Salary Cap: Chiarelli (for one day) saying & doing right

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I keep coming back to the question of who would be important to the team in the next 4-5 years; Boychuck or Seidenberg. I'm leaning Boychuck, in part because he's more durable and has brought more in the playoffs than Seidenberg- but its tough.

Wonder what Boychuk would do if Chiarelli offered him the exact contract Seidenberg is about to have kick in this year- I think 4/16 and a NMC with the Chia 'man promise' we won't screw you on it, your safe with us.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
go look around the league at some of these contracts being handed out and tell me that the Bruins players are overpaid. Dave Bolland just signed for 5.5 per year! You wanna tell me Bergeron isn't worth a million more?

77bestever*

I know this will ruffle some feathers, but in my opinion this is a big part of why Chiarelli has put the Bruins in Cap jail.

Bergeron, Patrice » $6,500,000
Lucic, Milan » $6,000,000
Krejci, David » $5,250,000
Marchand, Brad » $4,500,000
Chara, Zdeno » $6,916,667
Rask, Tuukka » $7,000,000

Let me state that I love Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Chara and Rask as much as the next guy and we can't win without them, but in my opinion no one is worthy of this kind of money to play sports. If you took 1 million from each of these players you'd add 6 million of potential payroll. When will these crazy contracts end?:shakehead

I know I'm going to take some major hits for my opinion, but this is how I feel. The only good thing may be that the Cap should go up next year. Hopefully the B's can figure something out.

The truth is you are dead on correct with this post. Most here think we have the islander dynasty here but the truth is while the cup win is the most happy I have ever been as a fan....This team and management for that matter has under achieved.

I would say that...
RASK is over paid by 2(m) He has not earned 7 million yet. What has he done other then be outplayed in the biggest games.

MARCHAND-1-1.5 (M) Over paid plain and simple.

LUCIC-(2M). Love Looch but he is not a 6 million dollar player. He sells jersey though and management likes that.

Right there is like 5 or 5.5 million. Throw in Kelly and we could have 6-9 million to get the DMAN we sorely need at the top with Dougie.

Last edited by a moderator:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
All of those players listed in the original post each would've made millions more if they were UFAs yesterday.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
The truth is you are dead on correct with this post. Most here think we have the islander dynasty here but the truth is while the cup win is the most happy I have ever been as a fan....This team and management for that matter has under achieved.

I would say that...
RASK is over paid by 2(m) He has not earned 7 million yet. What has he done other then be outplayed in the biggest games.

LUCIC-(2M). Love Looch but he is not a 6 million dollar player. He sells jersey though and management likes that.

Right there is like 5 or 5.5 million. Throw in Kelly and we could have 6-9 million to get the DMAN we sorely need at the top with Dougie.

I mean if you say it's the truth, it must be true! :laugh:

Do you think Lucic deserves the same salary as Benoit Pouliot?

Last edited by a moderator:

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
I know this will ruffle some feathers, but in my opinion this is a big part of why Chiarelli has put the Bruins in Cap jail.

Bergeron, Patrice » $6,500,000
Lucic, Milan » $6,000,000
Krejci, David » $5,250,000
Marchand, Brad » $4,500,000
Chara, Zdeno » $6,916,667
Rask, Tuukka » $7,000,000

Let me state that I love Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Chara and Rask as much as the next guy and we can't win without them, but in my opinion no one is worthy of this kind of money to play sports. If you took 1 million from each of these players you'd add 6 million of potential payroll. When will these crazy contracts end?:shakehead

I know I'm going to take some major hits for my opinion, but this is how I feel. The only good thing may be that the Cap should go up next year. Hopefully the B's can figure something out.

& they would receive 1 - 3 million more today if they were UFA...my oh my !!!

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Chad Wilbur rip job on Chiarelli

http://www.boston.com/sports/column...relli.html?p1=Topopage:Carousel_lead_headline

Chia's critics will eat this up. Not saying I totally agree with all of his points but it certainly presents a critical view of Chia's team building. It's definitely not surprising that this comes out in July after losing their top line RW to free agency. Definitely a reactionary piece.

The Bruins love their squad, maybe a little too much to realize that it is anchored by an aging defenseman in Zdeno Chara, whose biological clock is ticking, the window for another run at the Cup beginning to close. Maybe too much to explore what they could get in return for the likes of Brad Marchand on the trade market. Maybe too much for Chiarelli to not utter the single, stupidest thing he could have said as the first day of NHL free agency came to a close.
"I'm very comfortable," he said. "We lost in the second round, but we won the Presidents' Trophy.”
Oh. I must have missed the parade.

The Bruins gagged against the Montreal Canadiens in the Eastern Conference semifinals, and Bruins fans essentially get another "More days in first place" as the retort. Wonderful. Get your President's Trophy t-shirts now.

For all of the good that Chiarelli has done as a general manager, his greatest fault clearly lies in the fact that he apparently doles out wedding rings when signing certain players; ‘’Til death do us part.” It’s even fair to assume Chris Kelly got a pre-nup as part of his arrangement.

So, spare me the company line that the general manager wasn’t about to sacrifice the future of the Boston Bruins for Iginla. Chiarelli got the team into this cap mess in the first place with his heart pittering and pattering over the likes of Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Tuukka Rask (who he overpaid by at least $1 million per season), and Kelly, who will make $3 million each of the next two seasons. David Krejci is a free agent at the end of the season, and the way Chiarelli discussed upcoming contracts, the Bruins want to re-sign him. Maybe they can ask how his vacation was when the Bruins were getting ousted by the Canadiens.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
the guys that were given those hugh payouts are reall not better than we have at a cheaper price we lost it the playoffs so be it. But anyone thought we were giving Jarome a year year deal is crazy. We still have to see what PC adds and what some of these young kids can do. I glad PC did not throw money at some of these guys.

SToMper!

Feb 27, 2002
Sand Bar
www.shorelinemediapro.com
the guys that were given those hugh payouts are reall not better than we have at a cheaper price we lost it the playoffs so be it. But anyone thought we were giving Jarome a year year deal is crazy. We still have to see what PC adds and what some of these young kids can do. I glad PC did not throw money at some of these guys.

Agreed. That Globe piece is trash. What happened in that place? Yesterday's contract frenzy is something I'm glad Chiarelli didn't take part in. And Iginla did not sign with the Avs for the same reason Bourque did. He ran for the money and is no better in my eyes today than Dollar Bill running for the contract.
A crap reactionary article that doesn't take into account the cap situation. Perhaps the subtraction of veteran leadership will make guys like Lucic and Krejci step it up a bit now.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Dave Bolland just signed for 5.5 per year! You wanna tell me Bergeron isn't worth a million more?

Do you think Lucic deserves the same salary as Benoit Pouliot?

Some other stupid GM's make stupid contracts and overpay a lot ... I mean, really, Bolland used to amaze me but should he even earn half of that money?

But are those players now a measuring stick or what?
Lucic is suddenly worth 6 million because Pouliot got a 4 million deal over 5 years?
The only time I saw Lucic being worth 6 million was during the playoffs in 2013.

I do believe some of our players are overpaid. Not by much, but they are. Rask, Marchand, Kelly, Lucic ... to name a few.

If you compare our contracts to the horrid ones out there in the league ... well then I guess 3 million for Kelly is amazing because someone else is paying 2.9 million for Engelland and yet another one is paying 5.5 million for Bolland.

Other ridicilous contracs don't magically turn the Bruins' contract to good ones.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
PC ... such an idiot keeping this team together. All they've done is be what the 2nd, 3rd most successful post season team over the past 5,6,7 years? Every time they lose a playoff game I think 1 core player should be shipped out.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
PC ... such an idiot keeping this team together. All they've done is be what the 2nd, 3rd most successful post season team over the past 5,6,7 years? Every time they lose a playoff game I think 1 core player should be shipped out.

Don't forget about Julien being fired too!

That Bear

Jan 22, 2011
Some other stupid GM's make stupid contracts and overpay a lot ... I mean, really, Bolland used to amaze me but should he even earn half of that money?

Lucic is suddenly worth 6 million because Pouliot got a 4 million deal over 5 years?
The only time I saw Lucic being worth 6 million was during the playoffs in 2013.

I do believe some of our players are overpaid. Not by much, but they are. Rask, Marchand, Kelly, Lucic ... to name a few.

If you compare our contracts to the horrid ones out there in the league ... well then I guess 3 million for Kelly is amazing because someone else is paying 2.9 million for Engelland and yet another one is paying 5.5 million for Bolland.

Other ridicilous contracs don't magically turn the Bruins' contract to good ones.
Those horrid contracts mean its going to be very difficult to keep our players for that much.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Agreed. That Globe piece is trash. What happened in that place? Yesterday's contract frenzy is something I'm glad Chiarelli didn't take part in. And Iginla did not sign with the Avs for the same reason Bourque did. He ran for the money and is no better in my eyes today than Dollar Bill running for the contract.
A crap reactionary article that doesn't take into account the cap situation. Perhaps the subtraction of veteran leadership will make guys like Lucic and Krejci step it up a bit now.

I knew even before I checked that it was Eric Wilbur. He is a troll who makes Shaughnessy look like a Pulitzer winner. Anyone who takes him seriously as a sports analyst should have his head examined.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Ive been 100% for having Koko or Spooner as 4th line center since we lost to the Habs.

Campbell isn't the best man for the job right now. He can be a 4th line winger or 13th forward Im fine with him as a luxury 4th liner but we need more skill and speed. Im thinking Spooner gets first shot over Koko since hes the one likely to bring back a player in a trade that would help right away.

The contracts being thrown out scream resign Boychuk immediately. He might get 6-7 per on the open market.

I'd bit the bullet and give him close to a Niskanen deal hopefully a little shorter and cheaper.

No moves for us to make right now. We should have been more aggressive each of the last 3 seasons at the trade deadline though.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

the thing is you can't determine player worth in a vacuum. The worth of a player is largely determined by the market and with the cap rising every year, the market for individual players will continue to rise. So yes Lucic is absolutely worth 6 million bucks because 29 other teams would absolutely pay that or more if he were to hit the open market. Chia deserves credit for recognizing that. If he was to say "There's no way Lucic is worth this much" and trade him then eventually he'll find himself in need of a first line winger and be forced to look at the free agent market where he'll end up paying as much or more for a lesser player.

Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Chara, Seids, and Rask is a very good core and none of those guys are grossly overpaid. I would argue that Marchand is a little underpaid in fact. Rask is the only one of those contracts that pains me a little to think about, but it's in line with what other elite goalies are making or are soon to make.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Seriously if the biggest problem we've got is that Chris Kelly is making $500k too much, it's a little hard to complain.

The reason cap is tight is because the Bruins have a good team with plenty of depth. With that, decisions must be made. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd rather have a good team with tough decisions to be made, than a roster full of garbage but a boatload of cap space so we can pay Dave Bolland $28M over 5 years.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA

I would say that...

I'm sure that Dominik Hasek was probably overpaid in Buffalo too when he won all those Hart and Vezina trophies because he never actually won them anything. :laugh:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Yeah....lets go back to the days when the Bruins wouldnt pay market value and even bring guys like Bourque to arbitration.

Yeah...them was the good old days ....they was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad