Post-Game Talk: Chiasson sucks

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A completely different style of hockey though, and that is the problem. It is almost 2 different sports, and it 100% has 2 different set of rules. I can't stand playoff hockey personally, but others like it, so to each their own. But the reality is that if the team wants to win cups, they won't win 1 with this group of core players, barring a SIGNIFICANT amount of other players being added. But that won't be possible with the large salaries of these 2 players. Currently 26.6 M, or about 33% of the cap in 3 players that disappear in the playoffs, and can't play the style that wins in the playoffs. Gonna be hard to add players around them to make this team a cup contender.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would rather have an entertaining regular season team that doesn't win a cup, or a boring regular season/playoff team that wins a cup. Obviously the goal is to win a cup, but playoff hockey is SOOOOOO boring to watch. Clutch and grab and interfere, its just nauseating to watch. The regular season is a lot longer, and sports are supposed to be entertainment. Playoff hockey is not entertaining in the least, not to me anyhow.
It's still hockey.

You're overreacting to two games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's still hockey.

I mean their record in playins/playoffs under Tippett is now 1 win and 5 losses, that's not exactly great.

At this point it feels like winning a game will be like climbing Mount Everest.

They got owned by this trap/double-triple team McDavid setup by the Leafs mid-season and never really had any answer for it.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I mean their record in playins/playoffs under Tippett is now 1 win and 5 losses, that's not exactly great.

At this point it feels like winning a game will be like climbing Mount Everest.

They got owned by this trap/double-triple team McDavid setup by the Leafs mid-season and never really had any answer for it.
McDavid had 9 points in four games in the Chicago series. He's got 18 points in 19 games in his playoff career. It's a pretty big stretch to lie the blame at McDavid's feet when you're looking for reasons why they're not winning these series.

They're getting outscored 3-1 right now in actual goals.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid had 9 points in four games in the Chicago series. He's got 18 points in 19 games in his playoff career. It's a pretty big stretch to lie the blame at McDavid's feet when you're looking for reasons why they're not winning these series.

They're getting outscored 3-1 right now.

I'm not blaming him, I'm just saying this team cannot handle this level of hockey as presently constructed. Under Tippet they've lost basically 5/6 games that actually matter.

They are too predictable and easy to play against in a playoff series. Draisaitl is a great player, top 10 player, but he's not prime Malkin either, he can't drive offence without McDavid on the ice with him and if they're both on the same line then you can just focus entirely on that one line.

He was not great in the Chicago series and now that McDavid is being double teamed he's not doing much in terms of actual results this series. Their top 6 is not OK like you claimed it's being badly exposed. Focus all your attention on McDavid and the rest of the team is a no show, even really Draisaitl you don't have to worry that much about him on his own.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's still hockey.

But it's not really, not the same hockey. It is *significantly* different. The rulebook is 100% different at the very least. The type of player that has regular season success is not necessarily the same type that has playoff success. Our main player, the one that everything drives through, is tailor made for the regular season, and I almost couldn't think of a style that was less made for playoff hockey. I hate playoff hockey, DESPISE it, but to pretend that McDavid is made for playoff hockey is laughably wrong.

Drai doesn't have that excuse though, his game actually is made for playoff hockey, he has just been god-awful. McDavid at least has an excuse of sorts. It's not an excuse he can ever remediate, but it's an excuse nonetheless.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But it's not really, not the same hockey. It is *significantly* different. The rulebook is 100% different at the very least. The type of player that has regular season success is not necessarily the same type that has playoff success. Our main player, the one that everything drives through, is tailor made for the regular season, and I almost couldn't think of a style that was less made for playoff hockey. I hate playoff hockey, DESPISE it, but to pretend that McDavid is made for playoff hockey is laughably wrong.

Drai doesn't have that excuse though, his game actually is made for playoff hockey, he has just been god-awful. McDavid at least has an excuse of sorts. It's not an excuse he has ever remediate, but it's an excuse nonetheless.

The Oilers landing McDavid and Draisaitl is a miracle, they are extremely lucky to have both.

Having said *that*, they are not showing themselves as proficient in playoff hockey as Crosby and Malkin and for now don't deserve to be put on that same level. I think when given more help they will improve because teams won't be able to fixate entirely on 97, but for now it is what it is.

But also points to the Oilers management damn well better get to work at getting better help here. You don't have Crosby/Malkin (prime), it will be harder to bring a Cup here, so you better start getting to f***ing work on improving the roster. Your honeymoon is over Ken Holland. Put up or shut the f*** up.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Looking back on this game, I can't say anyone really had a "bad" game. Not too many mistakes were made, the only real fault that brought the team down was not capitalizing on the power play.

That needs to be figured out pronto. Everything else I was pretty much ok with.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Did you miss the part where it's a lot easier to key in on star players when you don't have anyone else to worry about?

As great as McDavid is, I don't think him continuing to carry almost 60% of the team's offence on his shoulders is sustainable.
In grand scheme I don’t disagree. In the present though they are capable of more and that’s what’s frustrating. They owned the league on the pp for years now. The team has limited Winnipeg to 3 goals in 2 games. They aren’t being asked to play better than usual. They just need to not be ghosts and we’d be up 2-0.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In grand scheme I don’t disagree. In the present though they are capable of more and that’s what’s frustrating. They owned the league on the pp for years now. The team has limited Winnipeg to 3 goals in 2 games. They aren’t being asked to play better than usual. They just need to not be ghosts and we’d be up 2-0.

I mean the Oilers have lost 5 playoff games out of 6 (I don't care about the semantic differences between playoffs and playins ... it's the same shit) now.

This "McDavid is 70% of the offence is going to take us far" clearly does not work in the playoffs.

Also Draisaitl, while a great player really needs to show he can do what Malkin does in Pittsburgh and score without needing to be stapled to Crosby.

I thought he proved it with that stretch with the DRY line, but now that they haven't been able to replicate that success or even close, I'm beginning to wonder if that was just a 25-30 game outlier.

Great player, top 10 player sure, but he's not the 2nd best player in the world if he can't do anything without McDavid. MacKinnon, Crosby, Malkin, even Matthews are able to score without always needing superstar linemates.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Did you miss the part where it's a lot easier to key in on star players when you don't have anyone else to worry about?

As great as McDavid is, I don't think him continuing to carry almost 60% of the team's offence on his shoulders is sustainable.
I agree on the point, but who are we keying in on in this series? They've got goals from Dominic Toninato, Tucker Poolman and Paul Stastny. I'm not certain two of those three make an Oilers roster as it currently stands.

I'm at a loss why guys like Neal, Turris, Kassian, Ennis, Chiasson or whomever turn into complete nothings offensively once they hit the bottom six of an Edmonton Oilers roster.

f***, go back further. Lucic, Strome, Pouliot... What's up with their gameplan? Why does our bottom six consistently find themselves at the mercy of other teams' depth lines?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
A completely different style of hockey though, and that is the problem. It is almost 2 different sports, and it 100% has 2 different set of rules. I can't stand playoff hockey personally, but others like it, so to each their own. But the reality is that if the team wants to win cups, they won't win 1 with this group of core players, barring a SIGNIFICANT amount of other players being added. But that won't be possible with the large salaries of these 2 players. Currently 26.6 M, or about 33% of the cap in 3 players that disappear in the playoffs, and can't play the style that wins in the playoffs. Gonna be hard to add players around them to make this team a cup contender.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would rather have an entertaining regular season team that doesn't win a cup, or a boring regular season/playoff team that wins a cup. Obviously the goal is to win a cup, but playoff hockey is SOOOOOO boring to watch. Clutch and grab and interfere, its just nauseating to watch. The regular season is a lot longer, and sports are supposed to be entertainment. Playoff hockey is not entertaining in the least, not to me anyhow.

Ya, i wouldn't completely write Connor and Drai off yet but there's no doubt they've yet to consistently show they know how to ramp it up to playoff hockey mode (especially Connor). For me, it's not even so much that they haven't scored but more so that they just look like they don't really get it. They're not leaving me with even a sense that we're going to be ok because they're playing so well and controlling the play. If anything they leave me thinking, "split these guys up, because they are going to leak a glorious chance against and that'll be game over".

And don't think that the rest of the team doesn't see that and it will affect them negatively too. If the best players are actually playing well and leading by example the rest of the lines start to follow their lead and play better as well. But when they see their leaders looking dicey out there and not really dominating or playing hard playoff hockey at all, it dampens their own spirit, energy and belief and thus affects their own play negatively.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree on the point, but who are we keying in on in this series? They've got goals from Dominic Toninato, Tucker Poolman and Paul Stastny. I'm not certain two of those three make an Oilers roster as it currently stands.

I'm at a loss why guys like Neal, Turris, Kassian, Ennis, Chiasson or whomever turn into complete nothings offensively once they hit the bottom six of an Edmonton Oilers roster.

f***, go back further. Lucic, Strome, Pouliot... What's up with their gameplan? Why does our bottom six consistently find themselves at the mercy of other teams' depth lines?

Because you need to be mentally tough as a role player to play on a team that has a McDavid on it. There's going to be lots of "yeah well this is McDavid's team, what do all these other guys do exactly, this is a 2 man team"

Too many mental midgets on this team lead by the king of mental midgetry ... Ryan Nugent Hopkins.

Starts from there and goes down the roster. The soft/weak "culture" the "supporting cast" this team has starts with RNH. He is not firey enough of a leader and shrinks in big games all the time, if you're a 3rd/4th liner looking at that you're going "well what can I do, if that guy making 6 million dollars isn't doing squat either".

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Because you need to be mentally tough as a role player to play on a team that has a McDavid on it. There's going to be lots of "yeah well this is McDavid's team, what do all these other guys do exactly, this is a 2 man team"

Too many mental midgets on this team lead by the king of mental midgetry ... Ryan Nugent Hopkins.

Starts from there and goes down the roster. The soft/weak "culture" the "supporting cast" this team has starts with RNH. He is not firey enough of a leader and shrinks in big games all the time, if you're a 3rd/4th liner looking at that you're going "well what can I do, if that guy making 6 million dollars isn't doing squat either".
You have a tendency of making incredibly weak points to mold conversations in a direction that allows you to direct negativity towards whomever you wish to throw shade at.

This is an example of you taking a quote about the team's bottom six and making it solely about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Seriously. Be a better poster.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I will just say I am not completely shocked and leave it at that. But I made my views going into the deadline what we should have done. For the holes we have, we will now go into UFA and pay. Larsson and Nuge, I can now see taking less money to stay and I can see a few players not resigned.

I have been unhappy for awhile with the rosters and will leave it like that. This fall we might see only playes on ELC on the 3rd and 4th line

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Yup, culture matters. Nice of you to see it. And yes, there is some lack of mental fortitude in the culture of this team. It was one of the 3 concerns I had going into this playoffs. I loved RNH and he is a highly skilled/talented player but he definitely lacks some mental and physical fortitude and that is part of the culture and character of a team. I hope they prove me wrong and win 4 of the next 5 games though.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
By most of the comments on here, seems like people expected the Jets to be a cakewalk.

This series is quite literally 2 bounces away from being 2-0 Edmonton. Through 6 periods, I'd say Edmonton has firmly controlled the play in 4 of them. And almost every measurable statistic will back this up. 22 HDSC for the Oilers and ONE goal? I mean that type of trend just doesn't continue over the long term, but can sink you in a small sample size like a 7 game series for sure.

Team definitely has holes. Not denying that. But I think the attitude on here is a little overly pessimistic. This series was always going to come down to a few bounces for either team. I still think it goes to 7. As per who wins, not sure really.

Team won't go anywhere deep until they learn how to score 5v5 though. Lots surprised by the non-calls in the playoffs. This is just how it goes. It will never change. So instead of complaining, just need to adapt.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'm not blaming him, I'm just saying this team cannot handle this level of hockey as presently constructed. Under Tippet they've lost basically 5/6 games that actually matter.

They are too predictable and easy to play against in a playoff series. Draisaitl is a great player, top 10 player, but he's not prime Malkin either, he can't drive offence without McDavid on the ice with him and if they're both on the same line then you can just focus entirely on that one line.

He was not great in the Chicago series and now that McDavid is being double teamed he's not doing much in terms of actual results this series. Their top 6 is not OK like you claimed it's being badly exposed. Focus all your attention on McDavid and the rest of the team is a no show, even really Draisaitl you don't have to worry that much about him on his own.
I don't see how Draisaitl not being prime malkin is even relevant. Nobody is.

He's a fine play driver. The problem is both Leon and Connor have nobody with any finishing touch on their lines. JP is getting better but they basically are the only ones who can finish consistently on the good chances they create.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't see how Draisaitl not being prime malkin is even relevant. Nobody is.

He's a fine play driver. The problem is both Leon and Connor have nobody with any finishing touch on their lines. JP is getting better but they basically are the only ones who can finish consistently on the good chances they create.
Having Kahun and a slumping Yamamoto as winger support has a massive impact on his ability to be a 'play-driver'. Same goes for RNH when he's expected to fill the role when Tippett decides to load the top line.

'Prime' Malkin would've been in well over his head had they been his supporting cast.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Yup, culture matters. Nice of you to see it. And yes, there is some lack of mental fortitude in the culture of this team. It was one of the 3 concerns I had going into this playoffs. I loved RNH and he is a highly skilled/talented player but he definitely lacks some mental and physical fortitude and that is part of the culture and character of a team. I hope they prove me wrong and win 4 of the next 5 games though.
Hmmm. You were harder than anyone on Hall. He’s doing pretty well now, so did his “culture” change?

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Having Kahun and a slumping Yamamoto as winger support has a massive impact on his ability to be a 'play-driver'. Same goes for RNH when he's expected to fill the role when Tippett decides to load the top line.

'Prime' Malkin would've been in well over his head had they been his supporting cast.

Prime Malkin would rip the game open with Ryan Potulny and Igor Ulanov (yes I know he was a D) as wingers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You have a tendency of making incredibly weak points to mold conversations in a direction that allows you to direct negativity towards whomever you wish to throw shade at.

This is an example of you taking a quote about the team's bottom six and making it solely about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Seriously. Be a better poster.

Sorry if you don't like the posts because I'm being a meanie to Nugent Hopkins but he is the ring leader of disappointing forwards for this club and when you're making 6 million dollars that comes with the territory.

Everyone knew he was going to be a no show in this series.

That filters down to other support players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Not anywhere to the degree you think it does. The Oilers will always have massive problems winning even a playoff round if they do not get McDavid tangible real help, not bull shit phonies like Ference.

If 1 player is like 65-70% of your offence any reasonably smart coach can pick that apart in a 7 game series and game plan for it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Prime Malkin would rip the game open with Ryan Potulny and Igor Ulanov (yes I know he was a D) as wingers.

Malkin won the Penguins a Cup with Petr Sykora as his winger. Crosby was mediocre in the 2009 Finals, Malkin won them that Cup.

Leon is a great player but we it may also be realistic to ask where is his production when not on the ice with McDavid. He had one good stretch in the Ducks series I think and then one stretch last year with DRY that they've come nowhere close to again.

Malkin delivers points no matter who his linemates are, he is as good as Crosby, maybe better honestly when he is on top of his game.

Leon needs to show more if he wants to be put in that tier, I'm not saying Leon is not a top 10 player, he is, but Malkin was a top 2/3 player that didn't need Crosby to generate offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad