Salary Cap: Chiarelli (for one day) saying & doing right

David Krejci*

They need to trade Spooner for another ready to make the jump winger.
Jeremy Morin would be absolutely perfect, but Teravainen might be too similar to Spooner for it to be worth it for Chicago.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Good read. Lots of good stuff...

But uhh...

Spooner or Koko centering the 4th line is never going to happen under Clode. Never.

I hate to say it, but there's more of a chance Spooner finds a spot by moving Krejci, then by centering Clode's 4th line - energy line.

It's not Bruins.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Hopefully Eriksson thrives on DK's wing, and then we let some of the youth fill out the bottom 6, whether it's Koko, Spooner, Fraser, etc.

Yeah, the Merlot era is over, but I'm not as worried about the 4th line as I am about having a strong 3rd line. It'll be 2/3 solid whether it's Kelly-Soda, or Paille-Soda, but if we end up with another Bourque/Caron experiment, we're diminished. Maybe Fraser will be the missing 3rd line wing, or maybe there will be a training camp invite. Or perhaps there are moves to come to address that hole.

Question: are either Spooner or Koko the type to be a 4th line C?

I have to agree that if Spooner is not going to be 4th line C, either he gets traded or they trade Soda and Spoons gets 3rd line C. I like Soda and would prefer to keep him - we know what he can do, and he may have a higher ceiling yet.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Im not a Kelly hater by any means, but there is no nobility in abstaining from compliance buyouts.

I don't really like the idea of compliance buyouts and its certainly let GM's off the hook that shouldn't be *cough*Holmgren*cough*, and certainly Kelly isn't even close to Bryz terrority, but the fact is they are there. And for a team thats supposed to be trying to get more "speed" and "skill" on those bottom lines, can't help but feel his space could've been better used on some more offensively talented players like Perreault or even Setoguchi (Ryder 2.0)

Aren't they done after this year? If the league hands you a couple get out of jail free cards and you don't use them, it doesn't really make you any more honorable than the Holmgrens of the world.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I understand the idea of trading from strength to improve on a weakness and I also understand that Koko's stock is quickly rising, but i just can't shake the feeling that trading Spooner would be a mistake. I know he has some improving to do but I just think he's so electrifying. I feel like one day it's just going to click for him and we're going to have something really special on our hands. I'd hate to see that moment come in another jersey.

I'd rather just keep Spooner and Koko and let them duke it out for a full time spot and try and add wingers by trading from our abundance of D.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Im not a Kelly hater by any means, but there is no nobility in abstaining from compliance buyouts.

I don't really like the idea of compliance buyouts and its certainly let GM's off the hook that shouldn't be *cough*Holmgren*cough*, and certainly Kelly isn't even close to Bryz terrority, but the fact is they are there. And for a team thats supposed to be trying to get more "speed" and "skill" on those bottom lines, can't help but feel his space could've been better used on some more offensively talented players like Perreault or even Setoguchi (Ryder 2.0)

Aren't they done after this year? If the league hands you a couple get out of jail free cards and you don't use them, it doesn't really make you any more honorable than the Holmgrens of the world.

Yeah, as we get pushed farther into a corner I come around to Kelly gone by any means.

Kelly -> Florek is just a hell of a lot less damaging than anything else.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's early and Dustin Penner is still out there- but so far Peter Chiarelli by accident or planned has had a great day. Color me shocked at the money being spent and wait until the 4th, 5th, or 6th years of some of these guys kick in. There better be buyouts available in a few years or one very high Cap. Benoit Pouliot money has to come back to bite Edmonton some time? right? Today's yield was like food shopping hungry, stoned, and with wad of cash on you and then looking in the bag to find out you may have cleaned out the chip and snack aisle- and your wallet.

This is about Boston though and if Chiarelli can resist yard sales and 5 Below and stick to what he said in the paper about the kids he could be very happy in a few months. Save your money Peter, after seeing what Statsny got you know if Krejci ever gets out there he is looking at $8 M. You will probably have to give him your 'man's word NMC and likely 6 or more years so if that's the way to go resist and let the Wild and Blues and Tampa Bay Lightning, and Florida Panthers spend away.

As for Boston being ascending down to the rest of the league after what I saw today the only thing ascending down will be a few teams to join our boys in Cap Hell and likely sooner rather than later.

I wanted Iginla to stay and he got one of the few contracts I could stomach today. The term is probably a year to long for Iggy, but he's in great shape, a proven scorer, good teammate, and to any kid coming up a legend you get to play with. All accounts he's a very nice man. So, yah, I would take him back and be happy. However, if Chiarelli can stick to his statements and go with a few of the kids I'll be happy because there is one an maybe two who I think can put a big dent in Iginla production, make the team younger, faster, even spunkier- even if it modifies the Bruins blueprint the past 6 years.

It all starts on the fourth line. The merlot line is dead. Its time to spruce up that place and get some young'uns with a resume heavy on the offense down there; and that means going with whichever one of your best prospects you believe in at center. I'm all for retaining Gregory Campbell but I'd make him a wing, five on five if paired with either Spooner or Khokhlachev. Campell can still take draws, be the defensive presence, but he can chip in by playing hard down low and going to the net, helping whichever one he is paired with.

Here is the tricky part. This team aint big enough for both of them and Spooner is ready- even if his 200 foot game isn't, his skill is. The Bruins coaching staff can work with him and having Doug Jarvis around is invaluable. I watched his entire career and he was as smart, tough, talented as you would find on a bottom 6. I hated the Habs but really liked the way this guy clogged lanes, thought the game and appreciated his skill level. He's not big but he is the NHL game played Iron Man and has 4 Stanley Cup rings. (my favorite thing about Jarvis is he was drafted 24th by the Maple Leafs who immediately traded him to Montreal for a hockey nobody). I trust either Ryan or Koko makes this opening night roster by Christmas will be playing an acceptable if not moreso 200 foot game if this guy is in charge.

The fourth line recent years has been good for about 25-30 goals; you put either one of these kids there and a winger with some offense they should be able to add 50% to that.

Watching both of these two in Providence it is my opinion that both are much better centers than wingers- neither has played much of it; and in Koko's stab at it, he last less than 5 periods and was benched and stuck back at center. But that is fine. The center is the most important offensive position and each of these kids has exceptional offensive ability. Khokhlachev is more a scorer, more a hound, more active, he's all over the place and he looks to make things happen. Ryan can skate and pass, more a playmaker, but he can shoot the puck quite well, and that would be something I would demand he put in his arsenal.

Koko could always go down and be first man up; Ryan to me is best up here or somewhere else. He needs to get his career going. He can play fourth line but also in your top two on the power play; just like Campbell can play fourth line and be in your top two on the Penalty kill and be very good.

You win down the middle in sports- and with Rask, the defense led by Chara and Seidenberg, and the emerging Hamilton and Krug, the Bruins are top 5 easy; a center group of

Krejci
Bergeron
Soderberg
Khokhlachev/Spooner

is pretty dynamic

I would be more happy to hear Peter Chiarelli to walk out and have a press conference and announce Ryan or Koko will be the fourth line center than we just signed Benoit Pouliot for $5 M or gave a 5/25 NTC to Matt Moulson (going to love that 5 M in his late 30's)

Great post

Sounded like Chia is thinking along the same lines as he did state on the official B`s site that there are some kids who are ready internally or will be given their chance

It never fails to amaze the $$ spent on average players. Pretty well known Tallon needed to spend just to reach the floor and I`ll suggest he ain`t done yet

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good read. Lots of good stuff...

But uhh...

Spooner or Koko centering the 4th line is never going to happen under Clode. Never.

I hate to say it, but there's more of a chance Spooner finds a spot by moving Krejci, then by centering Clode's 4th line - energy line.

It's not Bruins.

It does if Chia/Cam say it does;)

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
wow homerism...top 5 easy? doubt it. I would take the Kings, Hawks, Blues, Sharks, Ducks, Avs all ahead of the Bruins. The Bruins have no scorers. They have a lunchpail gang. Chara has been garbage the past 2 playoffs. Rask was beyond awful against the Habs. I am not so excited about this coming year. Unless Spooner or someone else steps in and surprises, there is no chance the Bruins come close to sniffing the cup. Nobody from the East stands a chance. All the top talent is in the West. Even the Stars have 2 top lines.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Here's what I posted in another thread here:

Now that I've had the chance to let it all sink in from yesterday's shopping spree Ive come to a conclusion that I hate.

Based on what yo yo GMs have established for market prices Boychuck is at least a 5 for 5 player come this time next year. I HATE the thought of losing him but am still concerned about our ability to compete without another top 6 forward. When I fact in the Seids will be back, that McQ hopefully will back, and that Dougie continues to grow, I think we move Boychuck + to fulfill that need. Again I dont like it. But like a colonoscopy, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

So, my thought is Boychuck + Kelly + pick/prospect for a bonafide RW that can fit in the budget. Let a kid fight for a D spot and center spot.

(I still cant believe I wrote this)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad