Salary Cap: Chiarelli (for one day) saying & doing right

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
are you watching the same Fraser as the rest of us? The best thing about him is that he has an NHL-quality shot. He needs to work on his skating, but his shot is terrific.

Lol, yeah, you're right. SKATING is what I should have put.

As I was reading a few scouting reports, he seems to be pegged as a Lucic light. Physical power forward with size and a decent shot. He might not have the tenacity of Lucic, but it seems they're in similar starting places with skating. That was a weak spot in Lucic's game at the beginning as well.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Chia has done a good job locking up his top tier players. But most teams who exist in a half way decent city do!

Where Chiarelli has failed is drafting. We watch top teams such as LA & Chicago let go of sturdy bottom 6 players so as not to overpay. Plugging in some impressive youth along the way. Continuing to win. Chiarelli has yet to make his mark thus far. With the exception of Krug (undrafted) & Miller, he's almost done zilch in regards to replenishing the big club. He overpays for role players (Kelly Peverly) & this is the result of that.

The team is still very strong & will compete for the East title. But it certainly took a step or two back.

I'm glad Koko & Spooner may finally get a shot, but I'm a little confused as to why Chiarelli hasn't made an attempt to parlay one (or both) into a comparable winger. He's never moving Bergeron, seems like he's loyal to Krejci (traded Seguin instead of Krejci), & Soderberg has a firm grasp on 3C (could potentially be the teams 2C). So why are we sitting here lamenting the loss of Iginla (which I think Chiarelli knew he would not be able to resign this season), yet have 2 center prospects who are ready to get their feet wet yet there's no place for either of them?? I don't understand his line of thinking.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
That's not hurting us off the ice.

Off the ice = away from the rink... :help::shakehead
Really just semantics. Kelly's contract is definitely the worst on the team but honestly at this point I feel like Chia is planning on keeping him. However, if we end up needing to clear additional salary, he almost certainly will be the odd man out.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
The truth is you are dead on correct with this post. Most here think we have the islander dynasty here but the truth is while the cup win is the most happy I have ever been as a fan....This team and management for that matter has under achieved.

I would say that...
RASK is over paid by 2(m) He has not earned 7 million yet. What has he done other then be outplayed in the biggest games.

MARCHAND-1-1.5 (M) Over paid plain and simple.

LUCIC-(2M). Love Looch but he is not a 6 million dollar player. He sells jersey though and management likes that.

Right there is like 5 or 5.5 million. Throw in Kelly and we could have 6-9 million to get the DMAN we sorely need at the top with Dougie.

Are you doing this on purpose?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Well, people can twist the Wilbur article into whatever they want, and the Bruins Board intelligentsia can shout down those who refuse to follow the party line, but the thrust of the article is accurate.

I, for one, am not comfortable with LE on our top line. Nor, do I get any satisfaction that we won the president's trophy. Nor do I think Chia has made the right calls with some $$ (and NTC) on some contracts. I'm certainly worried, too, about getting DK et al under contract next year. And, anyone who isn't concerned about Chara's declining mobility and the coaching staff's poor TOI management of him, puzzles me.

I don't think that Wilbur is axiomatically suggesting that Chia should have been as foolish as some GMs were yesterday. (Nor am I suggesting that he should have.) Rather, he appears to suggest that there's something amiss in the mindset of Chia and the Bruins braintrust. He's calling out Chia for his apparent view that, "We're good to go (absent maybe a minor tweaking)".

I think a lot of people are whistling past the graveyard here. Certainly, it's not all doom and gloom, we all get that. However, are we r-e-a-l-l-y good enough to win it all next year? In my view, the answer now is most definitely "No" and that we were better positioned last season. I'm not a "yute" but that's the situation as I view it.

Clode + Rask = shot at the Cup.

Adding our core guys to the Clode (system) and Rask foundation will always give us a potential Stanley Cup brew. Gotta let it perk over the course of a season to see how guys mesh...final factor...the kids could "pop"...

It could come together.

I'll be confident and ready to see how it turns out Game 1 of 82.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Really just semantics. Kelly's contract is definitely the worst on the team but honestly at this point I feel like Chia is planning on keeping him. However, if we end up needing to clear additional salary, he almost certainly will be the odd man out.

Your missing the point I was making.

Bearcrap

Jan 29, 2004
Pembroke
The truth is you are dead on correct with this post. Most here think we have the islander dynasty here but the truth is while the cup win is the most happy I have ever been as a fan....This team and management for that matter has under achieved.

I would say that...
RASK is over paid by 2(m) He has not earned 7 million yet. What has he done other then be outplayed in the biggest games.

LUCIC-(2M). Love Looch but he is not a 6 million dollar player. He sells jersey though and management likes that.

Right there is like 5 or 5.5 million. Throw in Kelly and we could have 6-9 million to get the DMAN we sorely need at the top with Dougie.

:handclap: You are 100% correct……..but unfortunately half of the posters on this board are looking through their black & gold sunglasses and can't accept the truth.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Keep an eye on a possible trade with the Flames.

Colt, when it comes to the Dub, you dah man. Maybe I am wrong here, but the Bruins had a shot a damn good tough and skilled RIGHT HANDED POWER WINGER last year and passed to take Malcom Subban. If his last name wasn't Samuelsson or better yet if his old man wasn't Ulf, I wonder if this would not have been the pick.

Henrik Samuelsson looks like everything Boston needs based on his skills, size, and position. It would suck if this was the case and I bet if he was there in round 2 and was the best player available they pass. I can certainly understand Neely being bitter because I witnessed it all and had season tickets thru it all and got deprived of the best combo power forward I have ever seen- Neely was that good. But it would suck if his name was not on the board not because he's a bad kid but his old man

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Colt, when it comes to the Dub, you dah man. Maybe I am wrong here, but the Bruins had a shot a damn good tough and skilled RIGHT HANDED POWER WINGER last year and passed to take Malcom Subban. If his last name wasn't Samuelsson or better yet if his old man wasn't Ulf, I wonder if this would not have been the pick.

Henrik Samuelsson looks like everything Boston needs based on his skills, size, and position. It would suck if this was the case and I bet if he was there in round 2 and was the best player available they pass. I can certainly understand Neely being bitter because I witnessed it all and had season tickets thru it all and got deprived of the best combo power forward I have ever seen- Neely was that good. But it would suck if his name was not on the board not because he's a bad kid but his old man

I'm with you DKH.

That said I can understand Neely if this indeed were the case. Samuelson, despite having good size, took endless cheap runs at Neely starting in Hartford. Yet he routinely and consistently refused to man up and deal with Neely, despite playing in an era when answering the bell was not only condoned but essentially required. Instead Ulfie cowered, turtled, and ran.

Still he got his pound of flesh in the end with a cheapshot that drastically shortened the career of arguably one of the best power forwards in NHL history -- let alone Bruins history.

Neely was and is the epitome of class. Samuelson is the epitome of crap. I despise him. If the price of that is passing on a player that could help Boston I can live with that. Principles sometimes come at a cost. I have some "customers" who I refuse to do business with because they are no good. Undoubtedly it hurts my bank account, but I sleep ok at night.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

And you're the one that say Bruins fan should root for more than just laundry?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I would say that...

Love to see what Looch/Rask and Marchand would get on the open market

freaking Grabovski just got 5 million:amazed:

No argument that Kelly`s 3 mill is an issue but when it comes to this summer`s top UFA`s, when were yakking about Stastny as being one of the coveted one`s, ya know it`s a weak class

Nice player, hardly an elite guy

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Love to see what Looch/Rask and Marchand would get on the open market

freaking Grabovski just got 5 million:amazed:

No argument that Kelly`s 3 mill is an issue but when it comes to this summer`s top UFA`s, when were yakking about Stastny as being one of the coveted one`s, ya know it`s a weak class

Nice player, hardly an elite guy

You aren't the first to point this out, ODAAT, but some either can't or don't want to understand.

I do find some grim amusement at imagining the feeding frenzy if Lucic or Rask reached FA. Something like a school of white sharks. :laugh:

Jeff from Maine

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Holy crap...if you're coming back, I'm coming back.

A breath of fresh air could do. This place smells like sheep poop and bull ****.

Haha!

I must admit, I initially came back to just "lurk", as I wanted to see how many mental health professionals registered accounts here in the last few days.

I figured that area bridges would be filled with Chia-Haters and those who are hunkered down as the sky falls all around them...as they peer over the railings at the abyss looming below.

I have to say that say that I was not disappointed.

This has energize me like nothing else could! LOL

Later

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad