Salary Cap: Chiarelli (for one day) saying & doing right

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's early and Dustin Penner is still out there- but so far Peter Chiarelli by accident or planned has had a great day. Color me shocked at the money being spent and wait until the 4th, 5th, or 6th years of some of these guys kick in. There better be buyouts available in a few years or one very high Cap. Benoit Pouliot money has to come back to bite Edmonton some time? right? Today's yield was like food shopping hungry, stoned, and with wad of cash on you and then looking in the bag to find out you may have cleaned out the chip and snack aisle- and your wallet.

This is about Boston though and if Chiarelli can resist yard sales and 5 Below and stick to what he said in the paper about the kids he could be very happy in a few months. Save your money Peter, after seeing what Statsny got you know if Krejci ever gets out there he is looking at $8 M. You will probably have to give him your 'man's word NMC and likely 6 or more years so if that's the way to go resist and let the Wild and Blues and Tampa Bay Lightning, and Florida Panthers spend away.

As for Boston being ascending down to the rest of the league after what I saw today the only thing ascending down will be a few teams to join our boys in Cap Hell and likely sooner rather than later.

I wanted Iginla to stay and he got one of the few contracts I could stomach today. The term is probably a year to long for Iggy, but he's in great shape, a proven scorer, good teammate, and to any kid coming up a legend you get to play with. All accounts he's a very nice man. So, yah, I would take him back and be happy. However, if Chiarelli can stick to his statements and go with a few of the kids I'll be happy because there is one an maybe two who I think can put a big dent in Iginla production, make the team younger, faster, even spunkier- even if it modifies the Bruins blueprint the past 6 years.

It all starts on the fourth line. The merlot line is dead. Its time to spruce up that place and get some young'uns with a resume heavy on the offense down there; and that means going with whichever one of your best prospects you believe in at center. I'm all for retaining Gregory Campbell but I'd make him a wing, five on five if paired with either Spooner or Khokhlachev. Campell can still take draws, be the defensive presence, but he can chip in by playing hard down low and going to the net, helping whichever one he is paired with.

Here is the tricky part. This team aint big enough for both of them and Spooner is ready- even if his 200 foot game isn't, his skill is. The Bruins coaching staff can work with him and having Doug Jarvis around is invaluable. I watched his entire career and he was as smart, tough, talented as you would find on a bottom 6. I hated the Habs but really liked the way this guy clogged lanes, thought the game and appreciated his skill level. He's not big but he is the NHL game played Iron Man and has 4 Stanley Cup rings. (my favorite thing about Jarvis is he was drafted 24th by the Maple Leafs who immediately traded him to Montreal for a hockey nobody). I trust either Ryan or Koko makes this opening night roster by Christmas will be playing an acceptable if not moreso 200 foot game if this guy is in charge.

The fourth line recent years has been good for about 25-30 goals; you put either one of these kids there and a winger with some offense they should be able to add 50% to that.

Watching both of these two in Providence it is my opinion that both are much better centers than wingers- neither has played much of it; and in Koko's stab at it, he last less than 5 periods and was benched and stuck back at center. But that is fine. The center is the most important offensive position and each of these kids has exceptional offensive ability. Khokhlachev is more a scorer, more a hound, more active, he's all over the place and he looks to make things happen. Ryan can skate and pass, more a playmaker, but he can shoot the puck quite well, and that would be something I would demand he put in his arsenal.

Koko could always go down and be first man up; Ryan to me is best up here or somewhere else. He needs to get his career going. He can play fourth line but also in your top two on the power play; just like Campbell can play fourth line and be in your top two on the Penalty kill and be very good.

You win down the middle in sports- and with Rask, the defense led by Chara and Seidenberg, and the emerging Hamilton and Krug, the Bruins are top 5 easy; a center group of

Krejci
Bergeron
Soderberg
Khokhlachev/Spooner

is pretty dynamic

I would be more happy to hear Peter Chiarelli to walk out and have a press conference and announce Ryan or Koko will be the fourth line center than we just signed Benoit Pouliot for $5 M or gave a 5/25 NTC to Matt Moulson (going to love that 5 M in his late 30's)

Last edited:

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
I agree - a lot of the signings were pretty ridiculous. There wasn't a lot out there.

For the most part I am glad that Chia stood pat. However, it would have nice to have seen the deals that are going to have to happen, have happened (i.e. Kelly and likely Marchand).

Wouldn't have minded Brian Boyle here on the term and money he got. Brad Richards was obviously good value.

The question is now what?

Chia has 2 options:

1) Trade Kelly and Marchand. Add what you have to, to make it happen (i.e. Subban or Khoko or Spooner). This leaves enough money for Krug and Smith signings and a winger at the deadline in place of Savvy's LTIR money.

2) Play a cap game. Sign Smith and Krug after the season starts (if this is even possible), call up our cheapest AHL players to fill out the roster in the meantime. This way we keep Marchand as our trade deadline winger in essence.

Either way - it is nice that a number of rookies are gonna get a look this year. It is gonna hurt us in the standings - likely won't win the conference that's for sure. But it could pay huge dividends in the way of trade bait or experience.

Not sure what is going to happen - but I would LOVE to see Bobby Ryan in a Bs uniform by the trade deadline.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It's early and Dustin Penner is still out there- but so far Peter Chiarelli by accident or planned has had a great day. Color me shocked at the money being spent and wait until the 4th, 5th, or 6th years of some of these guys kick in. There better be buyouts available in a few years or one very high Cap. Benoit Pouliot money has to come back to bite Edmonton some time? right? Today's yield was like food shopping hungry, stoned, and with wad of cash on you and then looking in the bag to find out you may have cleaned out the chip and snack aisle.

This is about Boston though and if Chiarelli can resist yard sales and 5 Below and stick to what he said in the paper about the kids he could be very happy in a few months. Save your money Peter, after seeing what Statsny got you know if Krejci ever gets out there he is looking at $8 M. You will probably have to give him your 'man's word NMC and likely 6 or more years so if that's the way to go resist and let the Wild and Blues and Tampa Bay Lightning, and Florida Panthers spend away.

As for Boston being ascending down to the rest of the league after what I saw today Boston should have some friends in Cap Hell sooner rather than later.

I wanted Iginla to stay and he got one of the contracts I'd have given. The term is probably a year two long but he's in great shape, a proven scorer, good teammate, and to any kid coming up a legend you get to play with. All accounts he's a very nice man. So, yah, I would take him back and be happy. However, if Chiarelli can stick to his statements and go with a few of the kids I'll be happy because there is one an maybe two who I think can put a big dent in Iginla production, make the team younger, faster, even spunkier- even if it modifies the Bruins blueprint the past 6 years.

It all starts on the fourth line. The merlot line is dead. Its time to get some offense down there and that means going with whichever one of your best prospects you believe in at center. I'm all for retaining Gregory Campbell but I'd make him a wing, five on five if paired with either Spooner or Khokhlachev. Campell can still take draws, be the defensive presence, but he can chip in by playing hard down low and going to the net, helping whichever one he is paired with.

Here is the tricky part. This team aint big enough for both of them and Spooner is ready- even if his 200 foot game isn't, his skill is. The Bruins coaching staff can work with him and having Doug Jarvis around is invaluable. I watched his entire career and he was as smart, tough, talented as you would find on a bottom 6. I hated the Habs but really liked the way this guy clogged lanes, thought the game and appreciated his skill level. He's not big but he is the NHL game played Iron Man and has 4 Stanley Cup rings. (my favorite thing about Jarvis is he was drafted 24th by the Maple Leafs who immediately traded him to Montreal for a hockey nobody). I trust either Ryan or Koko makes this opening night roster by Christmas will be playing an acceptable if not moreso 200 foot game if this guy is in charge.

The fourth line recent years has been good for about 25-30 goals; you put either one of these kids there and a winger with some offense they should be able to add 50% to that.

Watching both of these two in Providence it is my opinion that both are much better centers than wingers- neither has played much of it; and in Koko's stab at it, he last less than 5 periods and was benched and stuck back at center. But that is fine. The center is the most important offensive position and each of these kids has exceptional offensive ability. Khokhlachev is more a scorer, more a hound, more active, he's all over the place and he looks to make things happen. Ryan can skate and pass, more a playmaker, but he can shoot the puck quite well, and that would be something I would demand he put in his arsenal.

Koko could always go down and be first man up; Ryan to me is best up here or somewhere else. He needs to get his career going. He can play fourth line but also in your top two on the power play; just like Campbell can play fourth line and be in your top two on the Penalty kill and be very good.

You win down the middle in sports- and with Rask, the defense led by Chara and Seidenberg, and the emerging Hamilton and Krug, the Bruins are top 5 easy; a center group of

Krejci
Bergeron
Soderberg
Khokhlachev/Spooner

is pretty dynamic

I would be more happy to hear Peter Chiarelli to walk out and have a press conference and announce Ryan or Koko will be the fourth line center than we just signed Benoit Pouliot for $5 M or gave a 5/25 NTC to Matt Moulson (going to love that 5 M in his late 30's)

Well, Providence is where the answers, such as they are, will come from. Fine with that. DKH, what do you think of DocShole's suggestion of dealing Spooner for a wing, given that (in Mick's opinion) Spooner is a pure center who can't play gritty wing on a team strong down the middle, and the need for a wing?

Any insight appreciated.

David Krejci*

I agree with everything you said except the part about you would've given Iginla the 5m. That would've meant bye bye Boychuk, which would be a bad trade off.

If we can dump Kelly and McQuaid's salaries, we should have enough to go after Bobby Ryan at the deadline and we can probably entice Ottawa to retain part of his salary, since it'd only be fore the rest of the year anyway with him being UFA. Ryan is better than 38 year old Iginla, go into the playoffs with a forward group of

Lucic Krejci Ryan
Marchand Bergeron Smith
Paille Soderberg Eriksson
Campbell Spooner ?

That ? can be a cheap, (CHEAP) veteran, or maybe a guy like Fraser who has a decent shot that Campbell can set him up. The only thing is PKing. With the loss of Kelly, do you now have Krejci taking those PK minutes? I am not okay with that at all. I don't have an answer here.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well, Providence is where the answers, such as they are, will come from. Fine with that. DKH, what do you think of DocShole's suggestion of dealing Spooner for a wing, given that (in Mick's opinion) Spooner is a pure center who can't play gritty wing on a team strong down the middle, and the need for a wing?

Any insight appreciated.

I think Mick is one of the best writers, like Kirk, Dom, who not only know the game but know the Bruins exceptionally well. I steal all their ideas so Ryan needs to be in the NHL either here or somewhere. If its here great you can send Koko down, but if the view is Koko is the guy then deal him for a similar type winger. They wont get Toffoli but similar second round pick, good upside right shot- yes, exactly what Mick said. Id like him to stay though- great kid and super talented

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I want one of these guys (likely Spooner) to be the 4th line C and the other to be a 3rd line winger. I want them to work their way up and play hard.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with everything you said except the part about you would've given Iginla the 5m. That would've meant bye bye Boychuk, which would be a bad trade off.

If we can dump Kelly and McQuaid's salaries, we should have enough to go after Bobby Ryan at the deadline and we can probably entice Ottawa to retain part of his salary, since it'd only be fore the rest of the year anyway with him being UFA. Ryan is better than 38 year old Iginla, go into the playoffs with a forward group of

Lucic Krejci Ryan
Marchand Bergeron Smith
Paille Soderberg Eriksson
Campbell Spooner ?

That ? can be a cheap, (CHEAP) veteran, or maybe a guy like Fraser who has a decent shot that Campbell can set him up. The only thing is PKing. With the loss of Kelly, do you now have Krejci taking those PK minutes? I am not okay with that at all. I don't have an answer here.

I m sorry I meant he was worth the contract- I would not have given it to him in Boston situation unless I had it. I think Iggy is worth that or close to it, Pouliot not; I'd rather let him go, and stick Koko or Ryan out there like the Red Sox are or did with Boegarts and Bradley or the Pats with all those rookie wide receivers or Gronk and Hernandez a few years ago.

Koko and Ryan especially are cheap talented and offensive- lets go, let them play, we might be happy, but don't just a little hear and there, put them on the forth for real and let them learn behind some hall of famers and elite leaders that still dot the team

David Krejci*

I m sorry I meant he was worth the contract- I would not have given it to him in Boston situation unless I had it. I think Iggy is worth that or close to it, Pouliot not; I'd rather let him go, and stick Koko or Ryan out there like the Red Sox are or did with Boegarts and Bradley or the Pats with all those rookie wide receivers or Gronk and Hernandez a few years ago.

Koko and Ryan especially are cheap talented and offensive- lets go, let them play, we might be happy, but don't just a little hear and there, put them on the forth for real and let them learn behind some hall of famers and elite leaders that still dot the team

Oh okay. Yeah I'm fine with that as long as they can get someone at the deadline for the playoff push. I just don't want this to be a bridge year like those other situations with the Sox and Pats.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Good post, I really like your suggestion of moving Campbell to the wing to open up a spot at C for Spooner or Koko. Campbell is still an effective player but there were times last season (maybe because of the broken leg hurt his off-season workouts) that it looked like he didn't have the wheels to play center anymore. But put him on the wing and let him kill penalties, sub-in on face-offs, and he can still have a valuable role on the Bruins.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
It's early and Dustin Penner is still out there- but so far Peter Chiarelli by accident or planned has had a great day. Color me shocked at the money being spent and wait until the 4th, 5th, or 6th years of some of these guys kick in. There better be buyouts available in a few years or one very high Cap. Benoit Pouliot money has to come back to bite Edmonton some time? right? Today's yield was like food shopping hungry, stoned, and with wad of cash on you and then looking in the bag to find out you may have cleaned out the chip and snack aisle- and your wallet.

As for Boston being ascending down to the rest of the league after what I saw today the only thing ascending down will be a few teams to join our boys in Cap Hell and likely sooner rather than later.

I wanted Iginla to stay and he got one of the few contracts I could stomach today. The term is probably a year to long for Iggy, but he's in great shape, a proven scorer, good teammate, and to any kid coming up a legend you get to play with. All accounts he's a very nice man. So, yah, I would take him back and be happy. However, if Chiarelli can stick to his statements and go with a few of the kids I'll be happy because there is one an maybe two who I think can put a big dent in Iginla production, make the team younger, faster, even spunkier- even if it modifies the Bruins blueprint the past 6 years.

It all starts on the fourth line. The merlot line is dead. Its time to spruce up that place and get some young'uns with a resume heavy on the offense down there; and that means going with whichever one of your best prospects you believe in at center. I'm all for retaining Gregory Campbell but I'd make him a wing, five on five if paired with either Spooner or Khokhlachev. Campell can still take draws, be the defensive presence, but he can chip in by playing hard down low and going to the net, helping whichever one he is paired with.

Krejci
Bergeron
Soderberg
Khokhlachev/Spooner

is pretty dynamic

Great post! Couldn't have written it better myself :)

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
This thread is like walking out to a moonlit field far away from a frat house where there is simultaneously a kegger, several gang fights and a 5-alarm fire. This board is burning down today. Thanks for the peaceful, thoughtful reprieve.

Graduate Spooner, let's do this. The Bruins like to have lines where multiple players can potentially take face offs. There's good vet leadership still on the team. Home grown talent wins the day.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I think Mick is one of the best writers, like Kirk, Dom, who not only know the game but know the Bruins exceptionally well. I steal all their ideas so Ryan needs to be in the NHL either here or somewhere. If its here great you can send Koko down, but if the view is Koko is the guy then deal him for a similar type winger. They wont get Toffoli but similar second round pick, good upside right shot- yes, exactly what Mick said. Id like him to stay though- great kid and super talented

Speaking on 98.5 TSH this weekend, Mick seemed to believe Koko was the fellow to groom at center. Further, he opined that given depth at that position, Spooner's apparent lack of requisite winger depth in the corners, *and* that his speed doesn't outweigh this deficiency, a deal for a genuine winger would be best.

No expert, but if the Bruins can get significant help at wing when they need it most -- now -- and if, again, a realistic shot for Spooner at center is limited (assuming Kelly and Campbell return), I'd explore the possibility.

Mick appeared very confident that the Bruins remain high on Smith's potential, btw. I guess with tender age and reasonable salary upgrade, I can see that. But, I want to see him do well only in the regular season but post. A lot to ask of a 23 year old.

But, we always ask too much of our athletes in this town. :)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I can't give him too much credit for standing pat when he painted himself into a cap corner.

However, he likes his team as well he should. They're a good team. Gotta give Chia the benefit of the doubt considering the mess he inherited and where they are now.

At some point, though you need to be able to let guys walk and replenish from within so some of these draft day misses are going to burn.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
(...)

(1) For the most part I am glad that Chia stood pat. However, it would have nice to have seen the deals that are going to have to happen, have happened (i.e. Kelly and likely Marchand).

(...)

2) Play a cap game. Sign Smith and Krug after the season starts (if this is even possible), call up our cheapest AHL players to fill out the roster in the meantime. This way we keep Marchand as our trade deadline winger in essence.

(...)

(1) What choice did he had with Krug and Smith to signed and only $8.5M available (including the extra $6.9M - 10% of the cap) in the off-season.

(2) They (meaning Krug and Smith) could force the issue by signing an offer sheet which the Bruins would have to match in the next 7 (or maybe 10?) days.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I can't give him too much credit for standing pat when he painted himself into a cap corner.

However, he likes his team as well he should. They're a good team. Gotta give Chia the benefit of the doubt considering the mess he inherited and where they are now.

At some point, though you need to be able to let guys walk and replenish from within so some of these draft day misses are going to burn.

Off season isn't over yet.

NYBruins52

May 18, 2014
My only concern is that PC said in his press conference that the young forwards are coming, which is fine. However we all know Chris Kelly is going to be in the lineup opening day which is frustrating.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
"It may be that we have to put one of the centermen on the wing, and we’ve tried that with Koko [Alexander Khokhlachev]. We’ve tried it a little bit with Spoons [Ryan Spooner]. It may be that we have to put [Chris] Kelly on the wing and put one of the young kids in the middle. There’s a lot of ways you can look at it."

"I see four or five guys that are going to vie for two spots, as of right now, and I’m kind of excited about it. I like the way it ended up last year, with the competition, and I’m excited about this year."

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=30412&navid=DL|BOS|home

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
BrOqPFbIYAE6lAy.jpg

He's ready, Spooner's ready, the Kings just won the Cup with Toffoli and Pearson making an impact, let's let our kids do the same.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I think that Krug and Smith can only negotiate with the Bruins.

Sorry to break it to you, but you think wrong. Only difference between Krug and Smith and unrestricted free agents is that the Bruins have the option to match a contract or let them walk and be compensated.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Great seeing boychuck's name thrown in there about "important guys he's got to sign"

It sure seems like some center has to give. There are 4 slots and 5 guys who need to play there realistically - Bergeron, Krejci, Soderberg, spooner and koko. Campbell and Kelly can shift to the wing easy enough. If Bergeron weren't the god he is I'd say try him back on the wing where he scored 30 goals before he could drink.
I wonder though what the long term plan is with Soderberg. I don't know if they see him as part of the "must sign" core - he won't be cheap and he could draw a pretty good return I'd imagine.

If they can't get the wing prospect they like for koko/spooner maybe Soderberg could be the guy who gets moved. Or maybe they ride out his deal and hope for the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad