Checkers V: Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
This makes absolutely zero sense...

Why would they move Charlotte to Chicago when there is already a team there? If his link is with the Wolves, it would make more sense just to change affiliations. Of course the logistics of moving players up/down would get more complicated which is the opposite of recent affiliation trends. I put this speculation on par with "planes fly between Raleigh and Quebec therefore Canes are moving to Quebec" levels of BS. Plus Kahn owns the Checkers, not DW, he can't do anything with them...I also don't see the Checkers leaving Charlotte any time soon with >25 years history there

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I assume he's just talking about an affiliation change.

Does Khan still have an ownership stake in the parent club? I could maybe buy Chicago's independent ownership making Dundon an offer that makes financial sense, but it's illogical to think about if you're leaving your minority owner holding the bag.

Reactions: Unsustainable

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
FWIW he also recently speculated teams are interested in David Backes from Boston...you know, the $6M, 20 pt player who COMPLETELY cleared waivers not long ago? Yea, I bet teams are chomping at the bit for him

Well, it's always going to be a trade with guys like Backes, not a waiver claim. The acquiring team is either going to dump one of their own bad contracts or get a draft pick or prospect as a sweetener. The teams don't necessarily want Backes, they want the other parts of the trade.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Teams might be interested in getting compensated to take him, but noone is interested in taking him for nothing.

Well, it's always going to be a trade with guys like Backes, not a waiver claim. The acquiring team is either going to dump one of their own bad contracts or get a draft pick or prospect as a sweetener. The teams don't necessarily want Backes, they want the other parts of the trade.
Agreed, teams might be interested in taking Backes for compensation, but he implied teams were interested in *Backes* himself (unless it's the Blues for free so he can retire, I don't see it)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That would be incredibly stupid to not have the Checkers be the Canes affiliate anymore. The travel would be more expensive for one thing, you're also creating a lot of ill-will among season ticket holders doing something like that.

It's hard enough to get people in this damn town to pay any kind of attention to the Canes w/o the usual "lol Raleighs team" "lol Hockey is a not a major/southern sport". And for Gods sake they just won a f***ing championship, you know the last time a Charlotte team won a championship? Well the Panthers and Hornets are 0-fer so theres that.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
That would be incredibly stupid to not have the Checkers be the Canes affiliate anymore. The travel would be more expensive for one thing, you're also creating a lot of ill-will among season ticket holders doing something like that.

It's hard enough to get people in this damn town to pay any kind of attention to the Canes w/o the usual "lol Raleighs team" "lol Hockey is a not a major/southern sport". And for Gods sake they just won a ****ing championship, you know the last time a Charlotte team won a championship? Well the Panthers and Hornets are 0-fer so theres that.
Yeah. If anything, they should be pushing the connection more, not getting rid of it. Get another preseason game over there.

Great to see Geekie killing it after his slump earlier this season. I still really like him as a prospect.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

It's hard enough to get people in this damn town to pay any kind of attention to the Canes w/o the usual "lol Raleighs team" "lol Hockey is a not a major/southern sport". And for Gods sake they just won a ****ing championship, you know the last time a Charlotte team won a championship? Well the Panthers and Hornets are 0-fer so theres that.
Checkers ECHL Riley Cup?

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Checkers ECHL Riley Cup?

So I did some digging (and by digging I mean Wikipedia research).

Charlotte Independence: Nothing
Charlotte Eagles: 2017 Premier Development League Champs (now known as the USL League Two)
Charlotte Hounds: Nothing
Charlotte Knights: 1999 IL Champs (Before the Triple-A Championship game)

So 2017, not as long ago as I thought but very few people know the Eagles even exist, hell I barely know of their existence. But we all know the Hornets/Panthers have nothing and barring a Panthers run to the Super Bowl again, will likely remain at nothing, so it's up to the Checkers and minor-league pals to pick up the slack.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
For as frustrated as the Canes have made us lately, the Checkers kicking ass again in a league where champs get gutted and have to start over is damn impressive. Slow start but they've clawed their way back into contention. Currently sitting 5th in the East, 3rd in the Atlantic.

And, another rant here, but this team deserves more respect around here (Charlotte). I get it's minor-league and the NFL and NBA are here and folks here love them some Carolina/Duke hoops but this team is by far and away the best team in town. They're well run, a committed owner, they make the playoffs often, defending champs, and they've got more great players coming in the next few years so they are set up to be competitive for awhile. But even the Knights get a lot of attention on local sports talk and local TV and they haven't done jack shit in years. Barely anyone covered the Checkers run last year except the Checkers themselves. The local news played it off like "So the Checkers won the Calder Cup, yeah thats cool, good night here's the late night show".

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
For as frustrated as the Canes have made us lately, the Checkers kicking ass again in a league where champs get gutted and have to start over is damn impressive. Slow start but they've clawed their way back into contention. Currently sitting 5th in the East, 3rd in the Atlantic.

And, another rant here, but this team deserves more respect around here (Charlotte). I get it's minor-league and the NFL and NBA are here and folks here love them some Carolina/Duke hoops but this team is by far and away the best team in town. They're well run, a committed owner, they make the playoffs often, defending champs, and they've got more great players coming in the next few years so they are set up to be competitive for awhile. But even the Knights get a lot of attention on local sports talk and local TV and they haven't done jack **** in years. Barely anyone covered the Checkers run last year except the Checkers themselves. The local news played it off like "So the Checkers won the Calder Cup, yeah thats cool, good night here's the late night show".

The Canes just need to adjust their play to compensate for no Dougie. It's hard, but it can be done. I'm not too concerned about our team despite our brutal division. We're essentially in the incredibly early part of our contention window, as shown by our #3 prospect pool and great AHL team.

As far as this Charlotte game is concerned, it's encouraging to see Stelio killing it tonight after being out most of the year. More games like this, and he'll be back into consideration for our Top 20 prospects rankings after beating cancer.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
Anyone else nervous that Bean or Goat or Geekie might get traded for short-term help? Just me? Okay carry on.

I personally think it's more likely Kuokkanen, McKeown or Geekie out of that list is traded. It's likely at least one of Canes' current "old" prospects will make a decent career somewhere else a la Nick Roy. My guess is it would be Kuokkanen or McKeown, decent enough to play NHL but overshadowed by others or not stylistically match for Canes.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Charlotte with a 5 goal 2nd, up 5-1. Bean 3 assists. Mattheos 2 assists. Goat 1-1.

So excited for Mattheos, great start for him! Honestly think he’d be cracking our top 15, maybe even top 10 prospects if it weren’t for the cancer fight and the injury. I like him as a prospect a lot. Excited to see what he can show the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad