Checkers V: Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
One guy that has really been an afterthought this season is Forsling. I think you’d could make an argument that he’s been the most steady 2-way guys in Charlotte this year. I wonder what they do with him going into the off-season - give him a 1-way deal as the 7D? Don’t qualify? I can’t imagine he’d be down for another season in the minors.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
One guy that has really been an afterthought this season is Forsling. I think you’d could make an argument that he’s been the most steady 2-way guys in Charlotte this year. I wonder what they do with him going into the off-season - give him a 1-way deal as the 7D? Don’t qualify? I can’t imagine he’d be down for another season in the minors.

My bet is that Forsling and McKeown get 1-way contracts and battle it out for the #7 spot, and the loser goes to the AHL and gets the captaincy. Getting paid an NHL salary is, shall we say, a nice consolation prize if you have to play in Charlotte. Jake Bean will win the #6 job outright out of camp.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wonder if the Canes continue to push for a more defensive minded 2nd pairing guy in the off-season to play alongside Pesce like they were reportedly trying to do before Dougie got hurt. I guess part of it will be how Gardiner continues to play for the remainder of the season.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I wonder if the Canes continue to push for a more defensive minded 2nd pairing guy in the off-season to play alongside Pesce like they were reportedly trying to do before Dougie got hurt. I guess part of it will be how Gardiner continues to play for the remainder of the season.

I think that Gardiner's recent emergence lessens the need for a potential defensive acquisition to play with Pesce. OTOH, it doesn't stop them for pursuing a guy like Brodin to take the spot of a Joel Edmundson (who can be dealt in a separate transaction, probably to Winnipeg) and be a luxury item for a rental +1.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think that Gardiner's recent emergence lessens the need for a potential defensive acquisition to play with Pesce. OTOH, it doesn't stop them for pursuing a guy like Brodin to take the spot of a Joel Edmundson (who can be dealt in a separate transaction, probably to Winnipeg) and be a luxury item for a rental +1.
Right. That’s why I question it. if they pursue a Brodin type, then tI struggle to see a spot for Bean and McKeown/Forsling, unless of course Fleury or Gardiner is moved.
Slavin-Hamilton
Brodin type - Pesce
Gardiner/ Fleury/bean

I really won’t be surprised to see Fleury moved and I hope they don’t re-sign Edmundson

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if McKeown is moved in a deal similar to Carrick and Forsling goes to Europe or some such either.

Again, the thing is that both have played well enough to get a QO. It's just a question of whether the Canes are willing to give them a shot as a #7 guy or if another team is willing to trade for them in order to give them their shot.

Reactions: Unsustainable

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Carrick was great last year and they moved on. I could easily see them doing the same this off-season with either or both of those guys. It just feels like how they operate.

It's not an indicator of their play in my mind. Just making sure guys don't age way out waiting for a chance that we may never give.

If we have Pesce, Slavin, Hamilton, and Gardiner, I'd think any combination of Fleury, Bean, Priskie get a spot or two and we buy our next dman as we've made clear we will for a couple years now.

Not much space for Claesson, Forsling, and McKeown then.

We'll see how it plays out.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Carrick was great last year and they moved on. I could easily see them doing the same this off-season with either or both of those guys. It just feels like how they operate.

It's not an indicator of their play in my mind. Just making sure guys don't age way out waiting for a chance that we may never give.

If we have Pesce, Slavin, Hamilton, and Gardiner, I'd think any combination of Fleury, Bean, Priskie get a spot or two and we buy our next dman as we've made clear we will for a couple years now.

Not much space for Claesson, Forsling, and McKeown then.

We'll see how it plays out.
Carrick to me was never going to be more than a tweener, he was Faulk-lite in every way. He just wasn't good enough, especially with the depth we had, so understandably after last year he left to get another shot elsewhere (and he's been an AHL-player there too). McKeown I could see doing the same after this year. I think he's replaceable at the NHL level, but I think he'd also make a sturdy, cheap #6/7 guy for next year. I see Forsling/Claesson going to Europe next year if nobody gives them an NHL contract (not going to want to play AHL contract at that age)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad