Sportsnet: Cherry: Maple Leafs need Orr, McLaren back

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
So agreed. There once was a time I was interested in what he had to say. That time passed 5 to 7 years ago.

when he's talking about player safety, i'm good with that, but, almost everything else he says disgusts me on one level or another, and being of European background, more-so than some.

...sometimes i feel like he's paid to be a spokesperson for the armed forces. If i want to hear military talk, i'll tune in CNN.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
when he's talking about player safety, i'm good with that, but, almost everything else he says disgusts me on one level or another, and being of European background, more-so than some.

...sometimes i feel like he's paid to be a spokesperson for the armed forces. If i want to hear military talk, i'll tune in CNN.

Or Fox news.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Canada's #1 recruiter.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
"Look at Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck" to "We need Orr and McLaren" seems like it's missing a key logical argument in the middle there.

(They're not the same).

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Dress 6 goons while we're tanking. They'll definitely make this team worse

MacWilliam(why not*) - Devane - Bodie
Orr - Biggs - McLaren

*not like these lines will touch the puck anyways.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
I miss Wendel. :(

I'm not sure if Orr or McLaren have the fundamentals to keep up, but I do have a soft spot for these guys, anyone who doesn't think they played a role in the 2012-2013 season is just being ignorant. But 2 years is a lot of time for a player; but I'm sure people wouldn't argue with a tough guy who can skate--if you only give Smith 2-3 minutes a game, where's the harm in putting someone who would add some grit to this flaccid and cowardly lot?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
"Look at Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck" to "We need Orr and McLaren" seems like it's missing a key logical argument in the middle there.

(They're not the same).

face punching on skates is all the talent you need to be on team Cherry! :sarcasm:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Dress 6 goons while we're tanking. They'll definitely make this team worse

MacWilliam(why not*) - Devane - Bodie
Orr - Biggs - McLaren

*not like these lines will touch the puck anyways.

We should call Bergevin (Habs 3 games left this season against us) and Snow (Islanders 2 games left) and say if they are interested in any of our rentals they should make some tempting bids now. And also remind them of that we have some really pissed off goons in the AHL who would nothing more then to have one last go at the NHL level.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I don't think Orr or McLaren will make a difference, but he's not entirely wrong. This team is soft. They are pushovers. And it's sad how the few players that play with an edge are the same people that everyone's lining up to ship out of town (Phaneuf).

The Leafs are bad, I won't argue otherwise. But to be bad and soft? That's an extra kick to the groin.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Cherry is a novelty and not to be taken seriously. The game has passed him by so much that even the average poster on here probably has a better grasp of it now.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
I'm not saying Orr and McLaren are the answer for this team right because they're not. But Cherry has a point.

Teams used to hate playing us. No one hates us now. We've got some toughness but we're way too nice.

The last time we made the playoffs Orr, McLaren and Fraser all played the full season for us.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland

(They're not the same).

Bang on.
Martin and Clutterbuck are hockey players with toughness. They also play with a smart young centre in Cizikas. These 3 players are gritty, tough, responsible players.

Orr, Mclaren, while tough are complete liabilities from the drop of the puck to the last whistle.

You want to be a tough team to play against, get players that initiate contact, not run from it and avoid it. The isles 4th line has 33 points in 151 games. They're contributing.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I'm not saying Orr and McLaren are the answer for this team right because they're not. But Cherry has a point.

Teams used to hate playing us. No one hates us now. We've got some toughness but we're way too nice.

The last time we made the playoffs Orr, McLaren and Fraser all played the full season for us.

Last time we made the playoffs we did not play a full season...

I think one of the main reasons behind us making the playoffs was out PK that was 2nd in the league. That we had very good shooting % and that Reimer bailed us out game after game.
We was still a team who was out shot regularly. 28th in the league in shots for and 27th in the league for shots against.
I do agree that the team was more fun to watch and that it had some swagger. Not really sure how much of it can be contributed to Orr and McLaren.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Ya, having a couple fourth liners that play 3 minutes a night is the difference in us making the playoffs or not. The challenge is finding tough guys with skill that can play up in the top 9. Great that you can fight, but can you play hockey? You're no good on the bench.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

(They're not the same).

Just like the OP says we need more truculence in the lineup, then goes on to say that Clark could score and fight.

It's almost like there's a HUGE discrepancy between Orr/McLaren to Wendel ****ing Clark.

:help:

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The team went down hill when Nonis thought it was a good idea to buy out Grabs and get Bolland. We need talent and lots of it.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
The bi-polar Leaf board. get rid of them and bring them back. I will say this. Next year we will have a much younger team and we will need Orr on this team along with one other.

Orr's career is over. He ia a healthy scratch for Marlies LOL and he is UFA July 1 to anyone who has the stupidity to sign him.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The bi-polar Leaf board. get rid of them and bring them back. I will say this. Next year we will have a much younger team and we will need Orr on this team along with one other.

You mean we are all suppose to have one opinion?? :laugh:

mikebel111*

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...fs-need-bring-back-colton-orr-frazer-mclaren/

Yes I agree bring them back. Also bring back Mike Brown.

The Leafs are an extremely wimpy team....no one throws big hits when they have a clear shot at one!! It drives me nuts!!

Wendel Clark could score 20-30 and smack you in the face doing it.

Yes bring back the guys that are healthy scratched in the AHL. Stanley cup here we come!
And did you just compare them to Clark!:facepalm:
That is a huge insult to Clark.
Yes Orr could score 20-30 as well. Not!!!!
Goons are stupid players and we dont need them here. Thank you Nonis for sending them down. Not trade them as well.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Orr has only dressed for 11GP in the AHL, and has put up... 0 points. -5.

McLaren has dressed for 6GP. 1A.

These are some of the worst hockey players in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad