mcdavid and Draisaitl still on it. And it wasn't young talent, or even soft talent. Veteran grizzled talent that would win 90% of the puck battles against this Oilers squad without trying.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah it's lost on people how good the teams assembled around Crosby and Malkin were. Somehow the narrative is that they were Crosby and Malkin vs the world.

That 08-09 team that first won the cup in Pittsburgh had the following guys on it;

That's like if we took this Oilers squad and traded Pulju, Kass, Kahun, RNH, Neal, Chiasson, McLeod, and Yamamoto for Hall, Anderson, Toffoli, Pageau, Getzlaf, Schenn, Copp, and Vrana. Literally if you take Malkin and Crosby off those teams they had more aggregate talent at forward than this Oilers team has with Mcdavid and Draisaitl still on it. And it wasn't young talent, or even soft talent. Veteran grizzled talent that would win 90% of the puck battles against this Oilers squad without trying.

I agree with the general point but that's a bit exaggerated. Hossa wasn't on that team that year. They didn't have any superstar wingers but several of them were about .6 points per game. RNH was the only Oilers winger with that level of scoring. Jesse and Yama were closer to half that.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Ya, i wouldn't completely write Connor and Drai off yet but there's no doubt they've yet to consistently show they know how to ramp it up to playoff hockey mode (especially Connor). For me, it's not even so much that they haven't scored but more so that they just look like they don't really get it. They're not leaving me with even a sense that we're going to be ok because they're playing so well and controlling the play. If anything they leave me thinking, "split these guys up, because they are going to leak a glorious chance against and that'll be game over".

You'd think these guys were bleeding goals and chances by the way you're talking instead of tilting the ice almost completely in the other direction. Another data point against the eye test I guess.

Seriously people focusing on Leon and Connor when they've led the team to dominate the Jets over two one goal games they lost on fluke bounces need to quit watching hockey.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think he's matured enough that he can be not so much of a distraction and contribute on a team that has a long standing rep of a solid culture with strong leaders like Marchand and Bergy that know how to win and what it takes and keeps people in line and to buy in. Kudos to him for seemingly buying in for the time being. I think with a team like that, you buy in or you're in the pressbox and likely gone in the near future.

I love unfalsifiable narratives.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Hossa wasn’t on that team. Guys like Dupuis and Talbot were 20 some point players.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Hossa wasn’t on that team. Guys like Dupuis and Talbot were 20 some point players.

You're right about Hossa he was on the Pens the year before when they went to the finals and was on the Wings that year. My mistake.

You sell Talbot and Dupuis short. Talbot scored 28 points in 60 games that year with no PP time. Dupuis scored 38 points in 80 games that year, again no PP time.

In any case, the Pens that year scored 258 goals. Combined Crosby and Malkin only factored in on 132 of those goals (just over 51.1%). Compare that to the Oilers this year; 183 goals with Mcdavid alone factoring into 105 of them (over 56%, not including Draisaitl). Malkin and Crosby had faaar more run support than McDavid and Draisaitl do to the point where it's not even close.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You're right about Hossa he was on the Pens the year before when they went to the finals and was on the Wings that year. My mistake.

You sell Talbot and Dupuis short. Talbot scored 28 points in 60 games that year with no PP time. Dupuis scored 38 points in 80 games that year, again no PP time.

In any case, the Pens that year scored 258 goals. Combined Crosby and Malkin only factored in on 132 of those goals (just over 51.1%). Compare that to the Oilers this year; 183 goals with Mcdavid alone factoring into 105 of them (over 56%, not including Draisaitl). Malkin and Crosby had faaar more run support than McDavid and Draisaitl do to the point where it's not even close.
I think your looking at the wrong year. In 08-09 dupuis had 28 points in 71 games. Talbot had 22 points in 75 games.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I think your looking at the wrong year. In 08-09 dupuis had 28 points in 71 games. Talbot had 22 points in 75 games.

Yams this year had a projected 30 points. And it gets significantly worse from there. That Pens team had 7 forwards not named Malkin or Crosby with over 30 points. We have two who would hit that mark.

Guys like Fedetenko and Satan are afterthoughts on that club and they're both better than any winger we have.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You'd think these guys were bleeding goals and chances by the way you're talking instead of tilting the ice almost completely in the other direction. Another data point against the eye test I guess.

Seriously people focusing on Leon and Connor when they've led the team to dominate the Jets over two one goal games they lost on fluke bounces need to quit watching hockey.

They've leaked a fair amount of dangerous situations and chances against. They had some good possession but not too much I'd consider consistently very dangerous. You're likely looking at advanced analytics that are subjective to the data collector. My opinions differ from that of the subjective data collected.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yams this year had a projected 30 points. And it gets significantly worse from there. That Pens team had 7 forwards not named Malkin or Crosby with over 30 points. We have two who would hit that mark.

Guys like Fedetenko and Satan are afterthoughts on that club and they're both better than any winger we have.
Sort of. I mean we always one of Nuge or Drai on the wing and Jesse had a good year from a goal scoring perspective. I don’t disagree though. We need at least one more legit top 6 winger.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Sort of. I mean we always one of Nuge or Drai on the wing and Jesse had a good year from a goal scoring perspective. I don’t disagree though. We need at least one more legit top 6 winger.

That included Nuge on the wing.

We don't need one more legit top 6 winger, we need 3. And then we need an entire 3rd line, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00