Salary Cap: Chiarelli (for one day) saying & doing right

bosoxmrkn

Dec 1, 2009
Stratham, NH
www.eashlforum.com
Chris Bourque has signed with the Boston Bruins.
The terms of the agreement weren't immediately available. Bourque had a goal and four points in 18 games with Boston in 2013. After that he spent a season in Europe, recording 13 points in 21 Swiss league games and another two points in 11 KHL contests.
Source: Blueshirts United
Jul 2 - 11:07 AM

If by Bruins you mean NY Rangers...

If PC can manage to move Kelly and McQuaid for picks and prospects.. and sign Smith and Krug for 2-2.5m to 1 year deals we could easily have some cap space left for the odds and ends needed during the season.. I don't expect any new additions to the Bruins roster.:

FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Reilly Smith ($2.000m)
Matt Fraser ($0.750m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Ryan Spooner ($0.760m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Matt Lindblad ($0.834m)
Justin Florek ($0.750m) / Jordan Caron ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m)
Torey Krug ($2.500m) / Kevan Miller ($0.800m)
Matt Bartkowski ($0.715m) /

GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)

LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)

BONUS OVERAGE
$4,779,500
------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,624,083; BONUSES: $801,250
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,375,917

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Chia couldn't sell Florida on Kelly at only 3 million? with all those bad deals they gave out yesterday, Kelly looks like a bargain.

As has been speculated 'pre nup' is part of the deal to get current players to sign early and below market or projected market. Job security to these guys who like the place and team and have young children in some cases.

This team/city/NMC/no buyout-waiver is likely 'the juicy bait' Chiarelli will put on the hook to keep David Krejci hear for about $7 - 7.5 M for a handful of years. Maybe even Johnny as well.

Toss Johnny the Seids deal with the Chia signature NMC guarantee no waiver and buyout and maybe he sticks around

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
GW, the 'yutes round these parts have some kinda short memories... actually if i had only one brush to paint with, it would be the one with the color of "Bruins fans are all delusional" and have no idea about how the business end of this all works.

But since I am positive and not allowed to speak my opinion any more I won't say that.

How ya doing Wally?

Any plans to bring back the hockey show? Pretty please?

Bruinfan5470

Feb 3, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
If by Bruins you mean NY Rangers...

If PC can manage to move Kelly and McQuaid for picks and prospects.. and sign Smith and Krug for 2-2.5m to 1 year deals we could easily have some cap space left for the odds and ends needed during the season.. I don't expect any new additions to the Bruins roster.:

FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Reilly Smith ($2.000m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Matt Lindblad ($0.834m)
Justin Florek ($0.750m) / Jordan Caron ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m)
Torey Krug ($2.500m) / Kevan Miller ($0.800m)
Matt Bartkowski ($0.715m) /

GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)

LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)

BONUS OVERAGE
$4,779,500
------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,624,083; BONUSES: $801,250
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,375,917

Not my mistake it was posted that way on another Sports News website, I found out it was wrong a few minutes after I posted it here.

bosoxmrkn

Dec 1, 2009
Stratham, NH
www.eashlforum.com

that line has the potential to be the bargain of the century!

I hope your not just feigning excitement!

I have my hesitations... but I like the versatility this line might be able to bring, and the hunger those 2 wingers might bring as well... and if one falters, you've got Koko and Knight ready to jump in.. There's no reason 2 of those 4 guys shouldn't be on the 3rd line to start the season.

Jeff from Maine

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's early and Dustin Penner is still out there- but so far Peter Chiarelli by accident or planned has had a great day. Color me shocked at the money being spent and wait until the 4th, 5th, or 6th years of some of these guys kick in. There better be buyouts available in a few years or one very high Cap. Benoit Pouliot money has to come back to bite Edmonton some time? right? Today's yield was like food shopping hungry, stoned, and with wad of cash on you and then looking in the bag to find out you may have cleaned out the chip and snack aisle- and your wallet.

This is about Boston though and if Chiarelli can resist yard sales and 5 Below and stick to what he said in the paper about the kids he could be very happy in a few months. Save your money Peter, after seeing what Statsny got you know if Krejci ever gets out there he is looking at $8 M. You will probably have to give him your 'man's word NMC and likely 6 or more years so if that's the way to go resist and let the Wild and Blues and Tampa Bay Lightning, and Florida Panthers spend away.

As for Boston being ascending down to the rest of the league after what I saw today the only thing ascending down will be a few teams to join our boys in Cap Hell and likely sooner rather than later.

I wanted Iginla to stay and he got one of the few contracts I could stomach today. The term is probably a year to long for Iggy, but he's in great shape, a proven scorer, good teammate, and to any kid coming up a legend you get to play with. All accounts he's a very nice man. So, yah, I would take him back and be happy. However, if Chiarelli can stick to his statements and go with a few of the kids I'll be happy because there is one an maybe two who I think can put a big dent in Iginla production, make the team younger, faster, even spunkier- even if it modifies the Bruins blueprint the past 6 years.

It all starts on the fourth line. The merlot line is dead. Its time to spruce up that place and get some young'uns with a resume heavy on the offense down there; and that means going with whichever one of your best prospects you believe in at center. I'm all for retaining Gregory Campbell but I'd make him a wing, five on five if paired with either Spooner or Khokhlachev. Campell can still take draws, be the defensive presence, but he can chip in by playing hard down low and going to the net, helping whichever one he is paired with.

Here is the tricky part. This team aint big enough for both of them and Spooner is ready- even if his 200 foot game isn't, his skill is. The Bruins coaching staff can work with him and having Doug Jarvis around is invaluable. I watched his entire career and he was as smart, tough, talented as you would find on a bottom 6. I hated the Habs but really liked the way this guy clogged lanes, thought the game and appreciated his skill level. He's not big but he is the NHL game played Iron Man and has 4 Stanley Cup rings. (my favorite thing about Jarvis is he was drafted 24th by the Maple Leafs who immediately traded him to Montreal for a hockey nobody). I trust either Ryan or Koko makes this opening night roster by Christmas will be playing an acceptable if not moreso 200 foot game if this guy is in charge.

The fourth line recent years has been good for about 25-30 goals; you put either one of these kids there and a winger with some offense they should be able to add 50% to that.

Watching both of these two in Providence it is my opinion that both are much better centers than wingers- neither has played much of it; and in Koko's stab at it, he last less than 5 periods and was benched and stuck back at center. But that is fine. The center is the most important offensive position and each of these kids has exceptional offensive ability. Khokhlachev is more a scorer, more a hound, more active, he's all over the place and he looks to make things happen. Ryan can skate and pass, more a playmaker, but he can shoot the puck quite well, and that would be something I would demand he put in his arsenal.

Koko could always go down and be first man up; Ryan to me is best up here or somewhere else. He needs to get his career going. He can play fourth line but also in your top two on the power play; just like Campbell can play fourth line and be in your top two on the Penalty kill and be very good.

You win down the middle in sports- and with Rask, the defense led by Chara and Seidenberg, and the emerging Hamilton and Krug, the Bruins are top 5 easy; a center group of

Krejci
Bergeron
Soderberg
Khokhlachev/Spooner

is pretty dynamic

I would be more happy to hear Peter Chiarelli to walk out and have a press conference and announce Ryan or Koko will be the fourth line center than we just signed Benoit Pouliot for $5 M or gave a 5/25 NTC to Matt Moulson (going to love that 5 M in his late 30's)

DKH...you remain my hero!

Good post dude.

Later

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Amazingly horrible deals the first day. The correlation to yesterday's signings and GM tenures would make an interesting math / stat thesis in about 24 months.

Anyhow, agree with some roster tinkering (McQuaid, maybe Kelly) and getting Smith and Krug on 2M bridge deals they can still ice a very good team with more speed and spunk and have the $ to extend just about the whole core next year after the perf bonuses come back to earth.

Chia needs to stand pat, find a decent landing spot for McQuaid and Kelly and let the yutes earn their stripes early in the season. They won't be the best team in the NHL but will still be top tier of the East and have a chance every single night.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Short memories. Or no memories at all.

You wouldn't find Sinden overpaying guys, by gum. Those were the best of times.

How soon people forget eh Wally? :shakehead

After thinking about it, I dont know if some of those posting some of these things actually lived through the 80's and 90's and were old enough to remember.

I leave out the 70's because my memory can be foggy.....but that had nothing to do with the Bruins.
:laugh:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
:huh:

Why?

And you will not find an answer to that question.

You are correct sir

I will though

Wrong

...and if they won't take Chiarelli's word, here's the actual section of the CBA

"Players With Fewer Than Three Years of Professional Experience.

Any Player with fewer than the required years of professional experience set forth in Section 10.2 shall have no right to Free Agency except as provided in this section. Upon expiration of such a Player's SPC, the Club to whom the Player was last under SPC shall be entitled to make that Player a Qualifying Offer under the terms and conditions set forth in Section 10.2(a)(ii) above. A Club which makes this Qualifying Offer will have the exclusive right to negotiate with any such Player. In the event no such Qualifying Offer is made, the Player shall immediately become an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Section 10.2(a)(iv)
above. "

Page 30, Section 10.2 (c) of the CBA http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

:cry:

Slap a skirt on me and call me Sally...

At almost 65 (next Sunday), I still learn something new once in a while.

Very strange that they're "free agents" (restricted or otherwise) but are not free to get a deal from another deal.

"Here you go, you are free, but these are the shackles you'll need to wear if we choose..."

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
It's early and Dustin Penner is still out there- but so far Peter Chiarelli by accident or planned has had a great day. Color me shocked at the money being spent and wait until the 4th, 5th, or 6th years of some of these guys kick in. There better be buyouts available in a few years or one very high Cap. Benoit Pouliot money has to come back to bite Edmonton some time? right? Today's yield was like food shopping hungry, stoned, and with wad of cash on you and then looking in the bag to find out you may have cleaned out the chip and snack aisle- and your wallet.

This is about Boston though and if Chiarelli can resist yard sales and 5 Below and stick to what he said in the paper about the kids he could be very happy in a few months. Save your money Peter, after seeing what Statsny got you know if Krejci ever gets out there he is looking at $8 M. You will probably have to give him your 'man's word NMC and likely 6 or more years so if that's the way to go resist and let the Wild and Blues and Tampa Bay Lightning, and Florida Panthers spend away.

As for Boston being ascending down to the rest of the league after what I saw today the only thing ascending down will be a few teams to join our boys in Cap Hell and likely sooner rather than later.

I wanted Iginla to stay and he got one of the few contracts I could stomach today. The term is probably a year to long for Iggy, but he's in great shape, a proven scorer, good teammate, and to any kid coming up a legend you get to play with. All accounts he's a very nice man. So, yah, I would take him back and be happy. However, if Chiarelli can stick to his statements and go with a few of the kids I'll be happy because there is one an maybe two who I think can put a big dent in Iginla production, make the team younger, faster, even spunkier- even if it modifies the Bruins blueprint the past 6 years.

It all starts on the fourth line. The merlot line is dead. Its time to spruce up that place and get some young'uns with a resume heavy on the offense down there; and that means going with whichever one of your best prospects you believe in at center. I'm all for retaining Gregory Campbell but I'd make him a wing, five on five if paired with either Spooner or Khokhlachev. Campell can still take draws, be the defensive presence, but he can chip in by playing hard down low and going to the net, helping whichever one he is paired with.

Here is the tricky part. This team aint big enough for both of them and Spooner is ready- even if his 200 foot game isn't, his skill is. The Bruins coaching staff can work with him and having Doug Jarvis around is invaluable. I watched his entire career and he was as smart, tough, talented as you would find on a bottom 6. I hated the Habs but really liked the way this guy clogged lanes, thought the game and appreciated his skill level. He's not big but he is the NHL game played Iron Man and has 4 Stanley Cup rings. (my favorite thing about Jarvis is he was drafted 24th by the Maple Leafs who immediately traded him to Montreal for a hockey nobody). I trust either Ryan or Koko makes this opening night roster by Christmas will be playing an acceptable if not moreso 200 foot game if this guy is in charge.

The fourth line recent years has been good for about 25-30 goals; you put either one of these kids there and a winger with some offense they should be able to add 50% to that.

Watching both of these two in Providence it is my opinion that both are much better centers than wingers- neither has played much of it; and in Koko's stab at it, he last less than 5 periods and was benched and stuck back at center. But that is fine. The center is the most important offensive position and each of these kids has exceptional offensive ability. Khokhlachev is more a scorer, more a hound, more active, he's all over the place and he looks to make things happen. Ryan can skate and pass, more a playmaker, but he can shoot the puck quite well, and that would be something I would demand he put in his arsenal.

Koko could always go down and be first man up; Ryan to me is best up here or somewhere else. He needs to get his career going. He can play fourth line but also in your top two on the power play; just like Campbell can play fourth line and be in your top two on the Penalty kill and be very good.

You win down the middle in sports- and with Rask, the defense led by Chara and Seidenberg, and the emerging Hamilton and Krug, the Bruins are top 5 easy; a center group of

Krejci
Bergeron
Soderberg
Khokhlachev/Spooner

is pretty dynamic

I would be more happy to hear Peter Chiarelli to walk out and have a press conference and announce Ryan or Koko will be the fourth line center than we just signed Benoit Pouliot for $5 M or gave a 5/25 NTC to Matt Moulson (going to love that 5 M in his late 30's)

Great freaking post, I especially like the bit about the 4th line, time to change things up.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC

that line has the potential to be the bargain of the century!

Fraser showed some flashes in the playoffs last year. He's got size, but needs a better shot. I also hope Fraser puts on a few pounds over the offseason. Have him be the Lucic of the third line. He doesn't need to be a bull in a china shop, but he can muck along the boards, get the puck to Soderberg to create space and distribute to Spooner.

I'm not sold on Spooner, but a lot of people seem to think he's what this team needs. I'm hoping that this line can develop something. Two bigger guys in Soderberg and Fraser with a smaller quick guy in Spooner.

That line should be able to give us what the third did last year. Spooner on the third, I'm hoping, can match what Eriksson gave. Although we're losing a great piece on the first line, I can see Eriksson fitting right in with Lucic and DK on the first line.

Not everything is so bleak. We're not heading into the season with a slam dunk roster like last year, but you have to give the kids a shot sometime. No team is able to compete without developing their youth.

Also, I didn't know Smith was six foot. I thought he was a lot smaller.

bosoxmrkn

Dec 1, 2009
Stratham, NH
www.eashlforum.com
Fraser showed some flashes in the playoffs last year. He's got size, but needs a better shot. I also hope Fraser puts on a few pounds over the offseason. Have him be the Lucic of the third line. He doesn't need to be a bull in a china shop, but he can muck along the boards, get the puck to Soderberg to create space and distribute to Spooner.

I'm not sold on Spooner, but a lot of people seem to think he's what this team needs. I'm hoping that this line can develop something. Two bigger guys in Soderberg and Fraser with a smaller quick guy in Spooner.

That line should be able to give us what the third did last year. Spooner on the third, I'm hoping, can match what Eriksson gave. Although we're losing a great piece on the first line, I can see Eriksson fitting right in with Lucic and DK on the first line.

Not everything is so bleak. We're not heading into the season with a slam dunk roster like last year, but you have to give the kids a shot sometime. No team is able to compete without developing their youth.

There are a few guys who are 6 foot only on paper....

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

are you watching the same Fraser as the rest of us? The best thing about him is that he has an NHL-quality shot. He needs to work on his skating, but his shot is terrific.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
One has to take into consideration Florida's motivation for giving someone that money

i agree.

However, it's not like they had 19 players under contract and were still way short and decided to blow it all on Bolland.

Also, even if that were the case..... five years from now that might just look like one foolish way to get to the floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad