Salary Cap: Chiarelli (for one day) saying & doing right

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
different GM no?

I could see Burkie being more interested in McQuaid, Camara, Campbell, Kelly

And the only one of those that should be moved is Kelly. Camara if you get a third line banger for him but the flames won't deal toughness (despite my hope for McGrattan)

Hopefully Burke loses his mind and deals Glencross and a pick for Eriksson.

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
I think that Krug and Smith can only negotiate with the Bruins.

This was my big revelation from yesterday, as I understood it.

:huh:

Why?

And you will not find an answer to that question.

Sorry to break it to you, but you think wrong. Only difference between Krug and Smith and unrestricted free agents is that the Bruins have the option to match a contract or let them walk and be compensated.

Pretty sure he's right, actually. It was covered in the conference call yesterday.

Matt Kalman said:
Chiarelli also made a distinction about Smith/Krug. They are not traditional RFA. They are entry-level FA. Can't talk to other teams.

Capgeek said:
@TheBruinsBlog @GumbleTwoGumble Standard application of 10.2 (c) of the CBA: Players With Fewer Than Three Years of Professional Experience.

Matt Kalman said:
This is the key point about Smith/Krug from CBA:"Club which makes this Qual, Offer will have exclusive right to negotiate with Player."

I could be misinterpreting this, but it sounds cut and dry to me.

Also, love the post Dan. Still bummed about yesterday, I've been pining for Iginla on this team for years, been a favorite of mine for years, and now that we got him, he's gone in what seems like no time at all. But this makes me feel a bit more optimistic, we really aren't in as bad a place as many here suggest, and we'll be right back in the thick of it next year. Only next year may not have quite a bright spotlight on us nationally as this past one did with the Presidents Trophy and all, which should be a good thing.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Zack Kassian is an RFA, what would he cost in trade assets and what kind of salary would he command moving forward. I'm not really sure if the Nucks are still high on him but he could be a good third line fit.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Zack Kassian is an RFA, what would he cost in trade assets and what kind of salary would he command moving forward. I'm not really sure if the Nucks are still high on him but he could be a good third line fit.

Whats the love affair with Kassian?

He's terrible.

GForce128

Feb 14, 2012
Colchester, VT

Why?

Chiarelli mentioned that they were a special case of RFA in his presser yesterday where the Bruins still have exclusive rights. I'll won't go into the details of the CBA section mentioned in the twitter conversation I linked below.

Simply put, since Krug and Smith didn't have 10 pro games in their first year of their ELC they don't get the normal RFA status.

Matt Kalman
‏@TheBruinsBlog

Chiarelli also made a distinction about Smith/Krug. They are not traditional RFA. They are entry-level FA. Can't talk to other teams.

GForce128

Feb 14, 2012
Colchester, VT
This was my big revelation from yesterday, as I understood it.

Pretty sure he's right, actually. It was covered in the conference call yesterday.

I could be misinterpreting this, but it sounds cut and dry to me.

Also, love the post Dan. Still bummed about yesterday, I've been pining for Iginla on this team for years, been a favorite of mine for years, and now that we got him, he's gone in what seems like no time at all. But this makes me feel a bit more optimistic, we really aren't in as bad a place as many here suggest, and we'll be right back in the thick of it next year. Only next year may not have quite a bright spotlight on us nationally as this past one did with the Presidents Trophy and all, which should be a good thing.

Looks like you beat me to this, I looked at the CBA and can confirm it it's the case.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

You are correct sir

Why?

I will though

Sorry to break it to you, but you think wrong. Only difference between Krug and Smith and unrestricted free agents is that the Bruins have the option to match a contract or let them walk and be compensated.

Wrong

Chiarelli mentioned that they were a special case of RFA in his presser yesterday where the Bruins still have exclusive rights. I'll won't go into the details of the CBA section mentioned in the twitter conversation I linked below.

Simply put, since Krug and Smith didn't have 10 pro games in their first year of their ELC they don't get the normal RFA status.

Matt Kalman
‏@TheBruinsBlog

...and if they won't take Chiarelli's word, here's the actual section of the CBA

Players With Fewer Than Three Years of Professional Experience.

Any Player with fewer than the required years of professional experience set forth in Section 10.2 shall have no right to Free Agency except as provided in this section. Upon expiration of such a Player's SPC, the Club to whom the Player was last under SPC shall be entitled to make that Player a Qualifying Offer under the terms and conditions set forth in Section 10.2(a)(ii) above. A Club which makes this Qualifying Offer will have the exclusive right to negotiate with any such Player. In the event no such Qualifying Offer is made, the Player shall immediately become an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Section 10.2(a)(iv)
above.

Page 30, Section 10.2 (c) of the CBA http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Does anyone know how Griffith's development is coming along? Is he even close to battling for a spot? I really like his game. That being said, Koko, is a battler. He seems like the kind of young blood, Chia and Co will give a real chance to succeed this year. If there are no wingers with as much upside as Spooner and Koko or no trades to be made, I would platoon both centers between 3rd line wing and 4th line center until something clicks. I will be a little frustrated if players like Matt Fraser and Justin Florek get harder looks like Koko and Spoons.

In my opinion, in the one game Koko played for the Bruins this year, he showed me more than in the 20 or so I've seen of Spooner. He won faceoffs, took the body, was strong in the corners, and made things happen. That being said, Spooner is fast, and we need that speed this year...

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
McGrattan :handclap::yo::banana::banana::banana:

and maybe Colborne & Wideman!! :handclap:

seriously though; besides Glencross, no idea what we would be looking at in Calgary.

I do really like the idea of flipping Spooner for an equally ready right handed winger; we are terribly short on those. And I still think we have to trade Adam McQuaid for space; and maybe Kelly, but I don't think that's happening anymore.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
and maybe Colborne & Wideman!! :handclap:

seriously though; besides Glencross, no idea what we would be looking at in Calgary.

I do really like the idea of flipping Spooner for an equally ready right handed winger; we are terribly short on those. And I still think we have to trade Adam McQuaid for space; and maybe Kelly, but I don't think that's happening anymore.

BC boy Gaudreau wouldn't be a bad flip- he certainly doesn't fill Burke's ideal model either.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
The best thing I took from yesterday was Chia didn't break up the core to keep an older/aging Iggy on team.

Will be able to plug in another top 9 winger. If we can't, I'm sure Louie can do a decent job until the deadline, where we can add another winger then. (Like the Jagr deal in the past)

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
You are correct sir

I will though

Wrong

...and if they won't take Chiarelli's word, here's the actual section of the CBA

Page 30, Section 10.2 (c) of the CBA http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Thank you for the clarification.

Looks like Chiarelli is not in as tight a bind (still tight) as it initially appeared if he has the hammer with his two key RFAs.

Now can he get Smith & Krug to take team-friendly bridge deals or does he play hardball and possibly trade one of them?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Jumped right to the last page, so if this has already been posted, my apologies. Note that Chia says he's in on two potential deals, and his remarks about interest in B's D:

It seems Plan A is for Loui Eriksson, a left shot, to move into Iginla’s right wing spot on the first line with Krejci and Lucic.

“I’m really comfortable with that,†Chiarelli said. “It’s a different look, but he’s a very smart player and a very good two-way player. I’ve talked with (Krejci) about it, and he welcomes it.â€

Chiarelli said he’s involved in trade talks to acquire a top-nine forward, focusing right now on two possibilities. He noted the B’s, assuming Dennis Seidenberg and Adam McQuaid will be healthy and counting David Warsofsky, have nine NHL defensemen. He knows he’ll have to move one.

“You saw what the prices were like (yesterday) for defensemen,†said Chiarelli, alluding to some hefty free agent deals. “I’ve had teams caling about our ‘D’ since the day we lost. Teams want our ‘D.’

“Trades happen. Sometimes they stretch longer than July 1. I’m in on a couple. I don’t know if they’ll happen. We’ll keep pecking at them. We’ll sign someone to fill that (forward) role, whether it’s from within or maybe through a trade.â€

There also could be opportunities for two or three young forwards to move up from Providence (AHL) and gain big league jobs.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Here's what I posted in another thread here:

Now that I've had the chance to let it all sink in from yesterday's shopping spree Ive come to a conclusion that I hate.

Based on what yo yo GMs have established for market prices Boychuck is at least a 5 for 5 player come this time next year. I HATE the thought of losing him but am still concerned about our ability to compete without another top 6 forward. When I fact in the Seids will be back, that McQ hopefully will back, and that Dougie continues to grow, I think we move Boychuck + to fulfill that need. Again I dont like it. But like a colonoscopy, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

So, my thought is Boychuck + Kelly + pick/prospect for a bonafide RW that can fit in the budget. Let a kid fight for a D spot and center spot.

(I still cant believe I wrote this)

I can't either, especially the part about moving Boychuk. I'd move McQ before I'd move #55.

And while I'm optimistic that Seidenmoose will return there are no guarantees he'll be the same player he was before blowing the knee.

You've always said it yourself GW- goaltending & defense wins championships. I worry more about the D situation than I do the top 6.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Here's what I posted in another thread here:

Now that I've had the chance to let it all sink in from yesterday's shopping spree Ive come to a conclusion that I hate.

Based on what yo yo GMs have established for market prices Boychuck is at least a 5 for 5 player come this time next year. I HATE the thought of losing him but am still concerned about our ability to compete without another top 6 forward. When I fact in the Seids will be back, that McQ hopefully will back, and that Dougie continues to grow, I think we move Boychuck + to fulfill that need. Again I dont like it. But like a colonoscopy, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

So, my thought is Boychuck + Kelly + pick/prospect for a bonafide RW that can fit in the budget. Let a kid fight for a D spot and center spot.

(I still cant believe I wrote this)

I keep coming back to the question of who would be important to the team in the next 4-5 years; Boychuck or Seidenberg. I'm leaning Boychuck, in part because he's more durable and has brought more in the playoffs than Seidenberg- but its tough.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
You actually think Johnny Boy has brought more to the table then Seids?

I feel Seids was able to make Chara a better shutdown dman....Boychuk is more of a complementary top 4, but still makes too many mistakes for my liking.

It'll be tough to see Johnny Boy leave if that's the case.

Dude is a warrior and played thru so many injuries.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Great seeing boychuck's name thrown in there about "important guys he's got to sign"

It sure seems like some center has to give. There are 4 slots and 5 guys who need to play there realistically - Bergeron, Krejci, Soderberg, spooner and koko. Campbell and Kelly can shift to the wing easy enough. If Bergeron weren't the god he is I'd say try him back on the wing where he scored 30 goals before he could drink.
I wonder though what the long term plan is with Soderberg. I don't know if they see him as part of the "must sign" core - he won't be cheap and he could draw a pretty good return I'd imagine.

If they can't get the wing prospect they like for koko/spooner maybe Soderberg could be the guy who gets moved. Or maybe they ride out his deal and hope for the best.

I think they keep Soderberg because he appears to be a very effective third line center and he's cheap. I'm not particularly agitating to move Spooner for a right wing, but that may be an option.

bosbruin

Apr 18, 2006
Massachusetts
Real reason for Cap jail?

I know this will ruffle some feathers, but in my opinion this is a big part of why Chiarelli has put the Bruins in Cap jail.

Bergeron, Patrice » $6,500,000
Lucic, Milan » $6,000,000
Krejci, David » $5,250,000
Marchand, Brad » $4,500,000
Chara, Zdeno » $6,916,667
Rask, Tuukka » $7,000,000

Let me state that I love Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Chara and Rask as much as the next guy and we can't win without them, but in my opinion no one is worthy of this kind of money to play sports. If you took 1 million from each of these players you'd add 6 million of potential payroll. When will these crazy contracts end?:shakehead

I know I'm going to take some major hits for my opinion, but this is how I feel. The only good thing may be that the Cap should go up next year. Hopefully the B's can figure something out.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
What put them in cap jail was crap drafting for a few years. Up until 2012 they always utilized an elc in their top 9 to save on the cap. Lucic, Marchand, krejci, kessel, seguin, etc.

After the cup run they had no elc's to plug the holes on the 3rd line so they had to overpay for Kelly and pevs. Now they have some help but no sure think elc to
Plug in the top 6.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
So you want to go back to the days where we iced a team full of Kovalenko's, Czerkawskis and D.Widemans?

Nothing wrong with that core group and what they are paid.

You can make an argument for each player (exception of Marchand and probably DK) that they are a top 5 player at there position....we have to fill in those other positions with ELC and will be fine.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I don't really see the point of this post.

Look at the contracts given out today, Dave Bolland was paid 5.5M a year, a guy who has only played like 60 games over the past 2 seasons and has a career high 47 points (with a career average of around 35 points per season).

Thats 1M more than Marchand, 250k more than Krejci, only 500k and 1M more than Bergeron/Lucic.

All our players are actually on great contracts in my opinion, Chara's term is a little worrying but Chia has done a very good job extending our core to contracts well below market value.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00