Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I find it hilarious that when he scores we all get so excited we don't even care that we're a bunch of adults (50% men) passionately yelling out "It's raining men, hallelujah it's raining men!!"

“It’s raining men” is on my Spotify 80’s playlist and regularly gets belted out when it comes on. Great song.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Offseason, you know.

So thinking about the Checkers lineup given the players they have lost. With Necas the only likely promotion among the forwards, the top three lines will still be among the best in the AHL.

Kuokkanen/Geekie/Mattheos
Pritchard/Luostarinen/Gauthier
Lorentz/Gibbons/Smallman

Obviously just guessing at the lines, but the talent is strong however it is combined.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Offseason, you know.

So thinking about the Checkers lineup given the players they have lost. With Necas the only likely promotion among the forwards, the top three lines will still be among the best in the AHL.

Lorentz/Gibbons/Smallman

Obviously just guessing at the lines, but the talent is strong however it is combined.

I wonder if Stortini comes back, good veteran guy that was a fan favorite

Reactions: emptyNedder

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Offseason, you know.

Lorentz/Gibbons/Smallman

Not sure Lorentz doesn't center either the 3rd or 4th line.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Offseason, you know.

Lorentz/Gibbons/Smallman

I don't know that I'm looking at that top 9 and thinking "among the best in the AHL."

I'm thinking "that's a very different top 9 than last year." And that's really it. Looks like an average AHL forward group to me.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Offseason, you know.

Lorentz/Gibbons/Smallman

I don't know that I'm looking at that top 9 and thinking "among the best in the AHL."

I'm thinking "that's a very different top 9 than last year." And that's really it. Looks like an average AHL forward group to me.
I'm inclined to agree with Anton here...on that lineup listed Kooks is the only guy who was a PPG guy last year, Goat and Geekie probably being the most likely to start heading in that direction...and Gibbons of course is a good vet (but not PPG player). Mattheos looked good in his end of year role, but still a rookie, Luos is a rookie coming from Europe, Pritchard is a rookie who had 1 point in the playoffs after PPG in NCAA so he's really a complete unknown overage rookie. Lorentz and Smallman are good depth players with potential. Of course, don't forget to add Bishop into that lineup now too! To me, that's basically about how you'd define a lot of AHL teams though...just compare the roster you listed to what we had last year and it's a noticeable difference. I think Ned/Booth/Helvig give us above average goaltending. Our defense though is Lintuniemi and MAYBE Sellgren if he chooses not to go the SHL route. I would hope McKeown is back. We'll either have Bean or Forsling. I honestly don't see a reason for Carrick to return vs going the Euro route unless he's being paid well to be an AHL vet. I don't know where we're getting our other 2-4 d-men from though, it may be our weakest link

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006

I'm guessing Bishop could be assumed in the mix, but...wow, that roster has been picked clean.

Departures (points-scored rank):
(1) Andrew Poturalski
(2) Aleksi Saarela
(3) Martin Necas [assumed on my part]
(9) Nicholas Schilkey
(10) Nicolas Roy
(11) Patrick Brown
(13) Daniel Renouf
(14) Greg McKegg
(15) Tomas Jurco
(16) Saku Maenalanen [assumed on my part]
(17) Zach Nastasiuk
(18) Dennis Robertson
(20) Josiah Didier

I realize that some near the bottom didn't move the needle much in terms of points, but they still have to be replaced. And this doesn't include guys who are unsigned, like Trevor Carrick (4) and Roland McKeown (12).

I don't know how anyone looks at that roster at thinks it's *improved*. At best, it's still too incomplete to judge at this point.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Looks like I picked the wrong moment to comment on the Checkers roster.

hqdefault.jpg

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Very different and it doesn't look to me like it would be much above average.

I will say that the top-6 looks less talented overall but they look like a better fit as potential Hurricanes players. Saarela, Roy, Poturalski, etc. just never seemed like they fit with the Canes style. Whereas Geekie, Kuokkanen, Mattheos, Loustarinen, and Gauthier all play a game that has more appeal to what Rod is preaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia