Salary Cap: Chiarelli (for one day) saying & doing right

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Chiarelli's mistake is keeping a deep roster together in a league where the cap still isn't as high as it was for the 2012-13 season. It would be nice to not have Chris Kelly's $3 million on the books and I'm curious if they would have considered a compliance buy out if he were healthy but Chris Kelly really isn't terribly overpaid, Leo Komarov got nearly the exact same contract (with no NTC) yesterday.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I could see it, but who do you see getting? Or just a cap dump?

I have not really looked at it --just something I heard. I'm debating getting my Calgary connection to run it by the great moustache to see what he is hearing about it as he usually has multiple direct lines into Calgary's FO (or, at least, did before with Feaster).

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The truth is you are dead on correct with this post. Most here think we have the islander dynasty here but the truth is while the cup win is the most happy I have ever been as a fan....This team and management for that matter has under achieved.

I would say that...
RASK is over paid by 2(m) He has not earned 7 million yet. What has he done other then be outplayed in the biggest games.

MARCHAND-1-1.5 (M) Over paid plain and simple.

LUCIC-(2M). Love Looch but he is not a 6 million dollar player. He sells jersey though and management likes that.

Right there is like 5 or 5.5 million. Throw in Kelly and we could have 6-9 million to get the DMAN we sorely need at the top with Dougie.

Dave Bolland.....

355 NHL GP
78 Goals
102 Assists
180 Points
.507 points/game played
Played less than 35 games both of the last two seasons.

He's done a little better in the playoffs, but that was a few years ago.

Still, he just signed a 5 year $27.5M contract yesterday.

Would you trade Lucic straight up for Bolland? Marchand? He's in their price range.........

hubey

Nov 19, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Great post DKH.

I know some fans are upset that the Bruins have not made any moves but I still think the Bruins are as good as any team in the east.

I agree with your thoughts on the fourth line. Time for some youth to get a chance on that line. I love Thornton as he was a great leader for this team, but his time was up.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
Yeah....lets go back to the days when the Bruins wouldnt pay market value and even bring guys like Bourque to arbitration.

Yeah...them was the good old days ....they was.

GW, the 'yutes round these parts have some kinda short memories... actually if i had only one brush to paint with, it would be the one with the color of "Bruins fans are all delusional" and have no idea about how the business end of this all works.

But since I am positive and not allowed to speak my opinion any more I won't say that.

How ya doing Wally?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The biggest problem is they haven't drafted well overall. You need younger cheap players who can step in and play on the 3rd and 4th line. If some of these guys can step it up, this team will be fine.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Some other stupid GM's make stupid contracts and overpay a lot ... I mean, really, Bolland used to amaze me but should he even earn half of that money?

But are those players now a measuring stick or what?
Lucic is suddenly worth 6 million because Pouliot got a 4 million deal over 5 years?
The only time I saw Lucic being worth 6 million was during the playoffs in 2013.

I do believe some of our players are overpaid. Not by much, but they are. Rask, Marchand, Kelly, Lucic ... to name a few.

If you compare our contracts to the horrid ones out there in the league ... well then I guess 3 million for Kelly is amazing because someone else is paying 2.9 million for Engelland and yet another one is paying 5.5 million for Bolland.

Other ridicilous contracs don't magically turn the Bruins' contract to good ones.

Agree completely. However, one cannot ignore the fact that there are precedents set all over the league on a regular basis that put GM's trying to manage things well in a very difficult spot. Time and time again teams have proven that they don't have the discipline to spend wisely.

You are right that a ridiculous "precedent" (Bolland is a great example) does not suddenly make your bad contracts good, but it does have a tendency to drive the market into silly areas.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Yeah....lets go back to the days when the Bruins wouldnt pay market value and even bring guys like Bourque to arbitration.

Yeah...them was the good old days ....they was.

Thanks Wally, you just ruined my day. :laugh:

Only a few things made me madder than the day when Sinden/Jacobs took Bourque to arbitration.... still makes me shake my head.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
Glenn!
Great to 'see' you brother. Hope alls well!

All is great! Well, except that the Bruins probably won't win 15 games next year because the Chris Kelly, Brad Marchand and Adam McQuaid contract are killing the cap situation, and Chara is too old to be our #1, and Boychuk still makes big mstakes defensively and we let Shawn Thornton walk, and Iginla scored too may points last year and we have to pay overages, and Tuukka still isn't Tim Thomas and we have John Ferguson Jr on the staff, and our Ice Girls arenot as hot as the Panther's Ice Girls...

How are you?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
All is great! Well, except that the Bruins probably won't win 15 games next year because the Chris Kelly, Brad Marchand and Adam McQuaid contract are killing the cap situation, and Chara is too old to be our #1, and Boychuk still makes big mstakes defensively and we let Shawn Thornton walk, and Iginla scored too may points last year and we have to pay overages, and Tuukka still isn't Tim Thomas and we have John Ferguson Jr on the staff, and our Ice Girls arenot as hot as the Panther's Ice Girls...

How are you?

Doin' just fine.

yep. Typical Summah time here at dear old HF.
:laugh:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I knew even before I checked that it was Eric Wilbur. He is a troll who makes Shaughnessy look like a Pulitzer winner. Anyone who takes him seriously as a sports analyst should have his head examined.

I just read the bit in question and posted a query as to Wilbur's ways in the media thread.

So, as with Lambert, no clickie for him.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
How the hell does he hurt us off the ice?

Injuries. I know it's not his fault but he is very injury prone. Hurts our cap big time, coming on and off injuries. Being off and on LTIR. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Plus for what he brings to the table he's worth about 1.5 mill. Not 3.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Well, people can twist the Wilbur article into whatever they want, and the Bruins Board intelligentsia can shout down those who refuse to follow the party line, but the thrust of the article is accurate.

I, for one, am not comfortable with LE on our top line. Nor, do I get any satisfaction that we won the president's trophy. Nor do I think Chia has made the right calls with some $$ (and NTC) on some contracts. I'm certainly worried, too, about getting DK et al under contract next year. And, anyone who isn't concerned about Chara's declining mobility and the coaching staff's poor TOI management of him, puzzles me.

I don't think that Wilbur is axiomatically suggesting that Chia should have been as foolish as some GMs were yesterday. (Nor am I suggesting that he should have.) Rather, he appears to suggest that there's something amiss in the mindset of Chia and the Bruins braintrust. He's calling out Chia for his apparent view that, "We're good to go (absent maybe a minor tweaking)".

I think a lot of people are whistling past the graveyard here. Certainly, it's not all doom and gloom, we all get that. However, are we r-e-a-l-l-y good enough to win it all next year? In my view, the answer now is most definitely "No" and that we were better positioned last season. I'm not a "yute" but that's the situation as I view it.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Injuries. I know it's not his fault but he is very injury prone. Hurts our cap big time, coming on and off injuries. Being off and on LTIR. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Injury prone? He's had two major injuries in his career, both of which were due to a cheap shot. Before that he was basically as durable as any player on the team. It's not like he's Adam "checked himself into the net" McQuaid, who basically can injure himself with a sneeze.

member 96824

Dave Bolland.....

355 NHL GP
78 Goals
102 Assists
180 Points
.507 points/game played
Played less than 35 games both of the last two seasons.

He's done a little better in the playoffs, but that was a few years ago.

Still, he just signed a 5 year $27.5M contract yesterday.

Would you trade Lucic straight up for Bolland? Marchand? He's in their price range.........

One has to take into consideration Florida's motivation for giving someone that money

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
One has to take into consideration Florida's motivation for giving someone that money

Exactly. They had to spend to just reach the floor and needed roster players.

Imagine that kind of theam and what their motivation would be if any of our top players (Rask-Chara-Bergy-Krejci-Lucic-Marchand-Loui-Yeti-etc) would ever be on the market. They would all get more than their current contract.

Bruinfan5470

Feb 3, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Chris Bourque has signed with the Boston Bruins.
The terms of the agreement weren't immediately available. Bourque had a goal and four points in 18 games with Boston in 2013. After that he spent a season in Europe, recording 13 points in 21 Swiss league games and another two points in 11 KHL contests.
Source: Blueshirts United
Jul 2 - 11:07 AM

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
chris bourque has signed with the boston bruins.
The terms of the agreement weren't immediately available. Bourque had a goal and four points in 18 games with boston in 2013. After that he spent a season in europe, recording 13 points in 21 swiss league games and another two points in 11 khl contests.
Source: Blueshirts united
jul 2 - 11:07 am

gtfo..................

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Chris Bourque has signed with the Boston Bruins.
The terms of the agreement weren't immediately available. Bourque had a goal and four points in 18 games with Boston in 2013. After that he spent a season in Europe, recording 13 points in 21 Swiss league games and another two points in 11 KHL contests.
Source: Blueshirts United
Jul 2 - 11:07 AM

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/6418/rangers-agree-to-terms-with-chris-bourque

Bourque signed with the Rangers.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

I think you and the op need to re-evaluate your definition of hurting us off the ice.

Oh, and he's not injury prone..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad