Sportsnet: Cherry: Maple Leafs need Orr, McLaren back

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Cherry was talking about indentity of the Leafs. We had one the one half year we made the playoffs. Like it or not, Fraser, Orr, and Mclaren all were factors for this. When's the last time the team played like this?

It was about swagger and team identity. Leafs have none right now except being soft and easy to play against.

And after that game we beat them once more that season, they however beat us twice after that game so I dont think they where that scared of us.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Even before that, I'm not sure why Burke, who apparently liked gritty hockey players, pursued Kris Versteeg instead of Andrew Ladd

Atlanta had already acquired him and Buff. So naturally, we acquired Atlanta's GM as an assistant after he was unjustly let go by the Thrashers just as they were moving to Winnipeg.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I do think that we need some guys who can intimidate the other team more than we do right now, but it's not Orr and McLaren who are the answer. I didn't see it, but I was listening to the Leafs-NJ game from Friday night on the radio while I was driving, and Bowen calling the hit by Josefson on Rielly really stuck with me. Apparently it was a big hit, Rielly went down hard (though sprung right back up) and I think Polak gave him a bit of a hard time but not much. After reading the Prust article, and his quote:

It was the third period and one of our best players, Max Pacioretty, got smoked from behind after making a pass and went head-first into the glass.

I’m sitting on the bench thinking, “Okay, I could let this go, but what happens when the rest of the league sees that hit and we don’t do anything about it?”

Luckily, I got my fight that night. I had to let the league know you can’t take runs at our best players.

That mentality is missing from our team. Who on this team forces the other teams to answer the bell if they run one of our star players? Phaneuf? Clarkson? I'm not really sure anybody is worried about either of those two anymore.

siddy

Oct 26, 2010
The Leafs need skill, not grit.

Clarkson, Komorov, Fraser, McClaren, Orr, Komisarek, O'Byrne, Holzer, Armstrong, Bolland, Brown.

You think that people would start realizing that paying a premium for "grit" does not work out.

If there is a skilled player who plays with "grit" all the better, but removing skill and adding grit is the mistake the Leafs have made for ages and ages and the reason why they've been marred in mediocrity for ages.

edit: To stay on topic, Don Cherry is a dinosaur of a bygone age. I'd love to see how bad he would ruin a team if he was put in charge.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Goons have already gone the way of the dinosaur in the NHL. Simply isn't a place for a player who has no skill whatsoever beyond facepunching. Pests are fine - which is why Komarov is such an effective player - he makes nice hits, and gets under the skin of the opposition while also being competent with the puck.

MrLegend28*

Detroit, Tampa, Montreal, Pittsburgh, New York Islanders, Washington, New York, Boston.

When I think of those teams, I think of 4th lines full of goons!!!!!! wait a minute.

Don Cherry doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground. Go cry about seal meat some more you ignorant idiot.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I do think that we need some guys who can intimidate the other team more than we do right now, but it's not Orr and McLaren who are the answer. I didn't see it, but I was listening to the Leafs-NJ game from Friday night on the radio while I was driving, and Bowen calling the hit by Josefson on Rielly really stuck with me. Apparently it was a big hit, Rielly went down hard (though sprung right back up) and I think Polak gave him a bit of a hard time but not much. After reading the Prust article, and his quote:

That mentality is missing from our team. Who on this team forces the other teams to answer the bell if they run one of our star players? Phaneuf? Clarkson? I'm not really sure anybody is worried about either of those two anymore.

Good post and I agree. We do miss that protective aggressiveness as much as we miss an aggressive forecheck. A lot of fans made jokes about Clarkson and the water bottle incident, so have I, but it is that kind of attitude we need. If we draw a line and does not accept anyone stepping over it and act as soon as some one does, well then we will get both feared and respected. Every little incident should demand a reaction from our team, like the water bottle incident, spraying ice on the goalie, making a hard but borderline hit, celebrate in front of our bench or in the face of our goalie etc Every act of disrespect or attempt to get a physiological advantage against the Leafs should really hurt.

But Orr and McLaren are not the guys for the job. Their time in the NHL is over. I do hope to see Devane and Biggs up soon. But we need some nastiness in the top six as well. Some one like Tom Wilson would be excellent but I doubt Caps would trade him.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Detroit, Tampa, Montreal, Pittsburgh, New York Islanders, Washington, New York, Boston.

When I think of those teams, I think of 4th lines full of goons!!!!!! wait a minute.

Don Cherry doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground. Go cry about seal meat some more you ignorant idiot.

Top 5 teams in the league when it comes to fights are Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Columbus, Winnipeg and Anaheim. A mix of some of the best and worst teams.

Bottom 5 teams in the league when it comes to fights are Detroit, Florida, Nashville, Carolina and Toronto. Again, a mix of the best and worst teams.

Fighting does not really matter much, it is the teams attitude and when they fight that matters.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Honestly, I agree with bringing Orr back, not McLaren.

Going back to pre-season, Colton Orr made a real case to make the roster, however it was between him and Brandon Kozun/Josh Leivo, and management decided to go with Brandon Kozun because they felt youth was the better route.

Orr isn't a completely useless player. He's a good forechecker and positive driver of possession, and his hits are hard, punishing hits, so when he's forechecking players are more hesitant to go into the corners to win puck battles.

He's also an important part of the leadership group. He never took the spotlight but he kept people on the straight-and-narrow.

I'm not saying it makes a case for him to be on the top line, but he should be on the team, especially at this point in the season, since it no longer "matters".

If Colton shows to be playing with some spark and draws some eyes between now and the trade deadline, the Leafs might be able to get a late pick in exchange for his services. Not that it's an amazing idea, but better to get something for him than nothing.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Colton Orr would make a big difference in this team's compete level.He not only intimidates the opposition to an extent he let's out girls play bigger.He also scares his teammates into playing harder.
This team we see now is the exact opposite of Orr(hard working and tough).It's Phil Keesel -soft,lazy,and not willing to give eveyrthing they have to win.Orr wouldn't let his teammates get away with playing this way.
How is playing a fighter 5 minutes a game going to hurt .It's not like our fourth line puts up many points anyway.And if the other team won't fight,you give them a reason to.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Good post and I agree. We do miss that protective aggressiveness as much as we miss an aggressive forecheck. A lot of fans made jokes about Clarkson and the water bottle incident, so have I, but it is that kind of attitude we need. If we draw a line and does not accept anyone stepping over it and act as soon as some one does, well then we will get both feared and respected. Every little incident should demand a reaction from our team, like the water bottle incident, spraying ice on the goalie, making a hard but borderline hit, celebrate in front of our bench or in the face of our goalie etc Every act of disrespect or attempt to get a physiological advantage against the Leafs should really hurt.

But Orr and McLaren are not the guys for the job. Their time in the NHL is over. I do hope to see Devane and Biggs up soon. But we need some nastiness in the top six as well. Some one like Tom Wilson would be excellent but I doubt Caps would trade him.

Intimidation in our top 6 would lead to more opponent turnovers IMO. Tom Wilson was the exact guy I was thinking about when I was writing my post to be honest.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Intimidation in our top 6 would lead to more opponent turnovers IMO. Tom Wilson was the exact guy I was thinking about when I was writing my post to be honest.

Sure, if we're playing a team full of Kessel type players. ;)

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
As many here have stated it's absolutely true: We should bring McLaren and or Orr back because of the fact that even if we lose or win, it would be tougher to play against us. We have lost almost every game after carly got fired.... so why not lose with dignity?

Our sore losers right now are the worst scum. I'm ashamed... this is not MY maple leafs. No no no. No no no. They are not. I want players who make it tough to play against. Don't matter if they lose. McLaren and Orr are warriors who lose with dignity. Love them. They made our playoff team two years ago. Nobody else. Bunch of losers right now our maple leafs. Management doing awful job by not bringing warriors back when this team is already losing every game they play. Play different type of entertaining hockey game while at it with different type of tough as nails players like Orr and McLaren.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010

Kind of a random team selection you have there. Detroit and TB have no one, but Isles run with Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck while Caps run with Chimera-Latta-Wilson :laugh:

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Goons have already gone the way of the dinosaur in the NHL. Simply isn't a place for a player who has no skill whatsoever beyond facepunching. Pests are fine - which is why Komarov is such an effective player - he makes nice hits, and gets under the skin of the opposition while also being competent with the puck.

Yeah like Komarov is gonna stand up to a Prust or Scott when he runs our goalie or goes after Kessel.

Rmac82

Jan 17, 2012
Clarkson is terrible. What a waste of good money that was. Keep a guy who only shows up every 8th game around for 7 years - yeah thats just what we need. Get Orr back in the lineup and let him smash some heads. We may not be a playoff contender but we can play spoiler.

I think we need more "truculence"....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad